Existential Sprinkling Problem - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
x11
Banned

my dogs eat healthier than most people do, is that like what yr saying.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #42 (permalink)

Not at all (god knows Barack eats better than I do as well lol)... but I don't wish to derail the thread trying to explain any further.

Have great evening!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i think you bring out a good point tho some genuine well meaning people who may be less internet savvy can really get off on the wrong foot just by a few poorly chosen words and it all goes downhill from there. i have certainly been that person many times but i think i have more productive approaches to it now. still that guys username indicates something quiet sinister and less innocent. "ishootfriendlies" really, surprised the mods let that stand given the current state of things around the world.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
Elite Member

Puppy did something like this when she was younger. I classified it as excited peeing be cause it usually happens when she gets to play with my mother (rare), or when there were many new guests over who were greeting her. She would be so excited to get to them, and then pee a little. She wasn't submitting...the only conflicted feeling she might have experienced is that she was taught to greet calmly, and sometimes can't restrain herself.

It stopped when she got a bit older. She is 16 months now and has LONG since not had this problem...so far away in fact, I couldn't put an age to it.

I'm a first time dog owner too, and certainly no expert. But what you might have successes with:

1. Carmspack's suggestion of leading your dog to the crate instead of creating the conflicting feeling for your dog. This will set your dog up for success since it ensures that your dog won't experience the feelings that make him want to pee.

I do this myself. I've trained Puppy to go into her crate on command, but rarely use this command in the real situation of wanting to put her away. I don't want her to associate the command with being removed from people and fun.

2. Have your dog pee first, and then introduce your dog to something that you know excites the dog/makes the dog want to sprinkle, maybe while you're outside still. Maybe more exposure to the family might make at least this less exciting, and the dog more enjoyable at home. I think keeping the dog away from the family will only make it more exciting for the dog when it does get an opportunity to interact.

3. Tarp the carpet. When I first got pup, I tarped my bedroom and the living room of my aparment, which is where the dog would be spending most of her time. I knew she was going to have accidents (which you know too) and wanted to not strain our relationship by making the cleanup as easy for me as possible. Tarp was all of 10 dollars. I duck taped it to the base of the wall/carpet, and kept it there until she was completely reliable in the house. You might want to try the tarp and keep it there until the peeing isn't such an issue anymore.

When Puppy was growing up, I felt frustrated with her alot (for different reasons, not peeing), and that strained our relationship because she and I both felt it. Your dog can probably feel your emotions too, even if you don't show it when he pees.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just going to go in a different direction just in case this is medical that is being exacerbated by an emotional conflict and/or simply the age of the dog - perhaps confused a bit.

Natural Dog Incontinence Remedies | Herbal and Homeopathic Remedies for Canine Urinary Incontinence

Pulsatilla

Your dog needs this remedy if she has a very weak urethral sphincter muscle (a sphincter is a circular muscle at the end of the urethra. It restricts urine flow.).

Dogs with weak sphincter muscles spill urine easily, especially when they are excited, or when they are sleeping or resting.

Kreosotum

If you suspect that your dog's leaky problem is due to stress or emotional problems, try this remedy.

Urinary Incontinence in Dogs: Causes, Treatments

On another note, How much exercise is the dog getting? Is he walked 2-3x per day, or is it an a.m. - out of the crate, back yard, do his business, couple sniffs and back in, people off to work, get home, let the dog out in backyard, people put dinner on, flick on the t.v - see what's happening in the news...weekend is here - lets go for a walk, or to the dog park.

How much interaction is this dog getting with the outside world? Dog friends, hikes, sports...

Questions are rehtoricle...just putting out something to consider to strengthen the bond if there is fear there, exercise/training will help, if excitement, exercise will help burn him out as well as mental stimulation...some members have great ideas for indoor training like hide and seek (people or things).

Using treats as one mentioned to help take the risk out of asking the dog to offer a sit or down...do you smile when you talk to your dog? Try smiling, trick I read about talking on the phone to someone you never met and don't want to come across rude or angry, if you smile while you are talking, asking, commanding then your emotions/tone will too
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lets look at why puppies pee.

Puppies pee because they have a small bladder and they drink so they need to go out frequently -- that is not the problem here.

Puppies pee to mark territory, often times pups at this age do not lift legs yet. Marking can start this early, but dogs are definitely aware of what they are doing when they mark. A mark is done when the dog sniffs another dog, either male or female, and he wants to cover that mark with his own. That simply isn't happening here.

Puppies pee to calm the raging beast. In the pack puppies run about, play, walk all over the other elder pack members. And at some point, Momma or Papa or some other pack member may decide that Pup is a pest and needs to cool his jets. They do not give time-outs. They will punish Pup. But Pup has the cool stuff in his urine that actually calms other animals. When a dog charges up to Pup, and starts to give him what for, Pup can spray (involuntarily) a little pee and the charging dog will smell the pharamone or whatever it is, and realize, "Oh, this is just a youngin'." and generally it will go on it way realizing it is no threat whatsoever, and it has the message.

Now, I really don't buy into all the alpha theory stuff, but I do buy into puppies and their pee. And they do translate this to their humans. If I have a puppy leaking when I give it a command or try to get it from here to there, I realize that I need to back down a little.

Critters do not all cower and cringe or slink when they feel fear. In fact, some bark and lunge, and people think they are dominant or aggressive. Still others shut down, and refuse to try to do what is desired, and people think they are stubborn. Fear manifests itself in many ways, and submissive (or excited) urination is one of them. I think the term anxious urination is a better description, because it is ALWAYS due to a lack of confidence in the situation.

This DOES NOT mean your pup is defective. It simply means he needs to become more comfortable in the situation. Maybe that means you need to back down in your training and how you command your puppy to do what you want. For example, I personally would not open my front door and order a pup of this age to lie there and wait -- too dangerous. I would put a lead on the pup, tell him to sit and then wait, and then open the door. If he does not bounce through at the first opportunity, reward. But I would not let be at the point where I would trust the pup to lay at my feet while the perils and people in the front yard were open to him.

To save your floors, why not take the pup out the back door, where there hopefully is a fence and fewer distractions. Front door is off limits totally. Then if you want to leave the yard to go for a walk into the crazyness of the front, which is causing some anxiety in the pup -- you call it excitement, go into the front from the back yard. Then if he squirts a little it will be outside, no harm, no foul.

After all that, tell me what this is:

3.5 year old dog, Canine Good Citizen, Therapy Dog, AKC titles, never any problem with submissive or inappropriate urination. I took the boy over to his breeder's home so they could see him. He peed all over the woman's foot. Talk about embarrassed.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

I actually think more dogs would do it except they have indeed developed some sphincter control.
We have a few boys who, when you pick them up to do their nails or something, will sniff their "boy parts" when you put them back down.
THEY think they did, but they didn't.

The thing to keep in mind is urine is, to us, a mess to clean.
To dogs, it's wayyy more.
To dogs, it's communication.
Unfortunately, people get too irritated about the mess to listen
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't have this problem, but it could happen with another pup. So, I am learning, what great tips. Marshies, tarping down the carpet - now, this is smart - why didn't I think of that- I will do that next time I puppy train. Selzer - you gave me a much needed dog's point of view on the urine issue and a laugh on this cold blue Monday.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #49 (permalink)

Well, I think that about wraps it up. Thanks for the all good advice. I appreciate the input.
ishootfriendlies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #50 (permalink)

So this is an old thread I started, and here we are almost 8 months later with the same problem.

I took a lot of the advice from this thread:
1. Ignore the involuntary peeing
2. Make the situation more familiar
3. Reward calm behavior
4. Have the vet check him
5. Pee before an exciting situation

The problem has not subsided. He is now 15 months, and he still does a little squirt of pee meeting people (even people he has met dozens of times), at the door, and whenever you put his leash on or take it off. Every time.

Even if I take him out and he empties his bladder, 30 seconds later when I take off his leash will do a healthy squirt of pee. He has never been hurt by a stranger or when he was getting his leash attached, so this is really baffling.

The only thing that has changed is the amount (more now than before) and he actually squats a little now, which he did not do before.

Any additional suggestions? Has anyone had a dog with this behavior this late in life that spontaneously cleared up later? Any help is appreciated.
ishootfriendlies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.