Existential Sprinkling Problem - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
But what is the owner doing all this time? Voice getting sterner, staring at dog , pointing to crate, when dog slinks in , door slams? .
No idea.
It's what I thought, too, but OP is saying he is not giving any indication of displeasure, so I don't know what to advise.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootfriendlies View Post
What you say is good. If I "Suggest" (for the sensitive) him to get in his cage, and he obeys but does a little squirt, do I still reward him? Should the reward be just for obedience whether he squirts or not? I have been on the fence about this, as I believe he does not know he is doing it.
I would definitely reward. remember you are rewarding the obedience, not the urination. if you are consistent, with your rewarding the obedience whether he urinates or not, he will definitely make the connection of being rewarded for the obedience, rather than for the urination.

Also remember that although your dog is an older puppy, he is still a puppy and may still be struggling to "hold it", remember that even humans struggle with having 'weak' bladders and although the dog may be able to consciously hold it, when his mind is focused on other things (that thing he really REALLY wants to do), that focus may go.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #33 (permalink)

Funny how so many Dog experts suck at communicating with people.

The guy is on the forum looking for help, which would indicate that he does want to keep his dog, but he's nearing his wits end and expressing it to us (humans). It's good to vent on the internet and not on the dog; which is what the OP is doing.

Lol at everyone that got on the OP's case for using the word "Commanding"...I mean really? Leading, Commanding, Telling, Ordering... straw man BS.

At least the OP has the right attitude find the 5 or 6 helpful post and move on as I'm sure he won't be re homing his dog because some self proclaimed dog experts say so on the internet with a condescending attitude.

Good luck with the submissive/excitement urination, my baby boy sprays all over when he meets new people, I don't sweat it as I'm sure he'll grow out of it. He is after all just a baby! =)
Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well,he is old enough to mark his territory, but after your explained his behavior, that isn't what he is doing. I am sure it is frustrating to deal with, but from the other posts, I have gotten the impression that he will outgrow it if there is no stress put on him when he does it and you ignore the behavior. I do think that the suggestions that he be taken out to relieve himself more frequently especially before having him do something that triggers the peeing and also to diffuse the tension with treats for good behavior for promptly sitting, or whatever you told him to do. You may want to look into clicker training (there are some excellent threads on it) as that is low stress and totally positive.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
So many times people unintentionally send off vibes--they are completely unaware of how they affect their dog.
This exactly.
Folks, I don't care that he used the word command. It's that he sees it as commanding the dog around, when you should be teaching the dog what you want, as carmen has said.

He could say "telecommunicate" for all I care - but it's the fact he does, indeed, "command" the dog, and apparently this dog is not a dog that can tolerate that, or there would not be a problem.

We can set aside all the arguments in the book about what words were used, and look at the dog.
The dog is having issues, because of how the owner is interacting with the dog.

Quote:
The very first sentence tells you that this person is very upset with the dog doing this and his welcome in this home is wearing out - there is an ultimatum - he's out of here , if he doesn't shape up . Boy there's no tension there.
Exactly this.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lets see, words don't matter.

Except the OP has been judged tried and convicted based on the words in the first statement. Hmmmm?

No one asked what kind of flooring the OP has or maybe I missed it.

It did occur to me though, their are people that may not want thousands of dollars worth of flooring/carpeting ruined.

Oh yeah, they shouldn't have dogs.

How about just helping with the peeing issue and forget about the personality assessment.

Just a thought.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
If we cannot correct this, he is gone (to another home).
Quote:
If it is not gone, and soon, he will have to go.
The quotes above are what rather irritates me not his/her use of the word "command".

Not every dog is perfect, my feeling is, if someone is willing to get rid of their dog because he has a submissive peeing issue, then it is in the best interest of the dog that he is placed in a new home or returned to the breeder

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 12-09-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageizm View Post
Funny how so many Dog experts suck at communicating with people.
I'm sure he won't be re homing his dog because some self proclaimed dog experts say so on the internet with a condescending attitude.
You might want to check the credentials of some of these posters, who have literally decades of owning, training and even breeding these dogs, before you go the condescending route yourself.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

To help the dog's peeing issue, we need to face the fact it's an owner problem and not the dog.

Get rid of the dog, fine. But the next dog is likely to have the same issues.

And yes, if you want a pristine home, and a carpet with no vomit, urine or poo stains, you might not want to get a dog. Or have a kid.

Should you want those things, you can either get a real nice carpet cleaner or tear the carpet out, like we did, ages ago

ETA - it's a dog problem, nearly universal to dogs (puppies actually)...but it becomes an owner problem if not dealt with correctly...when people say things like "If this problem doesn't go away the dog goes" it's usually of the belief the dog is defective/wrong/a problem, when, in reality, the owner has likely caused it, inadvertently, probably, but still.

Last edited by msvette2u; 12-09-2012 at 07:29 PM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
You might want to check the credentials of some of these posters, who have literally decades of owning, training and even breeding these dogs, before you go the condescending route yourself.
I haven't called into question any of their respective expertise when it comes to "owning, training, or even breeding" Dogs (see what I did there? =) ), simply pointing out their lack of interpersonal skills, when dealing with people is all.

It's like they've spent so long learning all this dog stuff, that they've lost a bit of sensitivity towards their fellow man.... I mean I love my dog and everything but I still like to talk/hang out/spend time with people too. After all no ones dog has ever told me a cool story about when "he went for a walk with his handler this one time...."

Granted the OP was being a bit dramatic in his initial post, but some of the responses seemed less than helpful, and I'd wager they talk to their dogs better than they treated him.

In my opinion that sucks.

Hope you had a great weekend Sunflower! =)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.