I'm Worried About My GSD Tess' Behavior - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1270 View Post
. On the day that I take her out in the yard and play ball with her and then walk her the best I
can , she's a little angel, which makes me think that she just has way too much energy and needs to burn it off.
Why isn't that EVERY day?
I am not a big fan of doggie day care she is playing and biting with all those other dogs then wants to come home and do the same with you.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got mine when she was 12 weeks. When she started to bite I would just say no biting in an high pitch voice and lucky enough that alone worked. After the first week she never bit me or anyone else. I do have to say that I kept her really busy too. She was in school, walking every day, obedience every day, toys everywhere for her to chew, and what I think is the most important thing, she had the two other dogs to play with all the time.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotahaveaGSD View Post
My sheperd is just over 2years old. I am in no way a dog trainer but Maya has tought me a lot about dog behavior. I'm shore others will agree. GSD's will keep you on your feet all the time. There are a lot of way's to stop or train your dog to not bite. What works depends on your dog. I've heard people trying freezing a stick of butter and putting it on your hands so the dog will lick your hands rather then bite. ( never tried it )

What I did was when she would bite, I would grab her snout with my fingers going all the way around so my thumb and my other four fingers were on her lips, so when she would bite down she would bite her own lip. This was very affective and the biting stopped soon after doing it. And no she never Bit so hard to hurt her self.

Another thing I did was make shore I had soft, rubber toys and hard bones to help with the teething stage.

I believe bitting is a behavior that needs to be fixed fast as possible. The important thing is not to give up.
your dog has a lovely name

On topic. My Maya was a bit of a landshark, but she has calmed down ALOT from when she was a little puppy. I attribute most of the change to her diet, I moved her off kibble, onto a raw food diet. If you are feeding kibble, make sure to feed a kibble that has no artificial colours or preservatives, I am pretty sure they make dogs go insane, much like children.

The reason I attribute it to her diet, is because she is still VERY nippy, during play, and actually drew blood on my mother last night, but thats a long story. I try to teach her bite inhibition, rather than no bite, because of many reasons including her being a puppy, teething, and the fact that bite inhibition maybe harder to teach when she is an adult lol.

Now she is very good at biting, but not hurting, or drawing blood, if we play rough and I say either "Ouch!" or "off" (ouch was more of an accidental train lol), then she knows either to let go or loosen her grip. The best thing to do is use a tug toy, give her something to really sink her teeth into, rather than getting told off for biting skin.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1270 View Post
Tess starts day care tomorrow and I can't wait to see how she does interacting with other pups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I am not a big fan of doggie day care she is playing and biting with all those other dogs then wants to come home and do the same with you.
Jocoyn has a point. Puppy playcare is great, but it isn't a substitute for training. While she's out there burning off energy wrestling and biting other puppies, you have to be very consistent with training when she gets home, or she will simply want to play with you the same way she plays with her dog friends.

Many of my grooming clients use doggy daycare, and I can always tell who is training their dog and who is simply using daycare as a substitute for training. The daycare dogs who are not trained tend to be mouthy, bratty, and very willing to wrestle with me as though grooming is a game. They've been conditioned to view someone touching and holding them as a invitation to play. For example, dogs bite each others legs in play... then when the dog is on my table and I go to pick up his leg, he thinks it's like another dog is biting him, and he responds accordingly. These dogs are a real challenge to groom unless their owners get a clue and start doing some obedience work and basic manners.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Why isn't that EVERY day?
Actually it is almost every day, but it has been raining the past couple of days, so I haven't been able to take her for walks or play in the yard due to all the mud. At first, taking her for a walk was very difficult, she did not like to leave her comfort zone, so I had to gradually work with her every day to get her to walk farther and father. She's now doing much better, I don't have to run behind her to keep up with her pulling me all the way home. When she starts to get anxious and pull in her hurry to get back, I will stop and will not move until she comes back to me and takes the tension off of the lead.

As far as day care is concerned, I need to socialize her more and only have a short window of opportunity now that she's getting bigger. The trainer who teaches us in her beginner training class is the one that suggested it. I have no intention of stopping her training, I work with her everyday and will continue to do so. I will take it one day at a time, if I see that it's not helping her, then I will stop it. I am starting out with 2 days a week but once she gets use to it, then it will be one day a week. I'm hoping that it will tire her out so when she comes home at the end of the day, she's not too hyper. I know a couple of people who take their dog to the same day care and they are very happy with the results. I sure hope I am too!

Last edited by Linda1270; 12-09-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
your dog has a lovely name

On topic. My Maya was a bit of a landshark, but she has calmed down ALOT from when she was a little puppy. I attribute most of the change to her diet, I moved her off kibble, onto a raw food diet. If you are feeding kibble, make sure to feed a kibble that has no artificial colours or preservatives, I am pretty sure they make dogs go insane, much like children.

The reason I attribute it to her diet, is because she is still VERY nippy, during play, and actually drew blood on my mother last night, but thats a long story. I try to teach her bite inhibition, rather than no bite, because of many reasons including her being a puppy, teething, and the fact that bite inhibition maybe harder to teach when she is an adult lol.

Now she is very good at biting, but not hurting, or drawing blood, if we play rough and I say either "Ouch!" or "off" (ouch was more of an accidental train lol), then she knows either to let go or loosen her grip. The best thing to do is use a tug toy, give her something to really sink her teeth into, rather than getting told off for biting skin.

Thank you Marc, I really appreciate your input and also, I notice that your dog Maya (she has a pretty name too) was born exactly one week after my dog Tess. Tess was born on August 23rd.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've taken Ava to daycare once or twice a week since she was 16 weeks old. She absolutely LOVES it. She has made great friends with some of the "regulars" (a black lab and a wheaton terrier, in particular) and is so excited whenever she gets to go "play with her puppies", as we call it. It has been really great for her, since she is our only pet, and it has also helped her interactions with the other dogs in her obedience classes, too. I highly recommend it if you can find a daycare that you like!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
I've taken Ava to daycare once or twice a week since she was 16 weeks old. She absolutely LOVES it. She has made great friends with some of the "regulars" (a black lab and a wheaton terrier, in particular) and is so excited whenever she gets to go "play with her puppies", as we call it. It has been really great for her, since she is our only pet, and it has also helped her interactions with the other dogs in her obedience classes, too. I highly recommend it if you can find a daycare that you like!
Thank you for letting me know that it's working out for Ava, that's very encouraging. Today was Tess' first day at daycare and she spent most of the day on the sidelines just watching all the other dogs I was hoping that she would interact with some of the dogs but I'm not going to give up yet. Although she didn't play, she didn't cry, bite or pick any fights with the other puppies, she acted like a little lady. I was told that lots of dogs went up to her and sniffed and licked her and Tess didn't react at all. There was another puppy that just started today and he/she tried to get Tess to play but she wouldn't.

Where she is so attached to both me and my husband, I think she might have thought that we left her there, but now that she knows that I didn't and came back to get her, I'm hoping that after a couple more times there, she will realize that she can play and that I will always come back for her.

She was so happy when I went to get her, she was all over me and even peed in her excitement to see me, although when she got home, she started to jump up on me, biting me all over, oh those puppy teeth hurt!

So I plan on taking her back again on Thursday and giving it another try; I'll hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.