German Shepherds Forum banner

How do I get my puppy to see me as Alpha?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lkellen 
#1 ·
My gsd just turned 9 months old and acts very differently around my boyfriend and I. (we live together)

With him, she is very sweet and affectionate, and listens to what he says.

With me, she is also affectionate, but for like 30 seconds, then she just wants to "bite" my hands, hair, whatever she can get. She doesn't listen to me at all, if I give her a command, she barks back at me and constantly jumps on me.

She has been to two different trainers and is starting a new trainer (in-home this time) on Sunday. She knows all of her commands but is just so stubborn with me! Is it a female thing?

#2 ·
She has 'been' to a trainer?

Or you and she both went to a trainer?

Completely different things. All the trainers I know already know how to train a dog and do so well. They aren't the problem with my dog, it's ME. So I know if I send my dog away, I'm getting her back with 1/2 the problem she was sent away with still in place. And that problem is ME!

My dog needs me to learn how to work with and train her. When we both go, we both learn together and it's amazing how I gain the leadership role.

#3 ·
Well, her first training program was a group class. She was about 3 months old, I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of her.

The second, we sent her to Man's Best Friend for 2 weeks, then followed up weekly with private classes WITH the trainer. However, it seemed she came back worse after her stay at MBF and the classes didn't really help. I also wasn't a fan of how they trained (which I found out AFTER the fact.)

This trainer will be training WITH us, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.