Agression problem between two brothers - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

in about a year or so one will be moving out with me, the other will be staying in my parents house. i bought a house but now were doing all the renovations and until it is livable they both will be living with us in 1 house. Shadow is my dog and Guiness is my dads. The pit mix isnt a problem at all, hes a VERY mellow dog and they both dont bother him, he doesnt get involved in the fights either. were trying to figure something out for the time being and giving one away is not an answer due to the fact they will be seperated within a year.
shadow79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Keeping them separated is the safest solution, you never know when somebody will get a bug up their butt and start a fight. I'd avoid the vet bill or worse. Good luck.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Perhaps look at neutering them - their hormones will be kicking in right about now too which will make things even "tenser" between the 2 boys
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

this maybe completely wrong, and I am not offering advice, just a suggestion.... maybe even a question for more experienced handlers but....

I know this may sound a bit draconian, but, dogs are pack animals, that survive in a hierarchy, thinking of wolves now, wolves will have a strict hierarchy, with the alpha male dictating the roles of the other dogs. Would it not make sense to create a situation, where one of the dogs is submissive to the other, for example, making one of the dogs regularly winning each confrontation, and in turn they are both submissive to you? in the wild, the dogs would settle thier differences quickly and the submissive one would learn his place, is this also not possible in the home? I know this sounds outdated and possibly even a little cruel on one of the dogs, but I think if it works, is it not better than rehoming one of the dogs?

dogs that grow up with their sire, tend to have a good relationship, because in my view, the puppy learns fast that "Daddy" is the boss, and does not try to challenge him, on the rare occasion a challenge does occur, then a rehoming may be in order, OR the sire may submit to the younger dog.

Im not a behaviourist, nor do I advocate anything in this post, but it makes sense to me, would love to hear some proffesional thoughts on this idea.

Last edited by Marc; 12-05-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
this maybe completely wrong, and I am not offering advice, just a suggestion.... maybe even a question for more experienced handlers but....

I know this may sound a bit draconian, but, dogs are pack animals, that survive in a hierarchy, thinking of wolves now, wolves will have a strict hierarchy, with the alpha male dictating the roles of the other dogs. Would it not make sense to create a situation, where one of the dogs is submissive to the other, for example, making one of the dogs regularly winning each confrontation, and in turn they are both submissive to you? in the wild, the dogs would settle thier differences quickly and the submissive one would learn his place, is this also not possible in the home? I know this sounds outdated and possibly even a little cruel on one of the dogs, but I think if it works, is it not better than rehoming one of the dogs?

dogs that grow up with their sire, tend to have a good relationship, because in my view, the puppy learns fast that "Daddy" is the boss, and does not try to challenge him, on the rare occasion a challenge does occur, then a rehoming may be in order, OR the sire may submit to the younger dog.

Im not a behaviourist, nor do I advocate anything in this post, but it makes sense to me, would love to hear some proffesional thoughts on this idea.
To be "natural" one of the males would be killed or driven away in all likely hood.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

in about a year or so one will be moving out with me, the other will be staying in my parents house
the fact they will be seperated within a year.

This is what you said , so please listen . Getting two was a bad idea . The breeder , I feel, took the easy way - yeah ! less effort to find homes . Neither party , yourself or your parents were truly ready to bring in two pups.
These pups are in a very demanding high hands-on stage in their development . They need to be raised by you , not by each other . NEITHER one will become the dog that he could have been . You can't put behavioural growth on hold , warehouse it till you are ready . The behaviour and interaction is dynamic and will make lasting impressions , change the dogs . I would say let the one you are taking go to a new home because you won't be ready for a year . House renovations done on time. HAHAHA - we did 5 houses - I don't recall things ever going smoothly , on time - always something .Your time and efforts are directed to the house . I cannot imagine any free time to train and bond with a young dog that needs these things - now - .
The other thing is the pitbull is a senior who deserves some peace and quiet. Although he may be a mellow dog , dynamics are still pack - when your two males get in to it , it is exciting -- just like a school yard duke-out when all of a sudden kids come "out of the woodwork" to look on , take a jab themselves, and egg them on. Pit may just be a spectator but the two gnashing young dogs , in their irritation , may lash out on him (unintentionally through excitement when brains are left behind) .

That would be a better situation. Enjoy the dog that will be staying behind. When you are settled in to your house , which may be two years away -- then - find yourself your personal dog.
just saying
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

I sure wish I would have known about this Littermate Syndrome a long time ago! When I first moved out on my own I got 2 Akitas. They were both male and littermates. I can't even begin to describe the nightmare that turned into. We were never able to get them trained to do anything and they acted like they were completely nuts. After about 2 years my oldest daughter came along and the dogs ended up with an Akita rescue. That whole experience really turned me off on the breed. Now I know it probably wasn't so much the breed as it was the circumstance.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I really really don't understand everyones freakout over two dogs from the same littler. I sucessfully raised two males. They lived peacefully for 9 years until my Shadow passed away from DM and yes I know I was lucky but I've had friends and family that have been just as successful.

I don't know if this will help you at all but I made sure my two never ate near each other, they had bowls of food in different rooms. One was neutered young the other got to wait until he was older. I don't know if by doing this we unintentionally did what Marc was talking about, but it never seemed like one was dominate over the other. Both were given a lot of exercise and attention and maybe they were just too tired to fight. We also had a little female Aussie who was very dominate and seemed to keep both boys in line.

All the dogs did a lot of 4-H obedience training with the kids. I also ran a Girl Scout troop, we did a bunch of camping and other stuff and there were always kids in and out paying lots attention to all of the dogs.

Anyway many will be glad to tell you how wrong I am, how lucky I was.. but I just wanted to share a success story with you.

Good luck. I hope it all works out!
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It will for sure be a nightmare if they are similar in energy and rank, which is hard to determine when they are these cute little fur balls in the litter. You may have a better chance if both pups are at the opposite end of the hierarchy spectrum; so one assertive and the other one soft.
Was this your combination Shepherdmom?
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
It will for sure be a nightmare if they are similar in energy and rank, which is hard to determine when they are these cute little fur balls in the litter. You may have a better chance if both pups are at the opposite end of the hierarchy spectrum; so one assertive and the other one soft.
Was this your combination Shepherdmom?
Neither one was really assertive. They were both really laid back good with people and other dogs..happy to let the little Aussie female we had rule the roost. The one who we didn't neuter right away was a little more assertive but neither one really seemed to care. Now both could sound loud and scary if the wrong person tried coming in the yard but for the most part they were both just big babies.

It's interesting after Shadow passed we got a little lab mix and Buddy was happy to go into the same share/share role with him but we recently picked up another rescue GSD, a female and now Buddy is all about being the regal aloof older gentleman with her. It's kind of funny to watch.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.