I'm so ticked of right now!! - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #61 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Sometimes when I have to get something dangerous out of her mouth.
For starters, Bubbles needs to be in places where she can't put dangerous things in her mouth. When you can't watch her put her in the crate or confine her to an area where all she can reach is her toys. (I use to tether Harley to the kitchen table leg when I was cooking etc.)

Quote:
She is 5 months old. I've tried treats and toys. I wish people would listen I was consistent with toys and treats until she learned if she bites she gets a toy. spray bottle helped until she became UN phased by the water.
There's fine line between putting a toy in a puppies mouth right before you know they're going to bite you (distraction) and giving them a toy so they stop biting you. (reward)
A trainer coming to your house for a few hours should be able to see what is it that you're doing wrong and help you become proactive rather than reactive.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #62 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Some clients call me for private training and when I get there and we start analyzing the situation and drawing up a plan of action all I get are "buts" so they don't have to take responsibility for their dog's behavior. It seems like they want the magic wand but not doing the work to get their dogs to improve. The people who are successful are the ones who take the advice and put in the work, as simple as that.
Bubbles, we all have offered you so much advice, yet it seems like it has fallen on deaf ears. What is it that you want from us? Validation to be ****** off with your dog? Find a behaviorist to seriously help you with your dog before she gets too strong physically and one gets hurt and then what? Contact Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources and go to trainer search in your area.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
I won't go back and quote each thread, but it is glaringly obvious you are blaming the dog and everyone else, instead of where it should be placed. Op, until you stand back and get yourself under control, all the good advice, trainers, behaviorists will not be able to make headway.

Sometimes, we are our own worse enemy. Your pup can and will pick up on your emotions. It is a game to them and they will keep pushing it.

Start NILIF, stop the kissing and hugging while eating, start redirecting - consistently. Don't try it for one day, then say it didn't work. This has become an ingrained behavior and will take longer to change. You remaining calm, no frustration will be the key.
I never blamed the dog. I went to people who were supposed to help with bubbles and me. they did no such thing. I take time training bubbles on my own. I do what I'm supposed to do if I have a problem i get a trainer, go to the vet. I haven't received any help from these people taking my money and time and not focus on my issues of why I'm there in the first place.

people accusing me of abusing my dog and not fully reading my problem. I know this isn't a teething problem. I know the difference when she's teething on my hand and the aggressive bites I receive while getting stuff out of her mouth or going on walks. she picks dangerous stuff up as we go on walks. like rocks, cactus fruit.

you want me to listen and take advice. I think you need to listen to what I'm saying too. I also just don't get a long with some people on this website they always misread what I say and it irritates me.

like I said AGAIN she is not aggressive or shows signs of aggression when she is eating she sometimes even rolls over while she's eating to be petted.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #64 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I never blamed the dog. I went to people who were supposed to help with bubbles and me. they did no such thing. I take time training bubbles on my own. I do what I'm supposed to do if I have a problem i get a trainer, go to the vet. I haven't received any help from these people taking my money and time and not focus on my issues of why I'm there in the first place.

people accusing me of abusing my dog and not fully reading my problem. I know this isn't a teething problem. I know the difference when she's teething on my hand and the aggressive bites I receive while getting stuff out of her mouth or going on walks. she picks dangerous stuff up as we go on walks. like rocks, cactus fruit.

you want me to listen and take advice. I think you need to listen to what I'm saying too. I also just don't get a long with some people on this website they always misread what I say and it irritates me.

like I said AGAIN she is not aggressive or shows signs of aggression when she is eating she sometimes even rolls over while she's eating to be petted.
You sound irritated and this won't help you train your dog. I think none of us can help you if you don't at least try so that's why it would be a good idea to search and interview trainers that can see what's going on. Patchon has asked for a video so we could see, but you don't respond to that (great) idea. This goes beyond the forum it seems like. I hope it works out for you and Bubbles. Good luck to you, I have tried my best to help you and this is my last attempt.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 12-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #65 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bubbles~We all read what you are writing, and it seems the consensus is obvious....have you read the links that have been posted in this thread? You keep repeating yourself.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #66 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I didn't have the biting issues with mine but I had a heck of a time potty training. It wasn't working until I sat down and really thought about what my dog needed. Once I understood this I had a whole different dog, one that I'm very proud to own today. None of it was her fault, but until I realized what I was doing wrong, it just wasn't working. I'm happy that I took that time Whether its training, potty training, or biting, as the handler you have to figure out what is best for you and your dog..it might take putting pieces together from every bit of advice that is given.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #67 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
she picks dangerous stuff up as we go on walks. like rocks, cactus fruit.
This is an example of what you are missing. It is simple. Don't let your puppy or dog pick up dangerous stuff when you walk.

Your puppy should be under control and paying attention to you.
Not aimlessly picking up dangerous stuff.

This is but one example of you not being in control, which means there are probably others.

You need someone to teach you how to raise a puppy and be in control.

There are some lousy trainers but trainers,of any kind, are only as good as your willingness to put in the work.

Instead of being angry follow up on the advice you have received.

Being angry at your pup or posters on here won't solve anything.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #68 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Very, very true!

And shame on those people that read what you say!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master Member

It is interesting to me when people feel there situation and/or dog is "unique" in that proven training techniques offered up just don't work for their dog. Invariably the problem is the trainer/owner not the animal. And insisting they have tried and it doesn't work is a cop-out. People need to take the time to figure how to make it work and remember that usually there is no quick fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #70 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

There are schutzhund clubs in Arizona and in your area and these folks understand working little gator dogs. Nothing you are describing sounds like a mentally impaired dog but an out of control teenager. At 5 months, Beau was horrid (though we got through the biting phase a bit better with early redirection and a lot of tug play-of course he was not left with toys laying around ever. I was the keeper of the toys)

When I needed to get some help training a dog I contacted a club because I knew their "trainer" was good and willing to work one on one with individuals. So I paid for private lessons with him before the rest showed up for training. (then loaded the dog up and watched them train).

That may be your most effective approach but you definitely need to be willing to wipe the slate clean, forget what you have tried, and do what they suggest.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.