I'm so ticked of right now!! - Page 18 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #171 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Alexis, I am sad to hear your frustration.

I am not seeing aggressive, I am seeing an energized young dog who is confused because she is looking to you for direction and all she hears is "No."

I think she has no idea what "no" means, and is desperately trying to get you to engage with her and give her something TO DO.

She has a ton of crazy energy bottled up and nowhere to get rid of it.

As I type I have Hans on his treadmill and my laptop in my lap.

Why? Because I woke up late, no one in my family bothered to exercise Hans, and when I took him out to poo he got the zoomies and started jumping up on me and trying to use his teeth! He got me a couple of times!
This, from a dog who knows that is not OK and who stopped as soon as I said "OFF!" and turned my back.

He did this because the excess energy makes him antsy. Also because he is 11 months old. He was overenergized and was inviting me to play. "Finally, someone to do something with me! Let's GO!"

After the treadmill, I am going to do some training with him. But he is just too wound up right now and he probably wouldn't be able to focus properly.

These are dogs were originally designed to run after sheep for hours. If we get one and bring it into our lives, we have to find a way to provide a drainage of all that energy, otherwise they will find unpleasant ways to expend it.

I think the best thing you can do is try to find a treadmill somewhere and have Bubbles on that thing at least 30 minutes a day, if not twice a day. I know you have medical issues and her exercise requirements are more than you are able to provide. But there has to be a way she can have them fulfilled or else this will continue.
You don't have to have a dog treadmill. I am thinking a cheap one off Craigslist will work. Anything to get her to be tired, so she can be relaxed in the house and tired enough to do a training session with you without being nuts on adolescent doggie high.

I wish I could help more.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 12-09-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #172 (permalink)
Master Member

Msvette, the mind games stuff definitely makes sense to me. Very much in line with what our trainer practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #173 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I don't think she is a monster she is just being aggresive with me. AND I WANT SOME ONE TO F...... LISTEN!!!!

Thank you Kaylee for your help I do appreciate it.

Nice! That ought to do it!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #174 (permalink)
Master Member

Attention training. Go to youtube and search for "the watch me game." Get a targeting stick and start using it. You need to find things for the dog to do to replace behaviors you don't like.

Just saying "no" over and over and nearly all the time is worthless. She has no idea what you want! I saw her looking to you over and over and getting frustrated because you aren't communicating what you want her to do, just correcting almost constantly.

Again, go to the APDT site and search for a trainer. You both need one. You will both be much happier when you are working with one.

BTW, we are listening. You have been given solid advice over and over. When will you start listening yourself? A big part of dog training is recognizing that the failings on the human end of the leash are most often the problem. You have to check your ego at the door.

Last edited by GrammaD; 12-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #175 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That dog isn't a bit aggressive. You tell her no for everything, have no bond with her, are not engaging, and aren't redirecting. I can't remember the last time I told my 5 mo old puppy "no".

If my dog was doing that with the leash, I'd be asking for sits. NOT correcting by saying "no no no". She sits, we start to move again. She bites? We stop, she calms down quietly, another sit and some tug for engagement. Then I'd show the toy and encourage her to run a few steps with me to get the mind off the leash and onto ME (or the toy. XD) then drop it/out and keep walking with the toy under my arm. Repeat as necessary.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #176 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The last thing I am going to say is I agree that nonononono means nothing, the puppy still looks normal but confused and frustrated (and I don't have a clue why redirection failed with this little gator dog-looks like the perfect candidate), and that nothing you do is going to work overnight..it requires time and consistency to see results.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #177 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Bubbles:

If you want help, then you need to listen.

This is the internet and on almost every thread there will be things I agree with and some I don't. This thread though, with a few exceptions, is remarkable in consistency of advice.

The cumulative number of years of experience with GSDs from many who have advised you is mind boggling and yet you do not hear it.

Your dog does not respect you. You are lacking in some form of leadership skills and since none of us are in your home to witness exactly what is going on, the only thing left is to tell you to get a good trainer or behaviorist.

My guess is that they will tell you something you don't want to hear because it will require effort, and change on your part.

Just loving our dogs is not enough they require time and work to get them where we want.

I really do hope you get the help you need but you will have to put in the time and effort.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #178 (permalink)

I understand what you guys are saying but it was very hard to redirect behavior with a cellphone in one hand a leash and a spray bottle in the other. It was a nightmare to get video. I always walk her at night before feeding.

maybe i should of posted the videos first . i think im getting better help now. but she does have aggresive behavior which needs to be addressed as well.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #179 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You don't need a spray bottle. You WILL MAKE aggression with that tactic.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #180 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Bubbles:

If you want help, then you need to listen.

This is the internet and on almost every thread there will be things I agree with and some I don't. This thread though, with a few exceptions, is remarkable in consistency of advice.

The cumulative number of years of experience with GSDs from many who have advised you is mind boggling and yet you do not hear it.

Your dog does not respect you. You are lacking in some form of leadership skills and since none of us are in your home to witness exactly what is going on, the only thing left is to tell you to get a good trainer or behaviorist.

My guess is that they will tell you something you don't want to hear because it will require effort, and change on your part.

Just loving our dogs is not enough they require time and work to get them where we want.

I really do hope you get the help you need but you will have to put in the time and effort.
Excellent post.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.