I'm so ticked of right now!! - Page 17 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #161 (permalink)

VID 20121205 180739 - YouTube
VID 20121203 180432 - YouTube
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #162 (permalink)
Banned

I see a playful yet very confused dog she is *not* aggressive. Her growling is her "talking" as a way of playing with you. She'd be a good one to get a BIG rope toy and play tug and wrestle.

If the only word or command your repertoire includes is "no", then you need to find a good trainer or give the dog to someone who can assist her in learning what she needs to learn.

If I was closer I'd come assist but unfortunately I am not.

Implement MIND GAMES, and see what happens
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #163 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Somewhere in the 161 posts I've become a little lost--have you taken her to training? I see basic training mistakes.

Do not repeat the word more than once.

Do not become emotional when saying no. In fact, I rarely use no, I prefer to give a command my dog knows to redirect.

Try practicing "SIT", not "sit down".

Have a toy on yourself so when she starts wanting to play with the leash, you can engage with the toy.

Her growling seems to me to be a little bit of a temper that she wants her own way, not that she's aggressive. You need to engage her mind, and find a way to get her physical exercise met. Can you safely hike her somewhere off-leash, or on a long line anyway if she won't stay with you?

I'd have her in at LEAST one obedience class a week from a good trainer, if not twice or three times.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #164 (permalink)
Master Member

You have a confused and over stimulated baby on your hands. Too many words, too much background noise and stimulus, and she has no idea what she is supposed to be doing.

Have you sought out a trainer using this resource?:
Dog Trainer Search
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #165 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh man. NOT aggressive. She's frustrated, hyper, confused and playful. Lots of training mistakes. You talk to her way too much. Please go find a schutzhund club, as suggested before. Don't strap a shock collar on this dog. That trainer is an idiot if they told you she's aggressive and needs one. FIND A CLUB. ASAP. or re home her, as your a bit over your head in training level for this dog.

Don't keep walking when she's biting the leash. Don't be afraid of her. Yes a bite hurts but it's not THAT bad. And you are way too timid with her. If you don't get this under control your going to have an 80 pound dog walking all over you. Follow ms vettes advice, to a T. Don't skip anything. And call clubs. Right now. Get off GSD forum and look up schutzhund clubs. And call/email all of them tell them it is very important you meet with them ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #166 (permalink)

I'm new to raising a gsd, so I certainly don't have as much experience as some of the other posters in this forum, but I'll toss my two cents in after watching the videos. My dog is 12 weeks, suuuper submissive and good tempered, but even he still bites and growls, tugging my shirt or pant legs. It's normal what I've noticed is that he mouths more gently usually, but if he needs to potty or gets overtired they get harder. Is she trying to indicate a need to you, needs to play, chew, eat, poo, nap, etc? How much obedience are you doing with her? I'd work on commands like drop, leave it and off so that she knows what your asking. Simply repeating no means nothing to her. I know you said you couldn't walk fast, but maybe get a long line and play fetch? That way your pup can get a bit more exercise? Just make sure you don't toss farther than the line, but my pup runs around like a crazy dog after his squeak toys while I stand still and toss. 10 or 15 minutes of hard play like that, he's ready to potty and nap and much better behaved. I know our pups seem very different and my suggestions may or may not work for you (or you may be doing this stuff already) but at first the growling my pup did freaked me out a bit, is he aggressive? But when I looked at the overall, he's not, it just took me a little longer to figure out the correlation between what his growls, howls, and whimpers all meant.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #167 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I see a dog that needs more training(drop it, leave it, and watch me), more redirection, and more praise when she does something right. No should not be repeated and repeated...instead of no, put the dog in a sit, redirect her by giving her a ball or toy, etc.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #168 (permalink)
Elite Member

On and sometimes you say no at the wrong times when she actually needed to be praised. Eliminate no from your vocabulary with her for now. Start over with basic obedience. Take treats with you on your walks. Lots of "look" yes! Treat. Etc. the only way she knows how to engage you is to act up.

You can also give her a toy to carry on her walks. She obv likes things in her mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #169 (permalink)

Oh, and the sit suggestion is great. I keep treats handy and when he does get out of control we start running through all the commands he knows (its only a fee at this point) but then I redirect after that to a gentler game and the short command session seems to do a reset on his energy level, like he forgets he was going crazy and starts being nice again. If that doesn't work, he's usually overtired, so he gets a Kong in his crate to chill himself.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #170 (permalink)

Its hard to see the vids because they are dark for me.

The first one it seemd he didnt want to walk forward on the leash. Heres what I am doing and may or may not help you. I take a hole hot dog and give my dog a small bite to get his attention. Then hold it at my left side and walk with the dog folowing right there biteing little chunks off as a walk straight and fast.

The second one looks like you were trying to tell the dog no teeth at the same time pushing your hand in his mouth. I wouldnt put my hand there if I didnt want him to bite it. Give him a toy or tug with him. Find some tasty food he likes and get him to follow you around. Maybe you can run him a little and burn off some energy.

I think he is confused! He didnt get the right corrections and was not offered a different out come. Just saying no is not going to work.
Manny6575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.