German Shepherds Forum banner

I'm so ticked of right now!!

19K views 190 replies 53 participants last post by  gaia_bear 
#1 ·
Bubbles biting problem hasn't stopped no matter any method I've used. Sometimes when I have to get something dangerous out of her mouth. I offer a treat if she drops it. if she doesn't drop it I got to get it out of her mouth. When I try to get it out she growls snaps barks bites pins her ears back at me. this is how she acts even when she is trying to bite my hands. I have so many scars. instead of calling it quits on bubbles . I've taken her to training and made sure she was healthy. I'm not mad at the dog.

The thing is I asked the vet at pet smart to see if she is having mental problems or having medical issues. I asked for blood work and to be evaluated mentally. Little to say they didn't do what I asked. They said to take her to training. ugh.. she is in training!. Then they said get an at home trainer. So I asked for a recommendation. they told me to look on the internet. I was very pissed by this. how could a vet not give me recommendations!!! I am willing to put the money and time into bubbles BC other then the biting she is very sweet especially with kids, and other animals. She only bites me . I'm sorry for complaining. I asked for help and good vet care for bubbles. Its not bubbles fault I'm trying so hard . I'm getting tired of trainers and vets not doing their jobs. :( I'm tired of not getting the help me and bubbles desperately need. I can't ignore the biting and aggression just BC she is a puppy. I want to nip it in the butt now so it doesn't develop into anything worse. Arizona sucks on German Shepherd behaviorist trainers. I don't know if its worth going out of state for a good trainer.

rant over I'm so frustrated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmmm. Maybe you can look up APDT (American Pet Dog Trainers). They should have a list of trainers with their proximity. I suggest them because they at least have to jump through a few hoops to be certified with the organization.

I think I wouldn't go to a store to get vet-care for my dog. I have heard some nasty things from these vets. If I asked a vet to check something out on my dog, and they flatly refused, then I would probably seek another vet.

However, puppy biting is pretty common, and your complaint is something that does sound more like a behavior problem then a physical problem, and if that is the case, then kudos to the vet for not taking the opportunity to run useless tests on your dog.

If you are not following NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) with this pup, you might want to look that up as well. It is about leadership. Your puppy thinks that he can keep possession of something that you want, and if you adjust your leadership style so that he understands that you have a right to whatever is in his mouth, then this won't be a problem. I think that if you follow this, especially those points that are hardest for you to do, I think it will get better. This doesn't have to be forever, and it can be.

Kudos to you for not waiting for the pup to be big and strong and scary enough that this is an emergency before addressing it. I hope some of the people who have landsharks will chime in.

#4 ·
If she only bites you, then you need a behaviourist to come into your home and evaluate you and how you interact with her. You are doing all the right things, yet there is still this issue between you and her. Doesn't sound like she needs an evaluation, more like you need an outsider's insight at the dynamics between you and Bubbles.

I'd phone around to different vets or phone the local shelter and see if they can offer some recommendations. I don't think there is anything wrong with Bubbles, chances are you probably got caught in a repetitive behaviour pattern that inadvertently re-inforced Bubbles behaviour towards you (like the biting problem). Once those dynamics have been identified and understood, you can start working on changing them.

#24 ·
If she only bites you, then you need a behaviourist to come into your home and evaluate you and how you interact with her. You are doing all the right things, yet there is still this issue between you and her. Doesn't sound like she needs an evaluation, more like you need an outsider's insight at the dynamics between you and Bubbles.
Well then this is the only advice that will work, it seems.

#6 · (Edited)
Bubbles, I went through the same stage with WD. I was at my wits end. I had always been succesful in training the pups, mine and clients'. Then I found myself with this beautiful, cute monster that was getting the better of me. I have always used the positive techniques but with WD, that was not enough. When I saw him coming at me, little wolf cub at 12 weeks old, I grabbed him by the side of his neck, made him look at me and told him, "NO!". I knew that by around 16 weeks, things would get better as he was in the hierarchy stage. I wrote that 16 week marker in my planner and to the day it happened; gentle, never did it again. But it was a 24/7 job with constant training, exercise, places to go, crate time,etc. My hubby reminded me regularly ("What would you advice your clients?") Even though I knew all this stuff, with my own dogs I often have to step back and look at the issues. So I kept going and if you could only see him now: 10 months old and the dog I had in mind when I first met him as this tiny wolfy cub. After more than 20 years of working as a (pet dog) trainer WD was quite the experience. He also taught me that one method doesn't work for every dog. And you know what? There comes a time when you miss that little monster....
So hang in there and work through this crazy stage the and let us know what happens in a few weeks.

#7 ·
My dog is the same age and def a land shark. Although getting better. And she never growls or shows signs of it being aggression. I would def look for a serious trainer. Ill see if I can find anything. What did you used to so when she bit? Has she been punished for it before? Does she have any negative associations with you grabbing her muzzle?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#10 ·
I had the same problem with Kaylee. I do not allow any biting and I did the usual everything stops the second her teeth touched human skin. I did all of the usual methods and nothing worked and I was frustrated as to why she kept it up. The dog knew this was unacceptable behavior yet she still did it. Time out, leave it, no, off, spray bottle in the face, holding her muzzle telling her no bite, redirecting her with chew toys. Also, ignoring the behavior which did not work and escalated to harder biting to get attention. Then not playing with her at all for a time which still did not work. Keeping her on a lead and making corrections also did not work. I did what our trainer told me to do and it did not work 100% the dog was still nipping and biting. The other GSD dogs we had were nothing like Kaylee. I talked with Lou Castle over the phone. Lou told me about this site,

Rank Civ

Now after using the rank drive I have a 7 month old who no longer bites me. She still nips every now and then as puppies will do but this is nothing compared to what she was doing before which was constant. So now we are still working on our foundation before moving on to any more training and the rank drive made a HUGE difference. Maybe it might work for you too? Check the link and give it a shot.

#11 ·
I used to have a biter .. I would roll his lips in between his teeth and whatever he was biting, then press his mouth shut until he winced.. for better or worse, it worked

#12 ·
Thanks a lot you guys. I love bubbles very much she is very sweet when she wants to be.

I've tried toys, spray bottles, puppy push ups and "alpha" methods. I grab her by the nose right now only when she is biting me or eating something she shouldn't . It is temporary until I find a trainer , vet or a method that works. I try not to hurt her I do it gently but she is so aggressive when I take stuff out of her mouth. She is aggressive even if I don't grab her nose . One time I picked her up to get her to drop something she bit my neck then my stomach.

#14 ·
I've contacted some of them. I researched them I called and some didn't bother to contact me at all. I settled on AZdogsports BC they have a great reputation in training. Bubbles started biting me during a training session the trainers came over yelled no at her and she turned and bit the trainer. They said the biting issue was an issue that I needed to deal with on my own. Even though that's the reason why I asked for training from them. .

I will contact some of the other trainers again but I'm a little more hesitant since the trainers and vets aren't addressing my issues. I'd really like a trainer and a vet to work together with me and bubbles. Sometimes I think bubbles has mood swings.

#60 ·
Bubbles started biting me during a training session the trainers came over yelled no at her and she turned and bit the trainer. They said the biting issue was an issue that I needed to deal with on my own.
I'd be ticked off too - what a useless trainer. :mad:

It sounds like you need to teach Bubbles what "Drop it" means, so you don't have to fight for whatever's in her mouth or attempt to trick her into trading it for a treat. The easiest way (I found anyway) is to play 2 ball with her, when she returns with the first ball, use a clicker when she drops the ball make sure to treat with something she likes just as much as the ball so she's interested in the treat too (I used the Rollover log stuff) then throw the second ball, etc, until she's consistently dropping on cue. It's waaaay easier to get something out of a puppy's mouth when you tell them to release it than it is to wrestle it out - as you're seeing, lol.

She's biting you because she's trying to get you to play with her. Anything you do (grabbing her, whatever) is going to be interpreted as playing so be careful! I can't advise how to stop the biting, because I personally believe it's better to teach a soft bite than no bite. I understand if people think that's weird, but it works for me and I like it.

#15 ·
Get with a club....see if one of the members will help you. Those that know the breed are better able to help than the pet obedience types that may feel intimidated for whatever reason.
Vets are too busy with the health side of animals to work on behavior/training, they can suggest who they endorse but I wouldn't expect a vet to help you with this. Your puppy isn't mentally unhealthy, just a normal puppy that needs to learn bite inhibition.

#16 · (Edited)
Slapping the nose, squirting, grabbing and pinching the lips, etc. will only make your dog worse and escalate behavior.

Contact some of the people others have suggested if you are still having issues.

Puppies bite to play. If your two-yr. old (human) toddler was playing with her baby dolls and dressing them up, would you slap them on the face?
No. That's how they play.

Dogs unfortunately only have each other (siblings) and their teeth. That's pretty much it other than their paws to bat each other with (boring compared to biting!)

In order for change to occur, 1) puppy should have stayed w/mom and/or at the very least, siblings for at least 8 weeks. If not they missed out on critical information (biting HURTS) so 2) we must replicate what their siblings would do.

I should video the Doxie puppies we have playing, for an understanding of how to do that.
Basically, YELP, and turn and walk away.
Once you do this, do not let puppy chase and catch/bite you more. You ideally have a gate or something along those lines, to separate yourself from puppy.

Don't put the puppy in a crate. They don't "get" the concept of "time out" but will "get" removing yourself from them if they bite too hard.
Replace yourself (your hand or pantleg) with a rope toy, or a stuffie. Puppies like to bite, and need to bite.

If you never let them bite you they'll never learn that biting hurts.

#17 ·
Did u see the links I posted? All are for german shepherd dogs and would have enough experience to help. I highly doubt she has a problem that the vet can help you with. You don't need meds, you need a good trainer that understands this breed. Maybe she's a bit on the dominant side? Maybe she's fearful or maybe she's just going through a bratty stage. Either way, it's something that needs to be seen in person by an experienced trainer. Hitting/ pinching/ closing the mouth is only going to escalate the problem.

#37 ·
msvette .

I just wonder how many times I need to tell you toys don't cut it with bubble. she doesn't just bite my hands. she bites my stomach, neck, nose anything she can get

what works for some doesn't always work for others.
bubbles - nothing works till one gives it a good try.

Wonder what makes you think that your puppy is unique?

All puppies will bite(some more and harder than other) - as folks here have told you - puppies use their mouth like people use their hands including playing. They just need to learn "bite inhibiion" where they learn how hard they can bite when playing.

my 5yo male GSD loves to play with us and he "mouths" all the time - some folks don't like it but I have no problem with i'm playing as we can tell that he is inhibiting his bite pressure remarkably, and likewie even his speed in biting (as I can tell from a couple times when he was in a real fight) - TOTALLY different from when he is playing with us or even with another dog.

#19 · (Edited)
One thing for sure your pup will grow out of this by four to five months of age maximum. In the mean time besides what was already said here train him so he learns your hand is something good..take his favorite treat and close it in your hand. Put your hand in front of his face and let him sniff at your hand. As soon as he starts licking your hand release the treat to him. Do this multiple times during the day. This won't cure his puppy biting over night but does teach him your hand is for something good when not bit.

#20 ·
Capone 22 I did contact executive k9 services. I got to wait until they call back Monday before I can talk with someone. I want her health checked just in case if she does have a problem health wise. If she is sick and I don't get it checked out trainings not going to help the underlying cause. I just want to be able to rule out medical issues first.

I'm already working with azdogsports. I'm not to happy. they are nice but its not addressing the issues I told them about.

#21 ·
Bubbles...
This is all of the advice i can give you:
Choose a method and stick with it.

From the picture she looks young... you should stick with a method for a month in the least.
I yelp loudly and leave the room for a minute or two.. But make sure theres no toys out or you take them with you so she gets super bored.

She needs consistency.

#25 ·
So what toys are you using with her, I know she's in full blown teething and you can't tug, but she obviously needs to get her oral fix out. Do you give her raw knucklebones or nylabones to chew? Frozen wet towels may be more soothing to her sore gums.
I would also have her 'search/hunt' for her meals...lay it in a track or toss it in your yard to give her something to do(that is mental exercise even if it doesn't appear so)

#28 ·
I brush her teeth and massage her gums with a toothbrush which she loves the most next to ice cubes. She has a nylon, rawhide, butcher bones. She has ropes, balls, pig ears, frisbees, a toy tire.

but I will try a cold rag/towel. I never thought of that.

#29 ·
I would find a new trainer if s/he came over and yelled at my dog for something. That doesn't accomplish much. How does she do with other commands? Sit, down, stay ect.

My grandfather has trained a lot of german shepherds and regarding bite inhibition with puppies he would say that grabbing at them or flick their nose just means lets go! play harder! How does she do with other dogs playing? A lot of bite inhibition is learned through that.

#31 ·
To the OP ... are you feeling that no one understands how much of a problem this is for you? If that's true, that is reason enough to find a behaviorist to work with you. You may need someone to see and experience exactly what you are.

I hope this gets better for you.

#33 ·
The timing of the redirection must be such so she's not being "rewarded" for biting.
The biting starts, you grab a toy, shove it in her mouth. That is not rewarding, that's redirecting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.