I'm so ticked of right now!! - Page 15 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #141 (permalink)
Banned

Of course, with some dogs, if you show them that you are physically superior when they are a little puppy (which generally is the case); then they will remember thios for their entire lives.

Some dogs, of course will not remember that you are superior phsyically or will actually "challenge" you for it as they mature (sort of similar to a young dog growing up and challenging the pack leader).

Those are the only dogs that you have to convince them that you are the alpha being regardless of physical ability.

BTW, there a few dogs that I can even at my age physically overpower! (But not the size/disposition of my GSD!!!!!!!!!)
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
How about a son (or daughter)? People also get mentally ill and we parents get older (and weaker!). At some point the kid can beat the "old man" - same with a dog.

Same wit a dog - i would hate to have to fight my own dog seriously (without a handy weapon of some type). Think I would bet on the dog!

BTW, don't assume that you can beat any good size dog - until you have seen a dog fighting for it's life we really don't know our animals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Don't forget that our dogs often go into "fear" mode and to them, every "fight", is a fight for it's life.
Even bathing. I've observed this so many times in rescue; dogs come here who've lived their entire lives outdoors and it's obvious have never been bathed.

You cannot, ever, physically overpower a dog, well, you might at some point be able to but you're going to get severely injured in the process.

My 11lb. Dachshund, muzzled for nail clipping due to his unnatural terror at having his nails done (was probably quicked in the past), can scrape the living daylights out of my husband's arm with his nails and the muzzle.
People think a muzzled dog can't hurt you!? OH they can hurt you alright! They still hit with their muzzles and try to bite!

The key is to earn your dog's trust and build that relationship so they never "go nuts" on you.
I don't sit around contemplating if we can overpower our dogs...I have no reason to fear them or they'd never be in my house!

MIND GAMES Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong is a beautiful, simple way of life that enforces that you are the leader and the dog is the follower.
It works for us
I think my comments are getting confused, when I talk about physically overpowering my dog in regards to a confrontation, I am talking about WORST POSSIBLE case scenario in which the relationship between us ends. If my dog bites me as a one off because of something specific (I accidentally hurt her), thats not something I would consider a problem, if my dog bites me for no reason, it would be something I would be cautious of in the future and monitor her behaviour towards me, but again, I could deal with it, if my dog continually shows constant, unending aggression towards me, that I can not soothe, or attacks me with intent to injury, then that is when our relationship ends.

I am 99.99999999% confident that it will never come down to this now that I know the disposition of my girl, but what I am saying is at the back of my mind, I know in the future, there maybe a situation that is worst case scenario in that I am faced with a situation where I have to physically FIGHT my dog and I know that fight will not end happily and I will get injured and maybe even seriously injured, but at least I know that I will win. That thought at the back of my mind is kind of like a precaution, its not a fear of my dog, more a state of readiness, and preparation of worst case scenario.

This is something that is my own personal choice and I don't like thinking what would happen in that situation, but it is one of the reasons I would never own a larger dog such as a bull mastiff or consider being a big cat handler (which is something that I would really love to do).

All I am saying is that I choose to have a dog in my home and I accept the responsibility that comes with it, and my personal opinion is that it is irresponsible for me to own any animal that would physically outmatch me.

With regards to a family member developing mental illnesses and becoming a threat to me or any other members of my family, yes they would be removed right away, either to a hospital where they could get appropriate medical care in a suitable environment. If they were not mentally ill, and were simply violent people, they would be either in jail, or at the very least out of my house.

Again this is WORST CASE SCENARIO, which has no bearing on my behaviour to my girl, but there are plenty of cases of dogs killing humans, to make me be very cautious when choosing a powerful pet.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #143 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I am 99.99999999% confident that it will never come down to this now that I know the disposition of my girl, but what I am saying is at the back of my mind, I know in the future, there maybe a situation that is worst case scenario in that I am faced with a situation where I have to physically FIGHT my dog and I know that fight will not end happily and I will get injured and maybe even seriously injured, but at least I know that I will win. That thought at the back of my mind is kind of like a precaution, its not a fear of my dog, more a state of readiness, and preparation of worst case scenario.
I am pushing 50 years old. I've had dogs all of my life. I've had as many as (8) eight dogs at a time. I've never, ever had to physically fight any dog I've ever owned. I've never even been aggressively challenged by one of my own dogs. This includes rescue dogs.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #144 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think the thing that is so frustrating is that the OP thinks she has some kind of mutant terroristic dog .......and it sounds like a perfectly normal GSD puppy. Hopefully its temperament will be strong enough to endure whatever she puts it through.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #145 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
That thought at the back of my mind is kind of like a precaution, its not a fear of my dog, more a state of readiness, and preparation of worst case scenario.
It's just never been a concern to me...I mean I've never even thought about it.
My dogs are 100% trustworthy, none of them go bonkers ever for any reason, so it's never crossed my mind.

That said, I have heard of situations where people are killed by other animals not their own, or even their own. Is that what has got you thinking about it?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #146 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I think the thing that is so frustrating is that the OP thinks she has some kind of mutant terroristic dog .......and it sounds like a perfectly normal GSD puppy. Hopefully its temperament will be strong enough to endure whatever she puts it through.
I so agree!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #147 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #148 (permalink)

I have found this thread helpful. I think I have been letting my pup run a bit wild, so after reading some of the ideas I have cracked down a bit. I have him back on a lead in the house, and I am making sure to spend much more time just working on his basic house manners. Thanks everybody!
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master Member

Marc, I kinda know where you're coming from.

Ever since I saw that bit in Tales from the Crypt where they lock the Major in a narrow maze of hallways, starve his dog (a Malinois) for days, and then turn his dog loose in the maze on him...I've always had the TINIEST bit of curiosity over whether or not I could take my dog in a fight. Not that I think it will ever happen, but thanks to a bunch of British horror movie makers, the thought is there.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #150 (permalink)
Banned

I was actually thinking of "I am Legend" where he has to kill his own dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.