I'm so ticked of right now!! - Page 13 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #121 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
*sigh* Is the sarcasm really necessary? There's helpful advice, there's constructive criticism....and then there's snarkiness. Let's all try to play nice and keep it to the first two, shall we?
Sorry (if you were referring to my above post). I hope no one took it seriously about the Dog behaviorist?

"medical problems can lead to handler aggression. that's why I wanted to look in to it. no offense but I want to make sure she is healthy. its my piece of mind."

Did you mean that the handlers' medical problem can lead to the dog attacking the handler? I am not sure that I am following this - what medical problem of a handler could cause a dog to attack the handler?

Note I am not asking about yours specifically, just a general inquiry since i have never heard of this type of problem causing a dog to "go up the leash" so to speak.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #122 (permalink)
Master Member

I think she's referring to the DOG having a possible medical issue that is causing it to bite!

Bubbles your posts are just full of excuses and justifications which probably sound great in your head but they just stop people who are really trying from helping you. You have an answer and excuse for everything. :'(

If you have a medical condition why did you get a large active breed of dog that needs a **** of a lot of exercise and training?
Are you able to ride a bike? perhaps you could take her for short "slow" bike rides instead?
Or really as horrible as this sounds consider getting a cat or a smaller or older dog?
It's not really fair on you or your dog if your medical issues make things difficult for you to train her
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #123 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, at least 120 years of GSD experience from multiple folks agreed with Kyleigh's post and I do think it was written very clearly taking into account the posts by the OP. I am sorry she did not take it that way.

Given the OP's physical limitations.... As much as I love the breed and have owned them for many years, my husband and I hit the realization that at some point we may not be able to deal with the physical aspects of raising a GSD puppy and will look at rescuing older adults. That may be what the OP needs to look at or cats or another breed. As the pup matures the dog park may not become a viable outlet for her energy as GSDs sometimes grow into dogs that are not really for dog parks. What are the options to ensure the pup gets adequate excercise but is not overstimulated?

FWIW, what the puppy is doing is in no way related to handler agression..but very normal puppy behavior that has not been nipped in the bud with a consistent and appropriate approach. And it takes TIME to see the light at the end of the tunnel with these pups.

The harness doesn't make any sense at all. Prongs or chokes do not make agressive dogs. Genetics and mishandling do. It is not the tools but the person using them. And the pup does not sound agressive.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-05-2012 at 06:04 AM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #124 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageizm View Post
Not too sure if this has been mentioned but bubbles might just be in over her head... you might want to consider finding her a new home and going with another more docile breed.
A first time dog owner buying a backyard bred GSD? Noooo..... I didn't see this coming from miles away.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageizm View Post
I agree with every part except this one. Human > Domesticated Pet

Top of the food chain!

If even for a second you believe that your inferior to your dog in any way... get a cat. If a war ever broke out between me and my dog... not that it ever would; as it's clear that I'm the boss in my house...but hypothetically speaking...I'd be burying my dog with my bare hands and getting my wounds treated afterwards.

Thankfully I'm on top of my baby boy's training so this won't ever be an issue for us....

Not too sure if this has been mentioned but bubbles might just be in over her head... you might want to consider finding her a new home and going with another more docile breed.

I love cats btw! Their awesome animals!
and the moderators think I'm being rude... lol.

trolls go back under your bridge.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #126 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Some folks have gotten frustrated ...... and have made some snarky statements (which given your statement that you loose your temper, you should understand) but nobody here is a troll. Lets not go there. Folks have sincerely tried to help.

It seems to me that enough has been said. ..............

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
and the moderators think I'm being rude... lol.

trolls go back under your bridge.
Actually ageizm is correct, I would never allow any animal in my house that I did not feel I could physically overpower, and I dont think anyone else should, but that is their choice. Im sure it would never come down to it, but I could not justify keeping an animal in my house that I was afraid of, not only would it be bad for me, but it would be bad for the animal, as it would feel like it was the pack leader and ultimately have no clue where its place in life was.

Im not an aggressive person, and I love my dog and look forward to spending many years with her, but if she ever turned on me, I would be ready, and unafraid to defend myself.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #128 (permalink)
Master Member

From what I can see you are so focused on correction and teaching your dog what NOT to do that I don't believe you have offered instruction in what you want the dog TO do. This is a typical problem, the mouthing, and a typical response from a novice owner who hasn't gotten help from a good trainer. I see this all the time with jumping up on people too. The typical novice owner wants to correct away from the problem while not teaching appropriate greeting behavior.

Result?

The dog has NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!

You have to teach the dog an appropriate replacement behavior. Mouthing, jumping up... these are instinctive behaviors which will not extinguish just from correction because the dog has a need which is fulfilled by them. Or if you do correct away (typically using harsh methods) the need will be redirected into even more inappropriate behavior. So you have to teach an alternative behavior which also fulfills that need/instinct. Something positive for the dog to do instead. When you meet with a trainer you want to be sure they address this.

Ways to train and tire a dog when you have limited mobility- I mentioned this earlier but you ignored it.

Target Stick Basics

Clik Stik Retractable Target Stick with Clicker - Dog Training Supply

Amazon.com: Susan Garrett's Crate Games for Self-Control and Motivation: Susan Garrett: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Susan Garrett's Crate Games for Self-Control and Motivation: Susan Garrett: Movies & TV
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #129 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Actually ageizm is correct, I would never allow any animal in my house that I did not feel I could physically overpower, and I dont think anyone else should, but that is their choice. Im sure it would never come down to it, but I could not justify keeping an animal in my house that I was afraid of, not only would it be bad for me, but it would be bad for the animal, as it would feel like it was the pack leader and ultimately have no clue where its place in life was.

Im not an aggressive person, and I love my dog and look forward to spending many years with her, but if she ever turned on me, I would be ready, and unafraid to defend myself.
If you have a sound dog, raised properly, it should never come to a physical confrontation where your health and safety are at risk. My dogs are twice as strong as me, so if they set their minds to it I'm not sure I could physically overpower them, but fortunately, they're not going to "turn on me" so I have no need to defend myself from them. There are plenty of ways to asset leadership without needing to physically overpower a dog.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #130 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is a good article concerning "dominant" dogs. And Bubbles is not sounding like that at all The target audience is the typical macho man police officer -- you know the ones who show off their scars from dog bites. The one who has an intact male patrol dog bred for police service.

Note how the very strong macho police trainer recommends not turning it into a power struggle but doing things like controlling resources.

I have been told (by 3 police master trainers) my pup is a strong dog and I have seen some signs that, improperly managed, he would be capable of going up the lead. For every hour of scentwork training we spend I probably put in two hours on obedience because he needs it. I control a lot of things with his life. He must down before eating. Down and stay in his crate when I open the door etc etc etc. All trained motivationally. FINALLY mastering loose leash casual walking on a flat collar using tried and true "be a tree" methods at 17 months old [we passed an offlead formal obedience routine at 15 months but everyday life is in some respects harder] - 17 months old, not 5 months. At 5 months he was a total hellion. I also provide plenty of excercise. Structured. I control.

This link is a PDF you would have to download. Good article if you think you have a "dominant" dog or an agressive dog. Mainly because I think it is good all the way around.........

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...UXIxaBOSzxueIw

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-05-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.