I'm so ticked of right now!! - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #111 (permalink)
Elite Member

Maybe you could PM her ... i don't know if she's even reading this thread anymore!
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #112 (permalink)

In my opinion a e collar should not be used on a 5 month old puppy. At least I would not use one at that age. The e collar is a great training tool and no it is not a tool of last resort either. Any tool can become abusive when used incorrectly and for those who have no experience raising a dog should see a trainer who can work with you. If you are thinking about using an e collar here is a link to Lou Castle's site about using it, How To...

I think everyone has put in a lot of information for Bubbles to look at.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #113 (permalink)
Elite Member

Great post Kyleigh.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #114 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[quote=julie87;2646539] This is the fastest and the most consistant way to teach a dog if you don't have the patience and a lot of time to train them, or don't have money for professional trainer.
If you don't have the patience, time, or money for training, then you probably shouldn't have a dog.

Dogs learn almost instantly with shock collars on. You can't always train them other ways...If your dog runs in the backyard barking waking the neighborhs how are you going to "train" her to stop? will you be running around after her telling her to be quiet?
This is where time and patience is needed. You can train your dog not to bark at the neighbors without using a shock collar. Walking your dog on a leash and redirecting them is a good start

Treats and redirecting don't always work unless maybe if you did it as full time job. Like I said earlier I use shock collar as last resort it is not a primary training method
I have two dogs that were trained this way and I'm now working with the third. Its not a full time job, it is consistency. I would not train any other way. I'm not looking for a fast training method, I'm looking for a reliable one. One that I can bond with my dogs with and be proud of what I accomplished.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #115 (permalink)

ditto the great post Kyleigh

I think it bears RE-Reading, and then read it again.

As for e collars , they have their place but not on a 5 month old puppy in my opinion. Putting an e collar on a 5month old puppy for me, would be the lazy way out

Consistency, Patience and building a relationship with your puppy , all else falls into place.

Did I mention to read Kyleigh's post again

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #116 (permalink)

kayleigh.

1. I can't walk fast. I have medical issues. I'm telling this several times now.

2. the collar is last resort. if all training fails. the collar had a vibration mode so i can get her attention if she is far away or if she's biting. I don't have to use the shock thing . it also makes beeping noises. I would never use it in an abusive way that's just wrong

3. medical problems can lead to handler aggression. that's why I wanted to look in to it. no offense but I want to make sure she is healthy. its my piece of mind.

4. No problem is the same. no dog is the same. no master is the same. it might not sound unique but the variables are not always the same. I'm not blaming the dog. no matter how much you think this. Everyone thinks I'm to soft with her . I'm really reluctant to grab her by the scruff or hit her in anyway. I grab her by the nose BC I don't think it hurts as much.

5. I do read what you guys say but when I read stuff that is totally twisted or out of context of the situation no I don't bother accepting that advice. The people who nicely consider what I say and give advice relevant to the situation yes I do listen.

I did get a personal behaviorist/trainer for the last time. I'm not repeating myself again.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #117 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
kayleigh.

1. I can't walk fast. I have medical issues. I'm telling this several times now.

2. the collar is last resort. if all training fails. the collar had a vibration mode so i can get her attention if she is far away or if she's biting. I don't have to use the shock thing . it also makes beeping noises. I would never use it in an abusive way that's just wrong

3. medical problems can lead to handler aggression. that's why I wanted to look in to it. no offense but I want to make sure she is healthy. its my piece of mind.

4. No problem is the same. no dog is the same. no master is the same. it might not sound unique but the variables are not always the same. I'm not blaming the dog. no matter how much you think this. Everyone thinks I'm to soft with her . I'm really reluctant to grab her by the scruff or hit her in anyway. I grab her by the nose BC I don't think it hurts as much.

5. I do read what you guys say but when I read stuff that is totally twisted or out of context of the situation no I don't bother accepting that advice. The people who nicely consider what I say and give advice relevant to the situation yes I do listen.

I did get a personal behaviorist/trainer for the last time. I'm not repeating myself again.
No, no, get a DOG behaviorist!

Other than that it sounds like you really have the situation under great control and you know just what you are doig!

I may have to try your method of grabbing the dog by the nose when my guy does something wrong! Never thought of that solution.

When you do that - a couple of questions on your method.
Do you check to make sure his mouth is closed first? Teeth!!!
How long do you hold on to your grab?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #118 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

*sigh* Is the sarcasm really necessary? There's helpful advice, there's constructive criticism....and then there's snarkiness. Let's all try to play nice and keep it to the first two, shall we?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #119 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Everyone thinks I'm to soft with her . I'm really reluctant to grab her by the scruff or hit her in anyway. I grab her by the nose BC I don't think it hurts as much.
Who is "everyone"? Because grabbing the muzzle has created the problems you're dealing with now. That is not a "soft" method of "training", that is a problem in and of itself. If anything you've been too harsh already and that's why there's issues.

I don't know what else to say - other than "if it's not working, do something different".

Read through this - Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong and try to implement them.
There's no walking involved.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
It's human nature ... just that simple reaction causes your dog's energy to escalate ... and then there's a war ... who's gonna win? Won't be you!
I agree with every part except this one. Human > Domesticated Pet

Top of the food chain!

If even for a second you believe that your inferior to your dog in any way... get a cat. If a war ever broke out between me and my dog... not that it ever would; as it's clear that I'm the boss in my house...but hypothetically speaking...I'd be burying my dog with my bare hands and getting my wounds treated afterwards.

Thankfully I'm on top of my baby boy's training so this won't ever be an issue for us....

Not too sure if this has been mentioned but bubbles might just be in over her head... you might want to consider finding her a new home and going with another more docile breed.

I love cats btw! Their awesome animals!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.