Resource guarding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Resource guarding?

Hey guys, I have a 6 month old shepherd and a 2 year old min pin(quite the combo).my shepherd is getting into that stage of not wanting to share toys. Anytime the toys are out, he grabs them all, and when my 7lb min pin comes near to play, the shepherd snarls and barks. Any suggestions on how to get him to share? He is fine with me and my wife touching and taking away his toys.
Mvennetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

That is quite a combo!

I like this article from Pat Miller: How to React When Your Dog Begins Resource Guarding Against Other Dogs - Whole Dog Journal Article

And it is an annoying thing that is made worse (or serious) by the size difference. I have different sized dogs but not less than 30# and no bigger than 66# but still, when it is big and small, I often choose to do the management thing. It seems like young dogs do get that grabby, terrible 2's mine thing! I am sure more people will come along but I really like that article.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great article!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvennetti View Post
Hey guys, I have a 6 month old shepherd and a 2 year old min pin(quite the combo).my shepherd is getting into that stage of not wanting to share toys. Anytime the toys are out, he grabs them all, and when my 7lb min pin comes near to play, the shepherd snarls and barks. Any suggestions on how to get him to share? He is fine with me and my wife touching and taking away his toys.
I have two dogs that want all the toys. My golden was used to everything being his, then along came the GSD When she was smaller he let her take the toys a little easier, now he lays on them a lot. The golden has growled a couple times, but as soon as I say something he stops and puts his head down like he's ashamed. The golden can take the toys away from the GSD with no problem, if she wants them back she does a couple different things...either she comes to me and tells on him..this usually consists of her nosing me, looking his way, and talking to me. If that doesn't work, she cries over him, then paws his head or tries pawing the toy. This usually doesn't work, so she grabs him by his tail and gets him in play mode, which usually gets him away from the toy. Once he gets in full play mode, she leaves him, grabs the toy and goes in the other room and he is still trying to figure out what she did. It comes down to the temperament of the dogs and the management of the one who is more of the problem. I would correct the one that is doing the growling, its much easier then trying to train one not to grab the toys.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Do you think stepping in and takin the toys away for a few minutes when he growls is a good thing?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have 2 dogs and 2 of everything - same toys, beds, etc.

Growling at each other over a toy (or anything else) is not permitted in my house.

You either play nice or it gets taken away altogether.

MY house, MY rules...works for us.

Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvennetti View Post
Do you think stepping in and takin the toys away for a few minutes when he growls is a good thing?
Yes. He has to learn that if he growls its not good. I would also tell him no, but not just no, I would say no growling. Wait a few minutes then give the toy back, take it away again if he growls. He will learn that if he growls he loses the toy. Do the dogs play together with any toys, like tug or anything??
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

take the toys from the GSD and give them to the other dog, when the GSD tries to take them, correct him with "AHH AHH" and if necessary keep taking the toys away, when he offers behaviour that is acceptible, treat and praise, eventually allowing them both to play with the toys.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Yes. He has to learn that if he growls its not good. I would also tell him no, but not just no, I would say no growling. Wait a few minutes then give the toy back, take it away again if he growls. He will learn that if he growls he loses the toy. Do the dogs play together with any toys, like tug or anything??

Yes, they do have some toys that they play with together. It just seems to be the deer antler and the nylabone that he growls about. It's quite funy watching a 7 lb min pin drag around a 65 lb 6 month shepherd. They are very gentle with each other 99% of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.