German Shepherds Forum banner

Submissive peeing or excited peeing?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Niko831 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I have had this problem for a while now (I blame it on the nurse at the vet!!!!:mad:) I took Maya to the vet when she got her second vaccination, and unfortunately, it was taking a while. I was about to take Maya outside because she had not been to the toilet for a while, and then suddenly the nurse comes over to say hello. The Nurse gets down and starts giving Maya lots of love and attention and the next thing, Maya pee's all over the floor! I was shocked, mainly because the Nurse carried on giving Maya attention and said "All dogs Pee when they see me", yes because you praise them for it, I thought.

Anyway, ever since this incodent, everytime Maya meets someone new, she offers up a little pee, she also does it, if she has not seen my wife for a while (anytime she has not seen me for a while, I take her straight outside to go to the toilet), or we have visitors. as soon as she does it, I take her straight outside to go to the toilet, interrupting any attention she is getting, however its difficult on walks when a stranger wants to say hello, and she does it.

first of all, I would like to know if this is submissive peeing, or excited peeing, I read that lots of dogs tend to grow out of it, however i would still like to help her out with this. and secondly, how to stop it either way? do I use the same methods for both or does each require a different method?

She is a very submissive puppy and when she greets me, she will come to me with ears down, tail wagging and all excited, and then roll onto her belly for a belly rub (I am also going to try getting her out of this habbit of rolling over). But even in this excited submissive state, she never pee's when she sees me, its only other people. but then like I say, any time I am not with her for a period of time (I am with her most of the day as I work from home, and the only time she is away from me is at bed times and if I need to go out), I take her straight to the toilet before giving any attention.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think it matters which it is because you'd treat it the same, and either way she should eventually grow out of it.

Dena wasn't particularly submissive, but she LOVED people and would get so excited to meet them......and pee all over their shoes! :rofl: I'd take her out on a little walk around the neighborhood when she was a puppy and if she so much as heard voices she'd look around for the source and then try to drag me over to them.

The peeing went on for awhile, she was over 6 months old but under a year when it finally stopped, I don't recall exactly when it was. We just made sure she was outside if anyone came over, and we'd bring them out to meet her and empty her out, so to speak, before bringing her inside.

She never outgrew that love of people, just the peeing. I always thought that if *I* got that excited meeting people I'd probably pee too, lol!

#3 ·
Ignore it.
Can We Help You Keep Your Pet? Submissive Urination

Encourage others to ignore it as well.

Take the dog out frequently (especially when people are coming over). Don't get all excited when you come, or your wife comes home, try to keep things low key.
(there's great info at the link above)

I always thought that if *I* got that excited meeting people I'd probably pee too, lol!
You may still yet, don't give up hope :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.