Puppy overly excited with wife and daughter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy overly excited with wife and daughter

Hello,
My Boscoe is 6 months old. He just got back from training 2 weeks ago. He was taught all the basics and responds great off, even off leash, but only with me. My wife and 15 year daughter do not get the same results from him. He literally acts as if he on crack when they attempt to handle him. He pulls the lead, bites (nips) their feet. Tries to jump up on them. We all use a heeling stick because that is what the trainer used. All I have to do is put the stick in my hand an he falls right in line, them not so much. I have tired to work with them on their tone, posture, getting them to stop moving their feet when he is nipping, etc. nothing is working for them. Funny thing is I have a 2 year old and a 11 month old and since he has come back from training, he is completely docile with them, occasionally mouthing but that stops immediately with just a quick glance from me. Please help.. I fear that if they can't control him, in the same manner that I can, the we will have to give him away. This may sound silly, but is it something with him and women?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Boscoe78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What is a heeling stick?

This is one of the reasons I really don't like send-away training. The whole point of training is so that the family and the dog learn to work together. I assume this training includes some sort of follow-up? Why not ask the trainer to come to your house and work with your wife and daughter?

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

I personally always monitor my pup around my kids (2,7) and correct her when she's doing something that she's not supposed to be doing. It took some times by she's a lot better at listening to them. I also have them train her. So my 2 almost 3 year old would grab some treats and tell her to do things and she would listen! My pup was very bad in the beginning jumping, bitting, tackling my 2 year old in the beginning and now it's almost completely gone. My suggestion is to keep working on corrections and praising while you are present w/wife, kids, and dog so he can continue to learn. He will get there

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Meeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

The trainer we used was a really good retriever trainer. Highly recommend. A heeling stick is used in training to keep hunting dogs right at your side. When they inch forward or back you tap their chest or hip. I just don't understand why he listens to me and leaves my small kids alone but acts crazy with the wife wife and daughter. My small kids don't train him tey can barely talk lol. It can't be a size thing because they are obviously smaller then him.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just to clarify he did not get retriever training. Retriever training is what this guy specialized in. However retriever training has incorporate the basics first at a high level of control.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.