German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Puppy overly excited with wife and daughter (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/195112-puppy-overly-excited-wife-daughter.html)

Boscoe78 11-26-2012 12:28 AM

Puppy overly excited with wife and daughter

Hello,
My Boscoe is 6 months old. He just got back from training 2 weeks ago. He was taught all the basics and responds great off, even off leash, but only with me. My wife and 15 year daughter do not get the same results from him. He literally acts as if he on crack when they attempt to handle him. He pulls the lead, bites (nips) their feet. Tries to jump up on them. We all use a heeling stick because that is what the trainer used. All I have to do is put the stick in my hand an he falls right in line, them not so much. I have tired to work with them on their tone, posture, getting them to stop moving their feet when he is nipping, etc. nothing is working for them. Funny thing is I have a 2 year old and a 11 month old and since he has come back from training, he is completely docile with them, occasionally mouthing but that stops immediately with just a quick glance from me. Please help.. I fear that if they can't control him, in the same manner that I can, the we will have to give him away. This may sound silly, but is it something with him and women?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

BowWowMeow 11-26-2012 01:45 AM

What is a heeling stick?

This is one of the reasons I really don't like send-away training. The whole point of training is so that the family and the dog learn to work together. I assume this training includes some sort of follow-up? Why not ask the trainer to come to your house and work with your wife and daughter?

Meeka 11-26-2012 03:05 AM

I personally always monitor my pup around my kids (2,7) and correct her when she's doing something that she's not supposed to be doing. It took some times by she's a lot better at listening to them. I also have them train her. So my 2 almost 3 year old would grab some treats and tell her to do things and she would listen! My pup was very bad in the beginning jumping, bitting, tackling my 2 year old in the beginning and now it's almost completely gone. My suggestion is to keep working on corrections and praising while you are present w/wife, kids, and dog so he can continue to learn. He will get there :)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Boscoe78 11-26-2012 06:55 AM

The trainer we used was a really good retriever trainer. Highly recommend. A heeling stick is used in training to keep hunting dogs right at your side. When they inch forward or back you tap their chest or hip. I just don't understand why he listens to me and leaves my small kids alone but acts crazy with the wife wife and daughter. My small kids don't train him tey can barely talk lol. It can't be a size thing because they are obviously smaller then him.

Boscoe78 11-26-2012 07:08 AM

Just to clarify he did not get retriever training. Retriever training is what this guy specialized in. However retriever training has incorporate the basics first at a high level of control.