Fights? Do we get more upset then the pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fights? Do we get more upset then the pup?

I have a fairly well balanced, well socialized 15 month old female. I have had her around other dogs all her life. She does great until a dog pushs her too hard and I didnt see it, then the dog does it again and a fight can start if the other dog doesnt get her signal to back off. This happened today and I wonder if it effects my 15 month old pup, and how she will react in the next dog on dog meeting, with other dogs, not the one she had a small fight with. Am I being overly worried when I think this may change her future behavior towards all dogs? Or by now is she pretty set in her ways and dog skills? She loves 99.9% of all dogs. I am worried that each time there is a fight she may be losing her balance and the training I have given her. Last thing I want is a bitchy female.
wildrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Control the situations and don't let things get out of hand.

If you're always taking her to uncontrolled settings like dog parks, it could definitely turn her into a very defensive dog who fights quickly.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

how often is your dog involved in fights? set up a play date
with a dog or 2 that she has no problems with.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think that as our GSDs mature, they'll decide if they want to be social to other dogs or if they'll want to keep them at a distance. It sounds like she doesn't really like other dogs being in her space, even though she's friendly to most of them right now.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Control the situations and don't let things get out of hand.

If you're always taking her to uncontrolled settings like dog parks, it could definitely turn her into a very defensive dog who fights quickly.
I agree. If I have my dog(s) with other dogs and they are loose, I have to KNOW they all behave around each other OR I need to pay attention.

If a scuffle breaks out it is MY FAULT and if I wasn't watching I have no idea who/what started it or how bad it was so my young dogs can get messed up and become less reliable around other dogs. I kill myself to socialize and get my dogs to behave around others and to ruin it in a few instances when I failed to pay attention is just not being responsible.

My dogs have to be polite around all dogs, but don't need to like all dogs. And that's a big difference. So if another dogs is a pain and is being inappropriate around my dog, I shouldn't have let my dog be in the situation that they have to deal with it. I prefer to be watching and either be able to step in BEFORE an issue starts or remove my dog entirely from the situation.

The best dog scuffle is NO dog scuffle and paying attention makes all the difference to help our dogs.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for replys. I just never know for sure in public which dog is a social dog and which one is not. I know dog play and behavior pretty well and watch over my pup. However being human I screw up now and again. I wont put her with that dog again. This is only the 3rd time in the 15 months of life she has done this. I saw my pup give the other dog two signals and at that I should have stepped in. This is a great journey in learning canine socialization and my leadership role.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

if shes a stable dog shes not going to turn dog aggressive at this age. Shes still young tho she has yet to mature. A lot of bad experiences can turn her into a real bitch though. GSDs are what they are though shes not going to have the personality of a typical lab or golden. Even the more submissive gsd females i have met have that edge to them.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-25-2012 at 06:45 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think she is going to be fine too. yesturday I ran into two 4 dog packs loose while hiking and she did fine. She also ran into one 13 month old hound and all went excellent. I just need to learn to keep her away from dogs whos owners never took the time to socialize their dogs/pups and or strange dogs. Thanks again for replys they helped calm me down after her fight.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I definitely think that we react more emotionally than the dogs do and can hang onto the anxiety longer. If she's a stable girl then you should be fine but do keep in mind that as she matures she may very well become a slightly "bitchy" female. Not that this is a bad thing I just have yet to meet a mature female GSD that as pets4life said, doesn't have an edge to them. They're GSD's and they're females...

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.