Concerns about a "velcro dog" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Concerns about a "velcro dog"

Jackson turned 6 months this week, and we've had him for right around 3 months now. I think it is safe to say that he is a complete and total velcro dog. Unless he is tired, there is literally never a moment that he doesn't have me or my gf in his line of sight. Using the restroom/showering/cooking/napping alone are all distant memories. I am NOT complaining, having such a loving dog who loves nothing more than being near us was mainly all I was hoping for when we brought him home. What I am worried about is how much this is going to affect him when we begin more serious obedience (potentially SchZ) training. Are there any SchZ/IPO owners/handlers who would classify their dog as a "velcro dog"? Is this is going to be an issue later on when the training starts getting more in depth or am I worrying over nothing? If this is something that needs to be worked on I'd like to start working on it with him right away.
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Do you use a crate, where he has to be separated from you occasionally? During the day when you're at work, etc.?

The dog needs to be able to settle with his own devices, for his own mental health.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Being a velcro dog is not a problem. Both of my SchH dogs are velcro dogs and are perfectly able to work. Having a dog not want to be with you is a much bigger problem.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeGSD View Post
Jackson turned 6 months this week, and we've had him for right around 3 months now. I think it is safe to say that he is a complete and total velcro dog. Unless he is tired, there is literally never a moment that he doesn't have me or my gf in his line of sight. Using the restroom/showering/cooking/napping alone are all distant memories. I am NOT complaining, having such a loving dog who loves nothing more than being near us was mainly all I was hoping for when we brought him home. What I am worried about is how much this is going to affect him when we begin more serious obedience (potentially SchZ) training. Are there any SchZ/IPO owners/handlers who would classify their dog as a "velcro dog"? Is this is going to be an issue later on when the training starts getting more in depth or am I worrying over nothing? If this is something that needs to be worked on I'd like to start working on it with him right away.
Mine likes to be near all of us, but she is 100% my dog. She is the ultimate velcro dog She did well in obedience, she qualified for schZ, and she is now in agility. I am her handler and if I'm present and my son tries to handle her it don't work, she wants me. Now if I'm not there she works well with my son. Last week I was there, but hiding and she must have sensed/smelled me, because she figured it out. When she did, she started crying and pulling my son towards where I was. The trainer told me that I might as well show myself because the dog wasn't going to settle down. They all were quite impressed with her abilities to be able to detect me. One of her first trainers used us as an example with off leash walking...her exact words.."There is no way that you will lose Robyn", she is by my side all the time. Your dog will be fine, but it might be best to pick one of you guys to work the dog.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have to agree with Elaine and Llombardo. It is not something you should worry about. I have 2 that are like this and are fine.

IMO, this is a bond that some owners never achieve with their dogs.
With that bond comes trust and unconditional loyalty.

That's one thing I love about this breed. With that bond, although it may seem annoying at times, your dog will do anything to please you.

I find them easier to train and work as well...JMO.

Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 11-20-2012 at 08:10 AM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I hear you with the Velcro dog! Sounds pretty common with GSD’s J

Now that we are seriously getting into training with Jake, this seems to be working in our favor that he’s clingy. I’m certainly no expert, but I think it makes for a better bond with your dog.
lzver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Great feedback, I appreciate hearing from ya'll.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Do you use a crate, where he has to be separated from you occasionally? During the day when you're at work, etc.?

The dog needs to be able to settle with his own devices, for his own mental health.
He grew out of the crate we had over at GF's mom's house, so we brought our larger one over there for the time being. Since he's never alone when he's at our apt, and sleeps on the bed we haven't been in too much of a hurry to find another one. We found the large crate on Craigslist for $10 so we're kind of browsing and waiting for another good deal to come along for now.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I'd agree it's not a worry...unless the dog develops anxiety when you're not there.
If this happens you're going to want to be doubly sure he can be safely crated.
If it was my dog, I'd crate when periodically to make sure everything's good when he's crated.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a super velcro dog, but he settles fine left alone for 8+ hours a day... no anxiety, sleep and plays with his toys, chews bones, etc. He will do anything for me, though - I personally believe that makes an impact in obedience and protection. He would rather work with me than anything else on planet earth.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.