German Shepherds Forum banner

Concerns about a "velcro dog"

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  blackshep 
#1 ·
Jackson turned 6 months this week, and we've had him for right around 3 months now. I think it is safe to say that he is a complete and total velcro dog. Unless he is tired, there is literally never a moment that he doesn't have me or my gf in his line of sight. Using the restroom/showering/cooking/napping alone are all distant memories. I am NOT complaining, having such a loving dog who loves nothing more than being near us was mainly all I was hoping for when we brought him home. What I am worried about is how much this is going to affect him when we begin more serious obedience (potentially SchZ) training. Are there any SchZ/IPO owners/handlers who would classify their dog as a "velcro dog"? Is this is going to be an issue later on when the training starts getting more in depth or am I worrying over nothing? If this is something that needs to be worked on I'd like to start working on it with him right away.

#2 ·
Do you use a crate, where he has to be separated from you occasionally? During the day when you're at work, etc.?

The dog needs to be able to settle with his own devices, for his own mental health.

#8 ·
He grew out of the crate we had over at GF's mom's house, so we brought our larger one over there for the time being. Since he's never alone when he's at our apt, and sleeps on the bed we haven't been in too much of a hurry to find another one. We found the large crate on Craigslist for $10 so we're kind of browsing and waiting for another good deal to come along for now.

#4 ·
Mine likes to be near all of us, but she is 100% my dog. She is the ultimate velcro dog:) She did well in obedience, she qualified for schZ, and she is now in agility. I am her handler and if I'm present and my son tries to handle her it don't work, she wants me. Now if I'm not there she works well with my son. Last week I was there, but hiding and she must have sensed/smelled me, because she figured it out. When she did, she started crying and pulling my son towards where I was. The trainer told me that I might as well show myself because the dog wasn't going to settle down. They all were quite impressed with her abilities to be able to detect me. One of her first trainers used us as an example with off leash walking...her exact words.."There is no way that you will lose Robyn", she is by my side all the time. Your dog will be fine, but it might be best to pick one of you guys to work the dog.

#5 · (Edited)
I have to agree with Elaine and Llombardo. It is not something you should worry about. I have 2 that are like this and are fine.

IMO, this is a bond that some owners never achieve with their dogs.
With that bond comes trust and unconditional loyalty.

That's one thing I love about this breed. With that bond, although it may seem annoying at times, your dog will do anything to please you.

I find them easier to train and work as well...JMO.

:) Kat

#9 ·
I'd agree it's not a worry...unless the dog develops anxiety when you're not there.
If this happens you're going to want to be doubly sure he can be safely crated.
If it was my dog, I'd crate when periodically to make sure everything's good when he's crated.

#10 ·
I have a super velcro dog, but he settles fine left alone for 8+ hours a day... no anxiety, sleep and plays with his toys, chews bones, etc. He will do anything for me, though - I personally believe that makes an impact in obedience and protection. He would rather work with me than anything else on planet earth.

#11 · (Edited)
I'd say my guy is a velcro dog as well, but he's perfectly fine being left in his crate overnight. He didn't like it much at first though, but I make sure to give him a couple of treats while he's in there and leaving his toys in there as well.

As for Shutzhund, i was kinda wondering the same thing, so thanks for asking. I'm thinking of getting my guy involved soon as well. On a related note, do you know how much it costs to join a club/have lessons for SchH?

#12 ·
Each Schutzhund club is different...check out a few within your area. Some can be informal and more like 'get togethers'...especially for pups starting out and just doing OB.
Those are not too expensive while others have TDs ( Training directors), helpers and more advanced people coming in to help.
Some clubs have a yearly fee while others have session/lesson fees. Some have both.

OB ( Obedience) is key anyway. IMO, every dog should do that, whether its through a club or an AKC class, etc.

As for the sport of SchH, it depends on the age of your dog, what your dog's needs are, is capable of, how far you want to go, etc.
All of those things are going to determine your cost factor(s).

:) Kat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.