German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Couple issues, I NEED your advice! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/194573-couple-issues-i-need-your-advice.html)

Adele 11-17-2012 08:16 PM

Couple issues, I NEED your advice!

I can't seem to figure this out, WHY?

1. I keep my 4 month old Adele in her crate maximum 4 hours
a day, when I'm comming to let her out, she stands on her back legs
and howls barks whines, as if its the end of the world for her. So when I
open the crate she Bolts out as if KING KONG is about to skin her alive,
why so anxious?!

2. when I'm getting her food, same thing.... Barking Barking Howling and Barking.
(possibly the whole neighbourhood is now aware that Adele will be fed)

3. I'm using the same command OFF when she jumps at me when I approch her
but its just not sinking in, I refuse to put her walk leash on if she jumps, so it turns into
a hop. Couple hours later same thing Jump.

?

Elaine 11-17-2012 08:21 PM

Yup, pretty normal behavior. I would wait it out for the crate and the food. Wait for just a second of quiet before letting her out or feeding her and build up from there.

reck0n3r 11-18-2012 11:21 PM

Maybe you're possessed and require an exorcist?

Hopefully she'll grow out of it. How long have you had her and has she been doing this since then?

WhiteSpirit 11-18-2012 11:30 PM

She knows you give her these things when she acts like this. Like Elaine said. Wait for a second of quite.

TrentL 11-19-2012 08:03 AM

For Draven who was like that (My 4month)I sat by the door and wouldn't open it until he settled down and laid down looking at me like "COME ON MAN!!"

Then I would open the door VERY slowly and if he started to bolt he'd get a "AH AH" and the door closed.

If he managed to get out of the crate he got the "Ah Ah" and I put him back in the crate.

We did this OVER and OVER and OVER and now I can open the door and he's laying down looking at me waiting.

Once I got to that point I started to walk away from the crate 1' away and then wait for him to bolt and give him the "Ah-ah" and place back in as required.

Now I can open the door and walk away and he won't leave until I ask him to come. (Mind you I haven't tested this past the 1-2minute mark)

Kyleigh 11-19-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrentL (Post 2633648)
For Draven who was like that (My 4month)I sat by the door and wouldn't open it until he settled down and laid down looking at me like "COME ON MAN!!"

Then I would open the door VERY slowly and if he started to bolt he'd get a "AH AH" and the door closed.

If he managed to get out of the crate he got the "Ah Ah" and I put him back in the crate.

We did this OVER and OVER and OVER and now I can open the door and he's laying down looking at me waiting.

Once I got to that point I started to walk away from the crate 1' away and then wait for him to bolt and give him the "Ah-ah" and place back in as required.

Now I can open the door and walk away and he won't leave until I ask him to come. (Mind you I haven't tested this past the 1-2minute mark)

THIS ... patience patience and more patience ... you have to wait out the dog!

Sunflowers 11-19-2012 08:08 AM

How are you approaching the crate?

Rerun 11-19-2012 09:11 AM

You can't release her when she's acting like that or it will only get worse as time goes on.

Wait for silence and a calm(ish) puppy. When you go to open the door, she will probably suddenly try to barge out, but you're going to be prepared for that (right? :) ) and you're going to shut the door immediately back in her face, repeat as needed. It will take awhile inititally, you've set a pattern of behavior into motion that is going to be a pain to change, but it can and it will.

All of my dogs know how to wait in their crate, with the door open, until they are released and they are not allowed to come flying out like dingbats.