German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   What in the world? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/194346-what-world.html)

lennoxbradley88 11-14-2012 12:35 AM

What in the world?

So today Schatzi and I got into it. Yup, I lost my patience with this 8 month old brat. The morning started with her not wanting to eat her food. Okay, I let it slide. I get home from work and I get my 3 1/2 month Alaskan Malamute and we start training. This guy is awesome. Anyways, I put him in the kitchen and bring in Schatzi. We started just doing basic sit, down, stay...etc. However, it's like she forgot about everything. She sat, but didn't want to down nor stay. This are things she knows by heart. So whatever I changed it and went to touch pads she did okay, but not like she normally does. Then went back to the basics and the same. I was already getting frustrated at her. So I decided to bring both Cudi and Schatzi out to the back yard and let them mingle. Schatzi was being too rough with him so I separated both. I told my dad to walk Cudi up and down while Schatzi is sitting down and every time they would pass in front she would break her stay. She was being such a brat I snapped at her. I got mad, yelled, and cussed her out. :( Then to top it all off she starts running in circles and taunting me. Every time I got close to grabbing the leash she would run full speed in circles lol. That drove me crazy. Has anyone gone through something like this? I\'ve never encountered this behavior with this girl. -_-

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

** Post edited by ADMIN. Swearing, even with **** is not allowed on this board. Find other ways to express yourself. Thank you. **

jae 11-14-2012 01:05 AM

yes, my dog will always play games when i lose my patience, running and jumping and running some more. then again, i don\'t know if he realizes those limits - when other dogs knock at him for getting too intense, he just goes right back into it, sprints around with this stupid happy face and i am assuming he is thinking "yeah right, bark, hit me, bark bark at me! catch me now! ha ha ha ha!!!!!!"

or something like that.

What helped me is to ramp up the shorter sessions, tone down the longer ones. Nowadays it\'s like 3 really short sessions, less than 5 minutes each, and just random stuff in between all the time. It holds his attention much nicer, and he gets just as much out of it. and no matter where it ends, make sure you end on the best note - string together 3 great commands - sit, down, sit? awesome, end. heel for 60 paces? awesome, end. recall on first call, AND a sit stay? awesome, end.

Sunflowers 11-14-2012 06:15 AM

When my dig tries to act up I look at what I am doing and try to adjust the signals I am sending.

DWP 11-14-2012 07:33 AM

You said it all

Eight months old? You said it all right there. We are over two years away from that time with our youngest GSD female. We tend to forget all those frustrations over time. I can remember Kana and training "leave it". She would leave it, only to snatch it away at the last minute and take off running. She would then drop whatever we were using about 25 yards away, come running up to me, siting and waiting on me to go get it. As I got about 10 yards away, she would bolt and grab it before I could get there. Sounds funny now, but at the time it was NOT!

Nikitta 11-14-2012 07:39 AM

I hear your frustration. Xerxes knows the down and stay commands but sometimes it\'s just like, Na I don\'t want to. You need to walk away from it and maybe try shorter sessions like it was suggested. I know it is easier said then done. You just want to scream at them when you know they know it. Dogs can be brats just like kids and for german shepherd because they are so smary somtimes are worse. I always called their "badword" additude.

blackshep 11-14-2012 08:22 AM

8 months is that time they start to really test you. I think sometimes when they get like this, to maybe give the really structured obedience a break and just do some fun games with a few commands mixed in.

Really, you\'ve got a teenage girl on your hands. :D

harleyboysmom 11-14-2012 08:23 AM

Welcome to the "brat club". I am going through the same thing with Sam, the Knuckle head. He tries my patience, but I just walk away, count to ten, until he settles down, or until he does it again. At this point, I can\'t wait till he grows up!

Kyleigh 11-14-2012 08:33 AM

LMAO ... welcome to a teenage GSD.

Trust me, with patience, time, consistency, patience, patience and lots more patience you\'ll get through it.

There were times with Kyleigh between 9-11 months of age I would have GLADLY handed her over to someone else to raise - then give her back to me when she was a year!!!!

When he gets like that, stop training. You\'re only frustrating yourself, he feeds off that and it\'s a cycle of frenzied energy.

I\'m not saying don\'t train ... just don\'t train at the moment. Burn that energy off in a fun way - play tug, run around the backyard with him, anything BUT training. Then try again.

He hasn\'t forgotten any of his commands, he\'s just testing to see if you REALLY mean it.

This behaviour is EXACTLY why so many dogs end up at shelters at 8-9 months of age!

Hang in there - it does get better!!! All of us with older GSDs can attest to it!

JeanKBBMMMAAN 11-14-2012 08:44 AM

Next time this happens, finish with something strong - like the touch pads - and put her up. What good does it do to do what you did? I have finally learned this.

It could be calming signals too - slowing things down. Like sunflowers said, look at yourself.

Sunflowers 11-14-2012 09:07 AM

Sometimes I just resort to sit and watch me, anything so we can end on a good note and my terms. I figure if I lose it, then he perceives that he won, and that would undermine my authority and make him challenge me even more.