Puppy choosing: Dominant vs Vocal? HELP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Puppy choosing: Dominant vs Vocal? HELP

Hello Everyone!

So I'm soon to be new GSD owner, but I've been dog owner throughout the years! I did extensive research on different breeders, lineage background, health guarantees, etc., and ultimately decided on a particular breeder with working lines.

The pups come from high working drive lineage, so from the beginning I understood they will have high drives. Based on my preferences, I can ultimately choose from 2 females since both are very similar in their temperament.

Both are very driven and confident, so here is my dilemma (esp. since I have an 8 year old child):

Female 1: dominant over other pups (females/males), rougher with toys
Female 2: VERY vocal

So is the supposed "dominance" in F1 can really be read as one at 7 wks old? Is it just a way she plays in the dog pack? Can she become overly dominant once she's older or even possibly turn into dominant aggressive dog?

In case of F2 - Do you think that if she's so vocal at such a young age, she could be fear aggressive? Or could that and her going back/forth in the kennel be just her way of asking for play time?

Any help is much appreciated! It would be great to hear from owners who's dog expressed similar behaviors as pups and how their personality/behavior developed over time.

Thanks for all you help!
mdm282 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

oh no you have to go with these choices? lol someone with more experience will come but id say vocal. Number 2.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-11-2012 at 09:24 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It depends on what you want to do with this dog.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

What is the breeder's take on the two pups? Personally, all other thing being equal, I'd go with F2. I have enough bossy girls around here .
Seriously, it's kind of hard to say without seeing the pups. What are your plans for the pup? Do you have an experienced outsider that could go with you to evaluate pups? If you're planning on competing in some way, then I'd get the advice of your trainer if at all possible.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

vocal bitches with strong nerve can sometimes turn out great for personal protection
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
wait you mean ob and protection training as in personal protection?

or sport schutzhund?

I just really hope you picked the right breeder and have the proper trainer. You are in for one **** of a ride.
Thank you for your concern! Yes, she would go through basic (obedience) training and would like her to be trained in personal protection.

I would also never attempt to train the dog (esp. in protection) myself, but only by professional trainer.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
What is the breeder's take on the two pups? Personally, all other thing being equal, I'd go with F2. I have enough bossy girls around here .
Seriously, it's kind of hard to say without seeing the pups. What are your plans for the pup? Do you have an experienced outsider that could go with you to evaluate pups? If you're planning on competing in some way, then I'd get the advice of your trainer if at all possible.
BOCRON: Do you train for Cooper Creek? I was actually going to call CC tomorrow with that question, since it's "close" by and been considering them for training!

The breeder said both are confident, driven, playful...

I want to have a dog that is great with my 8 y.o. child (safety is my priority), but at the same time easy to train. She'll be put through obedience and protection training for sure and will take it from there (competing might be in the future, but not sure as of yet).

Unfortunately, I can't possibly take anyone experienced with me, because the breeder is out of town. I will be able to spend some time with the pups, so I would appreciate any input as to what to look for...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

bocron seems like they have a lot of experience hopefully they can help you out. I hope you make the right choice though. I think her club would be a great choice for you.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My pup Onyx was described as your F1.
In Onyx's case, she turned out to be anxious and because of her dominant behavior tried to rule the world, which increased her anxious tendency. She would act aggressive out of fear and I had to really step up my handling to show her "I had the world under control" so she could relax.
She has a lower threshold than I'd like as well...I would almost assume the vocal F2 has that same low threshold? Personally, I'd rather have a thinker....a pup that watches, then decides to act, or vocalize than just do it because they can and are comforted by that activity.
I did get a higher threshold pup~ my male who I bought because the female couldn't handle any sort of protection training and was too reactive to go on to other sports or even do competitive obedience. A personal protection dog should have a clear balanced head, or it will possibly be a liability.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-11-2012 at 09:59 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

onyx i have a thinker also

but can onyx do personal protection? Can you male? Just curious Like jacket, hidden sleeves bite suit etc.. I don't mind sport dogs as long as they can easily do pp and willing to go after the man when he drops the jacket and gets out of his pants lol

reactive = sharp? i always considered them the same kinda, my dog is not reactive or sharp which is nice cause i can let my guard down in public.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-11-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.