Puppy rolling with the big dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy rolling with the big dogs

Hi everyone.
A question/ advice for multiple dog owners.
I was wondering at what point did you leave your puppy out with your other dogs.
I'm taking 2 1/2 weeks off work to not only bond with the new baby but to mainly oversee the integration of him with my other 2. By the end of this time I want to have him outside with them while we're at work.
Coming home at lunch is not an option for us and I feel it would be cruel to keep a puppy cooped up for 10 hrs a day. I plan for the first week to always be there and then slowly increase there time alone together.
Would love to hear your experiences advice and tips about this.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't leave pups alone with adults. Pups get crated or kenneled separately. I would not leave your puppy alone with adults without supervision. I would also not leave a puppy alone in the yard without proper containment.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I don't leave pups alone with adults. Pups get crated or kenneled separately. I would not leave your puppy alone with adults without supervision. I would also not leave a puppy alone in the yard without proper containment.
So at what age do you leave them alone with the other dogs?

The back yard is fenced all the way around and has big bricks and pavers dug into the fence line to prevent escapes.

Do you recommend one of those puppy yards to keep him in outside till I have them together?

Thanks,
Candace
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Actually, I seldom leave my dogs alone together. I have intact animals and foster dogs coming in/out. I tend to always crate/kennel if I am away for long periods. But if it works in your pack, that's fine. But wait until the puppy matures and you can trust the pack to get along when you leave. There is no defined time frame for this to happen. Different for each dog and each home. Just be aware that as you continue to add dogs, the risk of a fight goes up each time. That's just the way it is. Nothing might ever happen or something bad could happen one day for no reason. What is the age/sex of each dog? Are they intact or spayed/neutered?

Yes, get a small section cornered off for the puppy. It needs to be properly contained. Puppies always think of new ways to get into trouble so contain with care.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

We have 2 other dogs who are out back whilst at work. 1 White female GSD 3 /12 yrs and 1 male Siberian husky 10 yrs. Inside 2 cats and an African grey.

They get along fine now we have worked out a few "issues" I just personally hate to see dogs crated all day, even though they just laze around snoozing most of the day when were not home. Except for when they go and say hi to the emu's or kangaroos' that wander near our fence line!

I think one of those puppy yard fences may be a good idea if needed, that way he'll be in the yard but still be with the dogs. I can put the beach umbrella up for shade. Though I'm hoping I will have one big happy family by the time I have to go back to work.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It is a nice thing to wish, but be aware of the practical nature of the situation as well. Crate and monitor until they are 100% reliable. It will be too late for "what if" after the fact...
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dog was out of her crate and with the two bigger dogs while I was at work when she was 6-7 months. Before this I watched the way the acted with each other and decided that it was safe...they do sleep most of the day away
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a six month old GSD puppy and I NEVER leave her with my adult dogs (five others). She is in a 4 x 4 indoor kennel during the day while I work. Some of my five other dogs are in the house in the kitchen and others are kennelled in my attached garage that is heated and air conditioned.

It only takes a moment for an adult dog to put a puppy down. Even if they did not do physical damage, having adult dogs put a puppy down repeatedly can have a vast impact upon the temperament of the puppy. I would never risk it.

Like others have said, I also have fosters coming in from time to time and integrating them in to the pack happens frequently. Keeping all of them separated when I can not supervise is key to healthy interactions amongst the dogs and preventing fights.

If you have a 10 year old dog currently, I can pretty much guarantee that the last thing that the senior dog wants is an obnoxious mouthy puppy chewing on him and jumping on him all day. Mine certainly don't and this is yet another reason to keep them separated. When all six of my dogs are together, I am right there to watch and intervene, if necessary.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think Lakota was about 6 months old before I let her stay with the other 2 dogs. You didn't say how old your puppy is. I also run my dogs in the morning before work so they more likely to sleep a good part of the day.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh dear! I'm a bit of a nervous bundle about this now!!
Have never had any problems introducing dogs before but you certainly all have me thinking now about all the what ifs!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.