A third wind - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A third wind

At almost 15 weeks old my pup is developing a new third wind at night. She gets walked a mile in the morning, plays outside for 15 minutes and then naps. All by 10am. Around 5:30-6pm we walk her again a mile or more and then she comes home and relaxes until about 7:45pm when she gets that crazy look in her eye, starts to sprint through the house, and won't leave anything alone, cats, us, and sometimes she gets her toys. She walks around panting like she just did a 5k and acts rambunctious. I can't take her on a 3rd walk. I don't have that kind of time. Any suggestions? I played some tug of war but then she starts to just want to bite my hands. I asked her to go to her crate and she goes to settle down. I'd prefer not to do that but it is what it is. Has anyone else's dog started this pattern around the same age?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
tsfarling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your lucky it only goes into a third wind If you don't have time for more physical exercise, do small sessions of obedience and even find it. A good balance of both physical and mental exercise will make a happy and hopefully calmer dog.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's more the time of night than the time to put in. I can't take her on another walk at 8pm. It's pitch black out now and we've had several shootings lately so...yeah.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Have you tried using a flirt pole? It takes a notch out of them pretty quick. I use this or some two ball fetch when I get home from work to burn off some energy.

Never mind, I just read your last post.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I horse around indoors all the time with my puppy, where his favorite games are fetch and catch. You should be able to tire her out with some simple fun games like that, with softer toys that won't wreck the house, lol. We even have a fleece frisbee just for that.

ETA: Thanks Nigel for reminding me! He also has tons of fun playing with his Buster Cube, a kibble dispensing toy.

Last edited by Blanketback; 11-09-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do you use Kongs with treats inside? This keeps them busy for while. Also you can try hide and seek. I used the Kongs with treats in them and hid them around the house.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I bet she actually needs to go to the bathroom at about the time she starts to ramp it up.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use the kong with the treat inside. She's very quick with it though. Peanut butter in the kong keeps her busier longer. I took her out tonight to run around the yard and fetch her stick. She liked that but was still antsy. She's eating fine, drinking water, and the only thing I can think is she stored up some energy the past two nights because she didn't get her evening walks until tonight. Two more weeks until we get her final vaccines and she goes to obedience training and then I want her to do agility. That should kick her butt.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Be lucky that your pup has 'winds', LOL! Mine never has downtime unless crated. It's not a bad thing to crate... as long as you've given physical exercise before that. Is there a way to do the second walk a little later? Or a less than a mile 3rd walk?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

The best I can do for her is to go play some fetch in the backyard to get her crazies out. I can't wait until she's old enough so the 5 pm walk will turn into my daily run with her. I run 3miles so hopefully she's up for it. Does a dog need to build up stamina for that or do you think she'll be able to just go for it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.