German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   How do I stop the biting?!?! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/194082-how-do-i-stop-biting.html)

Midnight 11-09-2012 07:41 PM

How do I stop the biting?!?!

I've tried saying OUCH really loud. I've TRIED to get him to listen to "Leave it" "No Bite"... etc... My arms look like I've been trying to play with pirhanas... Just now my son was out here sitting on the couch with me and Midnight jumped up at my face and cut my cheek. I know he wasn't being malicious, but it REALLY hurt!!! He is 11 weeks today....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

KatsMuse 11-09-2012 07:57 PM

O dear...you have a little land shark! :wild:
Here's a sticky thread...maybe something in there will help.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nhibition.html

:) Kat

wolfy dog 11-09-2012 08:10 PM

Before you sit down for anything "Sharky" needs to have been exercised (physically and mentally), fed and crated.
Just went through this with WD but I remember how shocking it is to find yourself with a set of teeth on 4 feet. Work through it; it will pass. By the time he is 6 months old, it will be a funny memory and your arms will look whole again.
It is good that he looks cute (is my guess).

Bubbles 11-09-2012 08:35 PM

I use a spray bottle . Bubbles bite hurts to much for me so I spray her with water. People get mad for spraying puppies but it works. It doesn't make a dog afraid of water it just shocks them like a yelp .Sometimes yelling/yelping only encourages play biting. Stuffing a toy in a puppies mouth only works if your puppy will stay focused on a toy.

robk 11-09-2012 08:35 PM

Those baby teeth sure do hurt! I can sympathize! We all go through it. Its almost a right of passage as a GSD owner!

m1953 11-09-2012 08:43 PM

Like mentioned there is a lot of good info in this forum on redirecting your pup to reduce the biting. It does for sure end. By five old, my arms were finally healed. They looked like they went through a meat grinder.

Mandy L. 11-10-2012 10:27 PM

Yelping works better then ouch for me. Also I was teaching him off. Right now works about 45% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

breyer08 11-11-2012 09:07 AM

Definitely read through that Puppy Biting thread. There is a LOT of great info there. For me, the only things that worked to get her biting under control were Bitter Apple spray (which we only actually had to use a couple of times, and after that just seeing the spray bottle was enough for her to back off) and LOTS of exercise. She needed long walks twice a day and lots of training and playtime. If you wear your puppy out with good physical and mentally-stimulating activities, he will be much less likely to bite, because that kind of puppy biting happens usually when they have excess energy. :)

Midnight 11-11-2012 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Right after meals he is the most "bitey." As for walking off energy...he's not very adventurous. I've worked him up to about a block from the house, but he pulls like a bull when I let him turn around. I haven't started obedience classes because the vet said to wait until all his puppy shots are done (he's getting his third set of shots this Thursday). I do work with him at home on sit and stay but haven't started heel. Since this is the first dog for me as an adult, I don't want to mess up, so I'm waiting for training class.

After the bite to my face and my pained reaction with a timeout for Midnight, he's been listening a LITTLE. Better. He still bites and I still have to say no, but he does seem to be making some effort to be more gentle. It's hard to be hard on him about it because he's so darn cute!!! Attachment 22406

Peacefully asleep at the moment. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Linda1270 11-11-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight (Post 2625716)
I've tried saying OUCH really loud. I've TRIED to get him to listen to "Leave it" "No Bite"... etc... My arms look like I've been trying to play with pirhanas... Just now my son was out here sitting on the couch with me and Midnight jumped up at my face and cut my cheek. I know he wasn't being malicious, but it REALLY hurt!!! He is 11 weeks today....

OMG, this could be Tess your talking about, Tess is 11 weeks old and she is biting me and my husband all the time. She also bit me in the face! I was playing ball with her and when the ball went under the television stand, I bent down to pick it up and she jumped up and bit me in the face, it really hurt too. Her teeth are so sharp, it's agony every time she bites me. We are now working on "The Bite Stops Here", with a little progress for a day or two and then it's back to biting again. It's two steps forward and then one step back but we plan on continuing along this line to try to stop her biting. I yell ouch and I leave the room very quickly because if I don't, she bites the back of my heels which is extremely painful. I spend a few minutes in my bedroom with the door closed (practically in tears) and when I come out, she has calmed down a little, not a lot, but I'll take whatever I can get.

She doesn't like to walk very far on a leash either, just like Midnight, and just as you described him tugging all the way back home; Tess does exactly the same thing. I practically have to run to keep up with her and I worry that she's going to collapse in her rush to get there. As soon as she gets to the yard, she calms down a bit. Today, I actually had her out walking around the block, which pleased me immensely because she fell asleep as soon as we got in the door. It was most likely due to her running all the way home.

With Tess, the mornings and the early evenings are the worse, she is so full of energy and she bites constantly. She starts beginner training on Wednesday evening, I can't wait. She was supposed to start last week but there was a Nor'easter, so it was cancelled. I don't have much advice for you but wanted to share my experience due to it being so similar to yours. It's actually a little comforting to know that it's not just Tess and there are other puppies out there doing exactly the same thing. Gives me a little more hope that it will pass, eventually.

Good luck!