How do I stop the biting?!?! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

At 11 weeks, Ava didn't go for very long walks, either, so instead we played a lot in the back yard (that's when I taught her how to fetch, which uses quite a bit of her energy!). Training tricks and commands is also a great routine to get into each day, and the dog will look forward to it if you make it fun!
breyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
At 11 weeks, Ava didn't go for very long walks, either, so instead we played a lot in the back yard (that's when I taught her how to fetch, which uses quite a bit of her energy!). Training tricks and commands is also a great routine to get into each day, and the dog will look forward to it if you make it fun!
We did the same with Kaylee. I figured out she is a ball nut and taught her all of her OB commands and games using balls. Since she is a mouthy girl aka little land shark I figured out mouthy games for her which made a difference. I got a bunch of soccer balls to chase, herd, bite, etc. We actually put together different toys for different areas. We had special toys for outside games only, indoor toys, and last special crate toys. The best one is a Kong treat stuffer that kept her busy too! We also got her tons of chew toys to help re-direct the biting bully sticks are good for that. I would freeze peanut butter bones for her to work on along with ice chunks to help with the teething.

Now at 7 months every now and then she nips but when told no bite or off we can easily re-direct her to something she can bite. We still have a toy rotation going on to keep her busy when inside the house.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't want to hijack Midnight's post but just wanted to say that I have tried yard games with Tess to no avail, when I have her in the yard, all she likes to do is eat dirt and mulch, so I'm constantly watching her or pulling things out of her mouth. I will keep trying, I just purchased her a small frisbee type of chuck-it toy in hopes that she will want to chase that. She is not ball motivated at all, my last dog loved balls and would play fetch with me all day long.

Wonder if Midnight is ball motivated....it is a great game for high energy dogs.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1270 View Post
I don't want to hijack Midnight's post but just wanted to say that I have tried yard games with Tess to no avail, when I have her in the yard, all she likes to do is eat dirt and mulch, so I'm constantly watching her or pulling things out of her mouth. I will keep trying, I just purchased her a small frisbee type of chuck-it toy in hopes that she will want to chase that. She is not ball motivated at all, my last dog loved balls and would play fetch with me all day long.

Wonder if Midnight is ball motivated....it is a great game for high energy dogs.
Ha! Tess, I so feel you with the dirt eating and constantly pulling things out of his mouth. We can only play with one toy for about 5 minutes before he's bored.

Our other problem is tha my ex-husband's Mi Ki, hates Midnight. It doesn't help that Midnight has been twice as big as Mickey since I brought Midnight home. They played for the first 2 hours well, after that and since then, Mickey snarls and snaps at Midnight even if he's just walking by him.How do I stop the biting?!?!-imageuploadedbypg-free1352669612.641905.jpg

The picture shows where Mickey spends most of his time at my house.
How do I stop the biting?!?!-imageuploadedbypg-free1352669667.258054.jpgHow do I stop the biting?!?!-imageuploadedbypg-free1352669682.001240.jpg
The last shows Midnight harassing Mickey. I'm not sure they'll ever get along.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Awe, Mickey is adorable, that's too bad that Mickey doesn't like Midnight right now but maybe that will change once he gets older. It just amazes me how similar Tess and Midnight are in their behaviors right now

Hopefully, they will both calm down a little, once they start training. It's so hard to get mad at them when they are so darn cute, isn't it?
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Good Luck! You should see my hands. Some people even thought I was trying to hurt myself lol. Anyways, I have to say TOYS TOYS AND MORE TOYS! I learned my lesson with Schatzi and now I am going through the same with my 3 month Alaskan Malamute, but I am way more prepared. I play, train, play, train, and more play. We run around and I carry toys and treats every time we are together. As soon as he starts trying to bite my arm, pants, or shoes I say Don't Bite and bring out a toy and play around after I reward him with a little treat.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Mine calmed down A LOT at 13 weeks and he's been improving every single week.

I almost thought that my fingers would be missing by the time he would ever get it, and there were even times that I thought that that I made a mistake and that he was just too much dog for me.

Now it's completely manageable where a tssst will stop him in his track, and I have not sent him to time out for a 2 weeks now. It's nice having hands that are not always cut.

He's still an ankle biter, but I can't blame him for his herding instincts.
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

This how my hands looked like about a month ago every single day.
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah it was right around the 12-13 week for us too the nipping slowed down emensely (He still nips at my wife though, and sometimes we need to address that... depends on how rough it is, his bite inhibition is very good now if he's not too excited)
TrentL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.