Any helpful tips? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any helpful tips?

I'm not sure if I should find a new forum for this or not because it isn't really about my Keira. My sister in law just got a Husky puppy, she is now nine weeks old and cute. We have been puppy-sitting her and she has food aggression and toy possession. For example..

If Keira is in the same room while the husky is eating she will growl and if keira gets within three feet of her she attacks Keira. If Keira has a toy she will take it from Keira and growl and sometimes attacks. I'm only asking for any and all advice because Keira is 15 weeks (about) and quite a lot bigger. She usually doesn't do anything back, she just has the hairs on her back raised, even when the pup was biting her. I always grab them before it escalates but today my husband was getting Keira to sit lay and rollover for a treat and once he gave her the treat the pup ran over and attacked Keira, and Keira attacked back for the first time. She nipped the pups ear and made her bleed. Keira at ten weeks was quite a bit bigger than this pup, and I know Keira will be very big, I just don't want it to get worse... Again Keira only bit once, and I don't want her to think that that is how dogs interact...

Any advice on how to deal with the pup? Anything I can pass on to my sister in law? Thank you.
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Was the Husky puppy taken away early from her mother and siblings? She may have missed out on the learning she would have gotten from being with them. For one I would keep them seperated when feeding, 9 wks sounds so young to be showing signs of aggression. Maybe someone else will come along and have a better answer for you.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't believe she was. She is AKC registered, from a breeder. That's all I know. I also believe that Keira may have bitten back because she actually got hurt. She has a cut on her face... I tried to look up information about food aggression and toy possession. I read that its rare for puppies, but she is quite aggressive... Not at all towards people, just towards other dogs. I suppose I'm worried that it may rub off on Keira, and that the pup may get hurt... Thank you, for the reply.
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.