Aggressive Biting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aggressive Biting

I am a new GSD puppy owner and I have notcied a daily routine of aggressive play with my pup Bailey. She only does it about once or twice a day and since I am new to the dog world I am not sure how to "correctly" repremand her and show her it is not ok. She attacks my hands during play and I almost feel that she gets too excited or when I yelp it makes her charge me more.

Please give me some advise as to what and what not to do!

Thanks!
SassySammi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

spray water in the puppies face with a spray bottle.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Spray water in the puppy's face? REALLY? Sorry Bubbles, but I don't think that's very helpful.

First off ... how old is your puppy? This is a normal thing for puppies to go through ... they are learning bite inhibition - how hard is too hard ... when soft is acceptable, etc.

To teach her to stop ... when she bites your hand you can say OUCH in a firm voice and then give her a toy that is appropriate for her to chew on / play with and encourage her to play with it (wave it at her, drag it along the floor, etc.)

There are many threads in here under puppies, and biting that you can read to get a better idea on how to handle this very normal behaviour.

Why don't I agree with the spray bottle? She might simply turn around and start biting at the bottle - which is in your hand ... so you could end up getting bit even harder ... and secondly, what do you do with the dog that LOVES to be sprayed in the face?

My last dog LOVED being sprayed in the face ... whenever I misted my parrots (for their baths) she would come running to me and stand there with her mouth open just waiting for the spray!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Puppy BITING!!! Teaching Bite Inhibition

Check out that link for good ideas about it.

BTW - welcome to the land of German Shepherd Sharks lol

This is very normal behavior. Redirect her with toys, saying ouch loudly and when the behavior just won't stop, you are frustrated - a very short time out.

It does get better, once she learns how to play with humans instead of her litter mates
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the advice ! I will take a look at the link and search around.

She will be 10 weeks tomorrow. I absolutely LOVE her.
SassySammi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Puppy BITING!!! Teaching Bite Inhibition

Check out that link for good ideas about it.

BTW - welcome to the land of German Shepherd Sharks lol

This is very normal behavior. Redirect her with toys, saying ouch loudly and when the behavior just won't stop, you are frustrated - a very short time out.

It does get better, once she learns how to play with humans instead of her litter mates

Please don't spray a puppy in the face with a water-bottle.
We declined an adoption two days ago due to people wanting to do this with their newly adopted baby puppy (a few other issues, too, but still).
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post

Please don't spray a puppy in the face with a water-bottle.
We declined an adoption two days ago due to people wanting to do this with their newly adopted baby puppy (a few other issues, too, but still).
lol water doesn't hurt dogs. That is no reason to turn someone away from adopting a dog. I've been told by many people to smack the dog in the nose with two fingers , grab the nose, toys, ice and other dumb ideas. Only one time did I smack her and it didn't do nothing. Hot sauce on the hands or spray bottles work well. Its a deterrent that doesn't harm them. They just don't like it.

*removed by moderator*

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 11-05-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Leave politics out of it!
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Bubbles - did you actually read what I wrote?

What about the dogs that do like it? Then what? Like I wrote in my post ... I had a dog that loved it ... it's certainly wasn't going to stop her ... so then what?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

A good trainer told me this...
You're walking down the street in a foreign country, and someone runs up out of the blue, and throws water in your face.
You have no idea why. You're freaked out, because it's nothing you expected. You aren't sure when/if it'll happen again. However, you go on your way, a bit more cautious, and now stop at a vegetable stand. Again, someone runs up and tosses water in your face.
Now you're really upset. You have no idea why they're doing this, if you're offending them somehow, or what!?

And dogs are just like that. They are new to us, the ONLY way they know how to explore their world is with their mouths. They ONLY know how to play using their mouths. They don't sit around playing Monopoly and Go Fish.
They play with their mouths.

I agree you ought to discourage the biting but don't punish the puppy for normal puppy behavior. This is why redirection is much better- you're actually teaching them what to do, instead of constantly punishing them for what not to do.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lots of us stop our puppies from biting us with toys. It's typically something they grow out of. And if you redirect them to something they can bite. They get it, eventually. Plus I don't want my dog to end up not liking water. Or afraid of a spray bottle or something. Capones old owner sprayed the puppies with the hose for barking. He was terrified of the hose for months. Now he tolerates it but still avoids it if he can.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.