Need Some Heavy Duty Advice Quick! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Need Some Heavy Duty Advice Quick!

Hi All,
My wife and I decided to adopt a second GSD puppy from a shelter. We got about a 3 month old female that is really sweet. When we got her home and she met our 3yr old male, the reaction wasn't quite what we expected. With a flurry of barking that couldn't be controlled she really lay into him. It would be comical, really, watching this little 25lb shepherd pup just giving the big 125 pounder an earful, but of course, it isn't. He really didn't know what to make of it at first, then he started getting his two cents in. The din was incredible. This is new ground for us, so we put her in the crate and just let the two argue until they got tired. Of course that didn't last for long. My line of thinking is they need to get use to each other's presence, but I doubt if this method is the correct one. PLEASE, words of wisdom to make this work!

Frazzled Mike
MchaelS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I never introduce strange dogs in the house. Instead I introduce them on neutral ground, on leash and then take them for a very long walk (as in an hour walk). If possible I walk them with another person so that they can gradually meet one another. Then I take them in the house. That way they get used to one another a little and get some pent up energy out.

I also give each dog a separate space for the first little while.

If I were you, I would keep them completely separate tonight and then try again tomorrow, on leash, outside, and in a neutral location. The puppy sounds like she's scared.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is good information for bringing in a new dog: http://www.bigdogsbighearts.com/2_week_shutdown0001.pdf
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the quick responses. The whole neutral ground thing makes absolute sense and I should have thought of it sooner. However, wouldn't that affect the dog who's home it was more than the stranger? The new pup was starved for affection, this is something we caught on to immediately (the shelter was disgusting, I am so happy we did this) and her reaction was almost one of protecting us from him. Just a feeling.....but I am definitely no expert.

An update. I've actually had remarkable results with the ol "pennies in the can" trick. I know, right? It silences both dogs instantly, and we're already to the point where we can lead the new pup right past the male with no psycho responses from either. Fingers crossed, prayers to heaven that it will last!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Exclamation

Noticing what might be a strong herding instinct. She chases the big male and nips at his flanks. Any ideas on how to bring this under control? Trying to get them use to each other is going to be tough if this continues.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wouldn't allow the pup to do that. The risk is that is you don't stop it (by having her on a leash and not allowing her to that) your adult dog may lose patience and nip back - hard. It is going to take time for them to adjust. Make sure each one has time with you and your wife alone. To take them for walks together on leash but make sure they are seperate, so she can't herd the older dog.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In the house or outside? I would keep her on a leash both inside and outside. That will take care of that problem. She probably has a lot of pent up energy from the shelter so I would also be doing a lot of games, walks, etc. to try to let her get some of that out without bugging your other dog.

Do you have a crate for her? It seems like she would also benefit from spending time in the crate just watching the goings on in the house.

Is there a good trainer nearby with classes you could enroll in with the puppy?

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

From your responses it appears I am on the right track, anyhow. We only let her off the leash inside if the big dog is outside to control things. We did let her run free a little this morning, and it was a bit hilarious watching this little pup chase the 125lb warg, but I put the pup in the crate anyhow as a result and scolded her.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MchaelS View Post
From your responses it appears I am on the right track, anyhow.We only let her off the leash inside if the big dog is outside to control things. We did let her run free a little this morning, and it was a bit hilarious watching this little pup chase the 125lb warg, but I put the pup in the crate anyhow as a result and scolded her.
I don't understand.....hy would you scold a pup who doesn't know better? I would not allow the pup the opportunity to fail and start teaching her what is expected. The older dog shouldn't be the one to do this YET. But older dogs do teach the younger ones lessons we can't.

Did you read that link I posted? Because your pup just came from an unknown background & shelter, there should be some 'quarantine' time to learn about her more before you allow her and the other dog to run free. She needs confidence building, not so much "scolding" but shaping at this time. JMO....
Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MchaelS View Post
and her reaction was almost one of protecting us from him. Just a feeling.....but I am definitely no expert.

An update. I've actually had remarkable results with the ol "pennies in the can" trick. I know, right? It silences both dogs instantly, and we're already to the point where we can lead the new pup right past the male with no psycho responses from either. Fingers crossed, prayers to heaven that it will last!
Your new pup is not protective of you. She is scared and seeks protection from you near you.
The pennies-in-the-can will make her more insecure. It is an "old" technique and should stay in the past.
What she needs is (gentle) leadership, exercise and consistency from you. I would definitely keep her separate from the older dog most of the time to have her bond with you.
At this stage you have to teach her, not correct her. Take her to a good class so you and the pup will build a bond and confidence.
O... and don't lavish her with love just because of her shelter experience. That is history for her and her misery ended when you took her home. Thanks for taking her in.
Suzanne Clothier taught me a very important lesson:
When a new dog comes into your home he has three questions:
1. Who is in charge here?
2. What are the rules?
3. And where do I fit in?
You have to give him/her the answers otherwise he/she will come up with their own.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.