Need Some Heavy Duty Advice Quick! - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGSD View Post
I suggest to exercise Xena enough so that she is too tired for tantrums. A tired puppy is a good puppy.
Unfortunately I think she has more energy than myself, my wife, and my son combined, but its a good plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #32 (permalink)

Update: Apparently Zeke's methods of dealing with a rowdy puppy appear to be more effective than our own. I guess it would take a GSD to know what works on a GSD. Zeke has taken to taking control of the situation quite effectively and with no injury to Xena. A rumble (pretty intimidating one at that) a bat from his snout, and she's on her back begging forgiveness. About all we do is monitor things close to make sure he doesn't keep pulling rank and let it go to his head. The results are pretty cool!

Mike
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's great news. Happy "big brother" Zeke is doing so well with his "little sister" Xena.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Not an expert, but I had a similar story;
One day I brought my first dog, our second dog home. At the time she was 7
weeks old. An absolute playful bundle of love. Our first dog at home is a 16 year old beagle mutt; we got her from a shelter. I've never seen her get dominated in her day she was the biggest alpha you could ever imagin. In her old age she just eats once a day and sleeps often. Everytime she walks by our 'now 4 month old Adele, she ignores her. And all our young one wants to do is play. Once our older one snapped and bit nibbled her on the snout. So now we make the old one wear a muzzle. Our dogs tolerate each others presence but overall I can't say they get along. I think your dogs should be fine as their age difference is only 3 rather than 16.
Adele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #35 (permalink)

Update: Zeke and Xena are getting along fine. They really enjoy running around the yard chasing one another. Xena still has to be scolded by Zeke when she gets a little too over the top, but otherwise we're out of the woods as far as worrying about them.

Took Xena to the vet for her shots and check up. Found out she's a bit older than we first thought, closer to 5 months as she has some of her adult teeth already and just lost her first canine today. She's a little gal, to be sure. Weighed in at 28.7 pounds. Zeke at 8 weeks was heavier than that! LOL. Below is a pic.

Last edited by MchaelS; 11-21-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added text
MchaelS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm glad the two are getting along better, and that your boy is so level-headed to know just the right amount of force to put the puppy in her place without hurting her.

Have you enrolled in an obedience course with the pup? I highly recommend it. She will be a handful, so getting some obedience into her brain will help tremendously.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lovely photo - thanks for posting. Well, so the little Zena isn't so young after all - that explains a lot of her behavior. Zeke is sure wonderful with her.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.