Anyone play tug? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone play tug?

Whats everyones opinion on playing tug? It seems to vary from good to bad. some people say its too rough, it teaches the dog to be more aggressive, etc. and others say it's a good thing to learn and foster. I looked up some videos on tug especially Michael Ellis' videos but his focus is all protection work mostly and very little pet training. A lot of what he says is the complete opposite of what normal pet owners would want. His training philosophy is all about giving in to the dog, letting the dog "win" at tug so he builds confidence, encouraging biting and clamping, etc. which is all that I want to avoid at least for now. I don't want a puppy that not only bites but clamps down and wants to win and there's no way to get her to let go.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Tuggie is a great game and what Micheal does is very appropriate for the pet owner too. It's a great way to bond and build confidence in your pup, not to mention it's a fabulous training tool. Your pup lets go because you teach her to let go.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

There's nothing wrong with tugging, it's a great way to play with your dog! Agility and flyball people use tug rewards all the time, it's not just for protection work. You can use a tug to work on impulse control, and you can and should train an "out" so she learns how to let go on cue.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
There's nothing wrong with tugging, it's a great way to play with your dog! Agility and flyball people use tug rewards all the time, it's not just for protection work. You can use a tug to work on impulse control, and you can and should train an "out" so she learns how to let go on cue.
Yeah I had a real hard time with my puppy not letting things go out of her mouth. It's probably too young to tell but she has high prey drive and I think what they would call "fight drive". She's a little bit feisty. I thought I'd play tug and try an exercise where I encourage tug (as long as I initiate) and she would grab hold of a folded up towel and I mark with YES! Good tug and praise. And I shake it about and get her ramped up with high energy, real playful. And when i want her to let go, my energy level plummets, my voice pitch changes to serious and I say "Let go" and the tug toy goes limp. It took her a while and she's still learning but she'll continue to chew for a while and then when she does eventually let go, I mark YES! and praise "Good let go!" and immediately follow with "Tug!" and play again. Her reward for letting go is more play time and hopefully through this, it will help her to control her impulses. So far she has absolutely ZERO impulse control as a puppy and if she has something in her mouth, she is fighting to keep it at all costs. I have to pry open her mouth to take twigs, leaves and stuff out but recently she's been biting hard with pressure again when I do that so I need to figure out how to address her control.
It's just my luck that a lot of this happens in the yard some place farther away from her crate, so "walking away" isn't exactly as clear as if I were to end play and walk away from her playplace.

The other issue is, I feel like she is respecting me more and her biting is less but I see that she is snapping and biting at another family member. She senses weakness and lack of enforcement.. sometimes human training is more difficult than dog training. everything I do is undone whenever she hangs out with someone else. Need to get on the same page... :/
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use tug as a reward during training. If I don't want him to get bored with food treats, ill start using his favorite toy (a football with rope) and engaging in tug with him for doing what I asked. Then repeat

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
RyleesDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It' a great way to teach boundaries and easy when they weigh only a few pounds.
I love playing tug with the (now) big guy. And..you can play it inside too.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I teach 'drop it' as well as 'leave it' while playing tug. Even when they're so into shaking it and making their victory run after 'winning' she has learned to drop her tug toy upon command. It's a wonderful game! Good exercise for both parties too for I know I always feel sore and Zeeva is usually out of breath after playing for a while!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
sometimes human training is more difficult than dog training. everything I do is undone whenever she hangs out with someone else. Need to get on the same page... :/
I hear ya there! My husband refuses to be on the same page as me when it comes to training and then complains about the stuff our dog does to him. I am shocked when he tells me bc he has never done these things with me. And when I do try to explain to my husband about the research I'm doing on training methods he takes offense to it like I am belittling him. I can only imagine how brilliant our dog would be if we were both putting the same amount of time and effort into his exercise and training.
apenn0006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

YES!!! I think tug is one of the best things you can teach your dog. It establishes a play realtionship and makes IMO the best reward system because it involves YOU. Tug is about interaction with the handler, not just getting a piece of food or a toy to chase. It is an excellent outlet for dogs that like to bite, it's good exercise (for them and you) and it's good mental stimulation. I HIGHLY recommend the Michael Ellis video the power of playing tug with your dog. If I could only own one training DVD that would be it. Tug is a pretty complex game and you will be much more successful if you have a good idea of what you are looking to accomplish and the mechanics of playing the game.

Here is a video of me playing tug with Havoc (with some random behaviors thrown in.) He is about 17 months old and it took a good year of working at it before he was playing the game well (outing and bringing the tug back to me when he wins.) This was a huge accomplishment for us and has helped us to create a better realtionship and helps us work together as a team in all our other training.

Here is a short clip of Odin playing tug too, Odin was much easier to teach since he is not independent and possesive like Havoc. Notice when I let go of the toy he comes flying right back at me? That is what you are looking to accomplish.

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper ~ (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When you introduce the release word, if you really want to have some fun, stay away from the word "out" although I know this is the most popular word. The reason being, GSDs have a wide range of vocalizations, and you can eventualy train your dog to tell you "Owwww" when they need to pee. It's so cute!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.