occassional puppy growling - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

This totally sounds like play to me...runng away, growling, barking.

How old is Rico?
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlecrone018 View Post
My puppy, Rico is the sweetest, he is loving and friendly and just a really good dog. i train him often, and work with him. the problem i have been having though is that when he is outside and i tell him here, he sits there and looks at me, then when i attempt to bring him to me to show him what i wanted, he will run away and start to growl at me and bark. Just wondering if he is trying to play, or be mean? Also, am i doing the right thing by going to get him and bring him to me, to teach him what he needs to do. it does not seem to be working..
Well I disagree with pretty much everyone because for my dogs (and I'm on dog #4 ) they ALL as puppies display the behavior you describe as wanting to invite me to PLAY.

Your example is a specific incident that clearly shows a time that any smart puppy would MUCH rather try to 'trick' you into playing (fun fun fun) rather than going back into the house (boring boring boring). And the fact is if you now have to go chase him down and catch him you are playing is game so his invitation , a DOG invitation, was understood by you and you have engaged! WHOOHOO!!!

If you would now like to break down your relationship with your puppy who just wants to have a normal round of play, by over reacting and deciding this is a huge rebellious phase, I think it's a huge mistake.

This is JUST a normal training thing that we, as humans need to figure out before going into the yard and how we can manage/get our pup to come back into the house. So if it's by playing with the pup for a bit with a tug, and then dragging the tug/pup into the house, then that's making going into the house PART OF THE GAME.

Or running into the house and immediately going to the treat jar 100% of the time.

How are the dog classes going? Will your puppy listen in class with the other puppies? What does your instructor recommend?

How is your general 'engagement' training going? Engagement - Key to Training

Have you learned how to use the clicker/marker training yet? Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!)

Listen to the NORMAL growling between these 2 dogs playing (30 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ellen View Post
This totally sounds like play to me...runng away, growling, barking.

How old is Rico?
Good question............

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 11-16-2012 at 09:56 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I too think, that given what we know from the OP, that this puppy is exhibiting the desire to play.

OP says : "i tell him here, he sits there and looks at me, then when i attempt to bring him to me to show him what i wanted, he will run away and start to growl at me and bark. Just wondering if he is trying to play, or be mean? Also, am i doing the right thing by going to get him and bring him to me, to teach him what he needs to do. it does not seem to be working.. "

In the following article, note it includes that running towards a dog elicits play. Also, when teaching the recall or "here", remember to always set your puppy up for success. Never call her without being absolutely sure she will and that you can follow through. This means outside putting a 20-30 foot lead after the initial recall groundwork with your 6 foot leash on.

This article might help define that. Dog Behavior Blog: People Can Signal Playfulness to Dogs
Suka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Although it could be play, it could also be a poorly bred pup displaying fear. Without seeing it first hand or knowing the pup, I think writing it off as play right off the bad isn't fair. I'd like to think that the average person could recognize playful behavior from their pup. With the question being brought here, I don't think that the OP is recognizing this as play. Could be because it's not... or it could be that it is. I can tell the difference between a puppy play growl and when it's a serious growl coming from a pup. Maybe the OP can't, I don't know. With the amount of poorly bred GSDs out there, I'm hesitant to write it off as play with the info. given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.