Don't wanna jinx it... When did your puppy become manageable? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

Coming up on 8 months, I really can't say when things started to feel "normal" again ... but maybe about a month or two ago? I'm not saying Spirit doesn't need constant supervision -- he does! He'd bring the house down if left to his own devices LOL. But we get along very well now and I'm noticing I'm a lot more relaxed day-to-day.
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM1022 View Post
I misspoke when I used the word manageable. I just mean is 6 months a normal age for him to be more of a companion and less a monster? Out of no where he stopped trying to eat our indoor plants / couch cushions, chase the cats, and seems a bit calmer overall... We've truly never seen him sleep until this weekend, lol. Just thought this was pretty young to be behaving so well.
That's about the time that I've always noticed things starting to get easier too. I have had dogs go through a secondary chewing phase though, months after they originally stopped, so continue to supervise for a while longer, just in case. But by 6 months old they're fully housebroken, will indicate when they need to go out and don't have to be watched every single second, and they're sleeping through the night. For me, finally get a good nights sleep and being able to give the dog a bit more freedom so I can get things done without having to crate or put them outside makes life MUCH easier! They've also had quite a bit of training by then, so they're generally more manageable.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

That's about right, but as some have posted on here, they will revert, so you aren't totally out of the woods. Mine passed her AKC puppy class, but now that she isn't in a class (she wasn't quite old enough for CGC), she's getting a little wild again.
Jrnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Schatzi calmed down a bit at the 7 month mark, but right now at the 8 months she goes into high drive sometimes and it's like WOW But when she mellows down it's awesome. Inside the house she knows the rules so she is not much of a pain besides trying to snatch any food left on the counter lol which I am working on to stop ASAP! haha.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

My son stayed with me last night. He's not familiar with my routine, nor with Spirit. He stayed up with Spirit past my bedtime and then didn't put him in my room when he went to bed. So Spirit had run of the house all night and part of this morning.

Nothing happened

There was a time I couldn't imagine not closing him in somehow when I couldn't watch him. I'm nowhere near ready to leave him home alone, but I'm considering trying another night with my door open to see how he does. I can't believe I'm saying this. I want to dance and cry at the same time
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Sasha still a little monster at almost 10 months. Although she has calmed down a bit, she doesn't fool me. With the help of frozen marrow bones, bully sticks and hooves, it makes my life a lot easier

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh I'd say every day that goes by things seem to get better so I can't pinpoint the exact time that she became 'manageable'. She still has her off days but they're getting less and far between...I'd say now, at about 3 she is a good dog...

My husky was a brat at less than one but he's recently (at a little less than 4) calmed down...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

mine was a complete monster until he turned 13 weeks. He is now a lot calmer, but he still gets into his bite frenzies every now and then.
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm at day one with my new best friend, and he seems to be off and on w his chewing. He's really got the "eat, play, and poop" thing down to a routine. It's a cycle, but he is awesome! Don't wanna jinx it... When did your puppy become manageable?-imageuploadedbypg-free1353243251.804223.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Agher32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.