At what age does a puppy get affectionate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default At what age does a puppy get affectionate?

I understand that not all puppies are affectionate. They're just babies so they eat, poop, play, run around and get petted and sometimes I don't think even puppies really young know if they're getting praised or not. It's like they're all very happy go lucky. Just curious around what age did your dog get affectionate and start coming to you to be petted or praised, kind of rub his or her head on her legs, etc.?
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This was written when Hans was a little over 5 months old.
For all of you who have, or had, a landshark
Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

To tell you the truth I dont remember when this changed from landshark to lover. She is 9 months old right now and she is such a lover. I have had many loving dogs, but not ones that have been so affectionate as Chloe. I love to cuddle up with her especially on days that I am not feeling myself. She seems to always help me make my loving side show again.
Bear-Lasa-poo (Our energizer bunny) RIP
chloesmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't remember the exact age, but around 6 months I would get on the floor and cuddle with her and she wouldn't try and wiggle away.

At 16 months she now cuddles when I ask. We have certain places that we cuddle - on her doggie bed, I'll lay down on her bed and whisper her name - she comes flying over and flops down beside me, on her back legs in the air b/c she knows she's getting a tummy rub and a full body massage.

On the sofa I'll call her up every now and then (about once or twice a week) and she sprawls out and I start with a nice massage, and rub down and then I slowly start to tickle her. This ends up in a big chase around the house, and inevitably into the back yard for a huge romp.

Weekend mornings, I'll call her up on the bed for about 20 minutes and we cuddle and whisper sweet nothings to each other.

And finally at night, I'll call her up on the bed for a 10 minute cuddle and "relax" time so she's nice and mellow and ready for bed. I cuddle her and massage her paws, her ears, and her legs, then a nice tummy rub, and then I tell her to go to bed, and she jumps down, goes to her dog bed, and crashes for the night.

I waited til she was about a year before I started inviting her on the sofa / my bed, and I made sure she REALLY understood "off" when I was done. I didn't want her thinking she could be on the sofa / my bed whenever she wanted, and she doesn't. She always waits for an invite, and I've set it up so it's not a routine, but rather a special "surprise."
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mine was affectionate right from the start , she is now 11 weeks and I have noticed she is even more so this past week and is biting less and less.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

haha interesting, I'll read that link as well. Guess they're all quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
This was written when Hans was a little over 5 months old.
For all of you who have, or had, a landshark

This is promising

Last edited by pancake; 10-22-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloesmama2 View Post
To tell you the truth I dont remember when this changed from landshark to lover. She is 9 months old right now and she is such a lover. I have had many loving dogs, but not ones that have been so affectionate as Chloe. I love to cuddle up with her especially on days that I am not feeling myself. She seems to always help me make my loving side show again.
I had a very similar experience with our girl. She wanted nothing to do with cuddling up until a month ago. She is almost 11 months now. Not that it stopped me from touching her a lot and encouraging her to get close to me. It is very important at a young age to establish the bond. It might also be different between males and females, too. It might take awhile, but your pup will eventually become a big mooshy cuddle bug. Now I can't get Suki to STOP cuddling - needless to say I am now covered in her hair 24/7.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I can't remember either; but it must have been after about 5 months. And, the cuddling increases with time. I remember saying to myself, "I miss my Sikh (my cat that passed last summer), I don't get any affection from Rocco." Now, Rocco is very affectionate; but not always. He just turned a year and he still thinks only about playing. However, he is super affectionate in the mornings and when he is tired (usually at night).
In the mornings he is the most loveable creature in the world. He'll cuddled up between Hubby and me and wiggle and give kisses. Needless to say, I love mornings...
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

i remember when our pup was 4 months old or older he
wasn't a cuddle dog. when he became a cuddle dog
i don't remember. our dog is 5&1/2 yrs old. now he
is a cuddle bear, on the bed when it's time to go
to sleep, on the sofa whenever.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ah looks like its a couple of months minimum before they develop that quality. Good to know, I was just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.