At what age does a puppy get affectionate? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Grim has always come to me after "good boy" to have a head pat or a brief rub of his back. When he got to know me, he's lay on his side to get a short belly rub and scratch. However, he's not a really lovey dog because he's still a landshark. He will, however, hold one hand of mine pretty gently in his mouth while getting his belly rubbed. I haven't been able to do a lot of petting or cuddling with him, though. He only sleeps in his crate, the rest of the time he's pretty much go, go, go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I don't remember the exact age, but around 6 months I would get on the floor and cuddle with her and she wouldn't try and wiggle away.

At 16 months she now cuddles when I ask. We have certain places that we cuddle - on her doggie bed, I'll lay down on her bed and whisper her name - she comes flying over and flops down beside me, on her back legs in the air b/c she knows she's getting a tummy rub and a full body massage.

On the sofa I'll call her up every now and then (about once or twice a week) and she sprawls out and I start with a nice massage, and rub down and then I slowly start to tickle her. This ends up in a big chase around the house, and inevitably into the back yard for a huge romp.

Weekend mornings, I'll call her up on the bed for about 20 minutes and we cuddle and whisper sweet nothings to each other.

And finally at night, I'll call her up on the bed for a 10 minute cuddle and "relax" time so she's nice and mellow and ready for bed. I cuddle her and massage her paws, her ears, and her legs, then a nice tummy rub, and then I tell her to go to bed, and she jumps down, goes to her dog bed, and crashes for the night.

I waited til she was about a year before I started inviting her on the sofa / my bed, and I made sure she REALLY understood "off" when I was done. I didn't want her thinking she could be on the sofa / my bed whenever she wanted, and she doesn't. She always waits for an invite, and I've set it up so it's not a routine, but rather a special "surprise."
So when am I moving in? I need some of that.. lol
jmargel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ours is six months old and is not affectionate. I don't think she ever will be. It's sad because we really wanted a companion dog, and this pup didn't turn out that way.
Jrnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I forgot about this thread.. but Grim has changed. He LOVES to watch TV. Now that he's more dependable in house training, I've been letting him in on the bed with me for an hour or so at a time with his chew stick. He'll sometimes lay right next to me and even put his head on me briefly while he's taking in the TV program! When we move and have the big TV in the livingroom with the sofa, it will be interesting to see if he'll spend more time hanging out watching TV!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

My pup is 5 month old, and all he wants to do is bite me. Its sad because Im the one that wanted a dog to begin with, and now it seems like I am just a chew toy. He is not affectionate at all, with any of us, and my kids dont want to play with him because he hurts them. Hopefully he will outgrow this so we can enjoy him.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Susan67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think it depends on how you train them. Mine still aren't affectionate at 2 1/2 and nearly 4 as I've never really been all that affectionate toward them. I praise them when they deserve it, pet them when they deserve it etc but unnecessary affection isn't something all too common among us. If you coddle them, show them extra affection etc. I personally feel it confuses them. You are their master. Make them earn your affection so that it's extra special when they return it. And believe me it IS extra special when they return it if trained this way...JM humble O c:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

i've found that affection comes with training. as the pup learns to communicate with us they also become more loving.

puppies that i've started early have wanted more attention.
Rallhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My puppies were always cuddly, not snarky or sharky.
I use to hold their chewtoy in the evenings so they could unwind as they chewed themselves to sleep.
I did try to keep the pups very busy with mental stimulation and also played tug with them.
I really think tugging(til they start teething) is a great oral outlet. My pups had the older dogs to chew on as well, not sure if that helped them not trying to bite me, but it didn't harm my bonding with them. The other dogs corrected if they got too ramped up.
Even now, each dog wants a person to interact more than each other as far as attention/play.
My male wanted to train and many times just pushed toys at me to get going with it already! Any time he did that, I took advantage.

Look at what you are or are not doing and see if your pup is just really begging you to stimulate their brain~ biting and playing is about the only way they've communicated with their litter-mates...they want interaction~if biting is the way they can get game on, then that is what they will do.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.