4 month old GSD Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
avi

Default 4 month old GSD Puppy

Hi All

I am new to the forum and would like to apologise in advance for asking the following questions because I am sure someone has already asked them!

I have a beautiful 4 month old GSD puppy (male). He is very quick at learning things and has such a great temperament around the family. Our youngest child (3yrs) old is the litmus test.

We managed to house break the puppy within in a few days (we actually got him just as he was turning 7 weeks). He has never soiled in the house of his own accord.

I am writing for some advice on 2 areas.

1) He will do his business in the garden happily but when I take him for a walk he just will not pee or poo anywhere in the open grounds I take him to or the park! He will sniff around and whine to go but will not do it until we get home and then he will go in the garden and do his business. How do I get him to understand that walkies is about relieving himself?

2) This issue is a little more concerning for me (I suppose). I have noticed that when we do go out for walks (please note we have been about 6-7 times in the last few weeks not everyday) he will:

i) Sniff alot and look around alot.

ii) When he sees other dogs he shys away or sits next to me. I have not really made any effort to take him nearer to the other dogs. I think I am little vary that they make attack him. Yesterday evening I met a person with a 3 month old GSD (approx half the size of my dog) and yet my dog was shying away and hiding behind me whereas the other puppy was more confident and even growling/barking at my dog!

iii) On our walks I keep getting the feeling he just wants to go home as he pulls alot on the way back yet walks calmly when we first start out on our walk. That could be down to him wanting to go for pee/poo but I am not sure.

He is very friendly with other people and sometimes gets too excited to meet people. As I mentioned above we have only been out a few times mainly because we have alot of ground around the house for him to roam around in and hence he is not couped up in the house. Though I must say he prefers to stay inside the house most of the day if he got it his way.

Can someone please advise me on the above and what I need to do to make my dog a great family pet but also a protective guardian who will not run at the first sign of trouble.

Many thanks for all responses in advance.

Avi Rao
avi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
avi

Further note - Please note the puppy spends 90% of its time inside the house and only stays outside when the weather is good. At most for a couple hours per day.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would walk the puppy outside in the garden on a leash and when he poos or pees then praise and give it a name. Good spot, good pee, whatever. Then after you do that a few times take him on the leash other places and encourage him to go by saying, find a spot or whatever word you pick. I taught all my dogs to go on command this way. Find a spot is what I use. It worked really well on a two week road trip we just took. I could stop at a rest area, tell Raina to find her spot and be back on the road quickly. Secondly, your pup needs to be socialized. If you have had all the shots try to find another person that has a stable dog or pup to meet up with on neutral ground. Socializing your pup is very important as you got him from the litter a little early and the last two weeks from 6-8 weeks is when pups learn a lot about socialization and correct dog behavior from the rest of the litter. You have to let him know you will never take him anywhere he will be hurt and he has to know he can trust you to protect him. The bond will build. Walks are very important learning experiences at this age. Let him sniff. He is picking up messages. He needs to be able to explore a little so no heeling while on those play walks. Let him explore and sniff as much as possible. Also now is a good time to practice eye attention with a clicker. It will serve you well in the future.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm relatively new to all this as well but I'll give it ago from what I've learned so far.

1. It may not be a bad thing that he won't go on your walks, there may be a day where it's too cold (depending on your location) or you are not able to walk him for a bathroom break. One of my friends has the exact opposite problem, her dog will only use the bathroom if they are walking.

2. It sounds like you need to socialize your dog more (the younger dog could have been barking/growling not out of confidence but out of fear). There are a lot of threads of her on how to properly socialize your pup, I'd suggest using the goolge search option above just use "socialization" as your key work and you'll find a ton of information. Socialization is key to raising a sound, well rounded dog. Get him out around people, new experiences, introduce him to the lovely world that surrounds him, keep it positive. A puppy class would also be beneficial in getting him used to other dogs.

Best of luck.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awesome, he wants to potty in his own space, you do not have to carry poop bags. Rejoice.

Or, when he goes in the yard, always say, Go Potty! and praise afterwards. If you have to get him to go elsewhere, and you might, try to use the same terms you tell him every day, Go Potty! It may click.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it makes you feel any better the other day my dog chose the one yard on our walk where the owner was outside to do his business. It's not bad enough that his poop was a tad loose and messy to pick up, but to make matters worse he pooped right on their driveway...he NEVER does that I don't know what he was thinking! SO embarrassing. The guy was just standing there watching me while I was trying to scrape the poo off of his driveway.
apenn0006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apenn0006 View Post
If it makes you feel any better the other day my dog chose the one yard on our walk where the owner was outside to do his business. It's not bad enough that his poop was a tad loose and messy to pick up, but to make matters worse he pooped right on their driveway...he NEVER does that I don't know what he was thinking! SO embarrassing. The guy was just standing there watching me while I was trying to scrape the poo off of his driveway.
I'm sorry apenn0006, I had to laugh at your post, because I thought things like that only happened to me
Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
I'm sorry apenn0006, I had to laugh at your post, because I thought things like that only happened to me
haha it's like they notice when they have an audience...My bag had a hole in it so it was just a bad experience all around. Not only did I smear poo into his driveway but I got it all over my hands trying to get it up. This is also the same yard that my dog pooped in last time the owner was outside but atleast he got it in their grass that time. I don't know why they feel the need to subject us to that kind of humiliation.
apenn0006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi View Post
1) He will do his business in the garden happily but when I take him for a walk he just will not pee or poo anywhere in the open grounds I take him to or the park! He will sniff around and whine to go but will not do it until we get home and then he will go in the garden and do his business. How do I get him to understand that walkies is about relieving himself?
Not sure what to make of that, but I assume it's something he will pick up eventually. You could always try bringing him to a park and letting him play there until he has no choice but to go to the bathroom, then rewarding him with praise and a treat when he does.

Just be careful about giving out treats when your dog goes to the bathroom. My GSD is very, very food motivated. When I started giving him treats for going to the bathroom outside, he started going to the bathroom inside too hoping he'd get a treat. I stopped that tactic immediately.

Quote:
2) This issue is a little more concerning for me (I suppose). I have noticed that when we do go out for walks (please note we have been about 6-7 times in the last few weeks not everyday) he will:

i) Sniff alot and look around alot.
That's just him being curious.

Quote:
ii) When he sees other dogs he shys away or sits next to me. I have not really made any effort to take him nearer to the other dogs. I think I am little vary that they make attack him. Yesterday evening I met a person with a 3 month old GSD (approx half the size of my dog) and yet my dog was shying away and hiding behind me whereas the other puppy was more confident and even growling/barking at my dog!
He just needs proper socialization. Do you know other people with dogs that are friendly? If so, arrange play dates. Don't be too concerned if your dog is wary of other dogs at first. A lot of puppies are. Just give it time and keep exposing him to other (friendly) dogs and he'll warm up eventually.

Quote:
iii) On our walks I keep getting the feeling he just wants to go home as he pulls alot on the way back yet walks calmly when we first start out on our walk. That could be down to him wanting to go for pee/poo but I am not sure.
My GSD did the same thing when he was a puppy. I never really did figure this out, but I think it was just because he was intimidated by the world and wanted to go home. He'll likely grow out of it just like mine did.

Quote:
He is very friendly with other people and sometimes gets too excited to meet people. As I mentioned above we have only been out a few times mainly because we have alot of ground around the house for him to roam around in and hence he is not couped up in the house. Though I must say he prefers to stay inside the house most of the day if he got it his way.
Just keep taking him out and letting him meet people. You probably want him to be really friendly with people, so encourage it by letting him meet as many as possible.
briantw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
avi

Hi All

Many thanks for the supportive messages and advice. I guess I am more keen for him to be perfect and sometimes overlook the fact that he is just a puppy and child in the mind at present.

I will post more on progress

Thanks
Avi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.