Humpy Puppy (please help) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Humpy Puppy (please help)

Very embarrassing question here but I really need some direction. We brought Elvis home at 8 weeks from a reputable breeder. He learned to sit the first night home. The following day he learned outside, where the water was, come, follow, kennel and a little speak - He didn't do them all every time but more often than not. His general behavior is very good. He acts like an adult dog most of the day. Aside from nipping. Our Border collie works hard and he doesn't bother her with puppy antics… just observes. They do play together 3 or 4 times a day. Biting mostly toys.

He is 9 weeks old and is getting more respectful each day of not biting and is still interested in learning. He learned paw this afternoon - on his initiation.

But each night at 9 PM he goes insane. I call it the "9 O'clock Crazies". I figure "go nuts" kiddo - he deserves being a bit out of control for being so good all day. Barking like crazy, running, jumping, snapping, throwing itself around, attacking the carpet, baseboards, himself - normal crazy puppy stuff - I just stay out of the way (he doesn't tear anything up - it's like he's testing me on EVERYTHING). But the last new nights he has started wildly humping a pillow. MEAN. I just kind of stand back with a raised eyebrow. Each night seems to get a little more aggressive - an attack hump.

My question is… What do I do?
He is SOOOO good all day and mindful. I figure if it wears him out so I can sleep at night - go ahead. But my concern is aggression - and will this form a bigger problem later as an adult?

His job is to work a farm. I homestead on 200 acres out in the middle of NOWHERE. He will eventually help with herding. He is also going to be my personal protection during the day/evening while I work outside until dark each night while my husband is at work. Eventually, he will be on night patrol of the property but he will be allowed inside during the day as he has shown his manors are nice and he likes to rest on the laundry room floor or in his kennel currently in our bedroom. (no - he has never witnessed anything of the nature).
I have no intentions of breeding, achieving any titles or neutering. I just needed another farm hand.
Should I curb this activity? I don't have any idea if this is going to help or hurt as an adult. I do not want a leg hound or him trying to mount my Border Collie as she will be much smaller than him (she is spayed). Pillow is fine in my book as long as it doesn't make him goofy down the road.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
HomesteadTillURdead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Humping is just plain rude behavior. It's rude if he begins to do it to other dogs, too.

I do not allow it, but do not make a big deal of it. I don't say anything, don't give him any attention for it, but shove a toy in front of his face to redirect him. So far, it has always worked, and he hasn't done it in a while.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

that's so funny, my puppy does that also. i just started telling him no everytime he starts to hump his pillow pet dragon, and he is starting to do it less and less each day. good luck though :P
diezel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I rescued a toy poodle one time that was about a year and he was a major humper. He also was aggressive with the other dogs. I'm not sure if the two were connected but I couldn't walk through the house without him attached to my leg. When he went to his new home, he humped everybody that walked through the door. Nothing could stop this dog...he was relentless. Finally after about two weeks we got him neutered. Within a month of the neutering he stopped humping..
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I really don't know, as your situation is so different than mine, but I'm a 1000% anti-humper kinda human owner. I hate humping. No, I detest humping. Just speaking for me, I shut it down every time and not in a really nice kind of way. In a way that really got their attention and I don't mean beating them or any such thing -- just a major reaction on my part.

I have no humpers in my house because I simply cannot stand it. I can easily count on two hands, and have fingers left over, how many times my four dogs have tried to hump each other or anything else. Someone close to me owned a humper and made all kinds of excuses for it. I did NOT enjoy being humped by their dog on a fairly consistent basis. Maybe that's where my hatred of humping dogs came from.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

I really appreciate your replies. I have ALWAYS been anti-hump since the day my Grandmother threw a neck pillow on the floor and let her (female) Yorkie go at it at a family function - Easter I think.
I was mortified.
Anyways, monkey see monkey do--- it sets up confusion in my head as someone in my family saw it as acceptable.
I have had boy dogs that work in the field that I had neutered and they still humped. I was just short of throwing rocks on some days as farmers drove past watching my boy LGD (livestock guard dogs) humping each other.
I do think it's rude too. OFFENSIVE! But I just wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing for a GSD and someone to put it into context or me. Lots of things about this breed has surprised me.
So many people have made posts about just letting them be puppies - and your suppose to be the greatest thing on earth so I thought taking this away might make me out to be a jerk. …so it's good to know someone else has had success with it.
SO many thanks! I hope I can find something to replace it with and I am glad I said something before he really got use to doing it! It's only been 2-3 days! ::whew::
HomesteadTillURdead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesteadTillURdead View Post
...SO many thanks! I hope I can find something to replace it with and I am glad I said something before he really got use to doing it! It's only been 2-3 days! ::whew::
I didn't try to replace anything. I just said a very firm NO HUMP and gave them a little knock to make it stop. None of mine have tried to hump toys or whatever. If they did, I'd probably just permanently remove that toy.

You, too, can defeat a humper!!!!!

ETA -- I do believe that dealing with it quickly and early is the way to go. As with any behavior, the longer it has gone on and the more ingrained, the harder it is to break.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

it's not rude. it's a pup being a pup. future stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Humping is just plain rude behavior. It's rude if he begins to do it to other dogs, too.

I do not allow it, but do not make a big deal of it. I don't say anything, don't give him any attention for it, but shove a toy in front of his face to redirect him. So far, it has always worked, and he hasn't done it in a while.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

another super pup. don't worry about the crazies or the
humping. when he gets the crazies use that time as playtime
or go for a walk. when he humps use that time to teach him
"no". don't worry he'll out grow the crazies and humping with
a little guidance/training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesteadTillURdead View Post

>>>> We brought Elvis home at 8 weeks from a reputable breeder. He learned to sit the first night home. The following day he learned outside, where the water was, come, follow, kennel and a little speak - <<<<

He is 9 weeks old and is getting more respectful each day of not biting and is still interested in learning.

>>> He learned paw this afternoon - on his initiation.<<<<
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

My female pup was doing the same thing around that age. We put a stop to it the moment it occurred, redirecting and taking away the toy (mine did it to stuffed animals). This phase lasted a month or two and hasn't reoccurred. Hopefully you'll have the same outcome with your little guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.