rescue gsd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default rescue gsd

5month gsd female no training or socializing never had a leash on and will poop any were open for ideas
odin1937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hopefully some dog trainers will chime in. I just got a 5 month old pound puppy 2 weeks ago similar issues. I went out right away and bought a harness. Put it on him and leashed his little puppy behind to me. He is such a little pleaser wanting to do what I want of him that is has been pretty easy. After two weeks he is potty trained, he knows his name, he has learned to come when I call, he sits about 3/4 of the time and we are working on socialization. I have an awesome vet with friendly helpful staff. We go visit every couple of days about an hour at a time. We sit in the waiting room and work on manners as people and animals come and go. He has had several tours of the back where he gets to practice standing on the scale and riding up and down on the vets table. Just Friday he felt comfy enough to lay down on it and give us a big yawn. I also take him with me for car rides to walmart or the grocery store and we just sit in the car and people watch. I have also taken him to my daughters apartment and introduced him to her and her boyfriend. It sure was a hoot to watch him try to navigate her stairs. Next visit we will see how he does with her cats. My boy is very treat and touch oriented. Loving touches and yummy treats and he is willing to do anything for me. Mostly it takes patience. Good luck!
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm not sure how long that you've had this girl.
Sounds like not long. This was something posted by msvett2u originally with another member's newly rescued GSD.
If she's fearful or stressed that could be part of the pooping everywhere. A fearful dog won't go in one spot, they feel vunerable. They will "walk poop".....
A fearful GSD may appear "aggressive" and there may be something to that, but it may just be bad posturing to ward off whatever scares it.
Anyway, here's the Two Week Shut Down. This is good stuff.

Please do A TWO WEEK SHUT DOWN. Here is the info. Begin this immediately.

It's basically a "REBOOT" of the dog's system and brain.

"I introduced her to 15 people" " he was a bit leery but seems to like my other 3 dogs"
"she went everywhere with me "
All in the first few days of the new home..... (!!!)

Two weeks later we read
“I think we will have to rehome the new dog" "the new dog barked and nipped at my kid"
"we had a dog fight"

Ok, folks, here it comes; some feel this is extreme, why? I really do not know.
But when bringing in a new dog, post finding, adoption, buying, etc, Give it time to adjust to you
your family and the dogs in the new environment.

TWO WEEKS - "shut down"
For the first two weeks, (sometimes even longer) a dog takes in the new environment, who is the top
persons, dogs, who ARE these people! By pushing a dog too fast and throwing too much at the dog we look like we are not the leaders and the dog can feel it MUST defend itself, as the leader is surely
no one he has met so far!
We coo, coddle, drag the dog to home to home to person to person, and the dog has NO idea who
we are.
As member Maryellen here said, "This is the dating period NOT the honeymoon"
When you first met your "mate”, you were on your best behavior, you were not relaxed enough to be
all of yourself, were you? Just think of the things you do physically once you get to KNOW a person,
you wouldn’t run up to a stranger and hug them and squeeze them!
Imagine, if on the first date, this new person, was all over you touching you and having their friends hug you
and pat you on the head, and jostle your shoulders, then he whisked you off to another stranger’s home and
they did the same thing. Would you think this person normal and SAFE? Wouldn’t you feel invaded and
begin to get a bit snarky yourself? Wouldn’t you think to push these people away for obviously your date
is out of their mind and they aren’t going to save you from these weirdos!!
Yet we do this to our dogs, and then get upset or worried that they aren’t relaxed and accepting of EVERYTHING
instantly!

By shutting down the dog, it gives the dog TIME to see you, meet YOU, hear and take in the new sounds
and smells of your home.
I crate the dog in a room by itself if possible.(Believe me, dogs are sensory animals, they know more than you think without seeing it).
I take it out on a leash (so I don’t have to correct it ..I don’t have that right yet!), I give it exercise time in the yard,
I do no training at all, just fun exercise and maybe throw some toys for fun, leash the dog if you don’t have a fence outside. But I DO NOT leave my yard, AT ALL.
No car rides, no other dogs, (unless crated beside them), no pet stores, no WALKS even, nothing but me, my home, my yard. (Unless of course the dog needs to go to the veterinarian)
Believe me dogs can live two weeks without walks. Walks are stressful for there is so much coming at you! And the new person you have no clue who they are yet. The dog may react to something and we start correcting it with the leash and we just installed a VERY STRESSFUL moment to the dog!
TEACH the dog by doing the shut down, that YOU are the one to look to, that you are now here for the dog! He can
trust in you and look to you as its new leader!!
In the house I have the dog out only for about 20 minutes post exercise/yard times.
And, ALWAYS on a leash.
Then PUT THE DOG AWAY. Let it absorb and think.
I do not introduce the dogs for these two weeks, they can be side by side in the crates, (not nose to nose for they can feel defensive) . Some dogs will bond instantly with the other dogs if we don’t bond FIRST with the dog, and this can lead to some other issues, as the dog will look to the other dog(s) for guidance and not YOU!

Literally in two weeks you will see a change in the dog and begin to see its honest and true personality.
Just like a house guest...they are well behaved and literally shut down themselves these first few weeks, then
post this time, they relax and the true personality begins to shine thru!

So, please, if nothing else for your new dog, give it the time to LEARN YOU as you are learning who they are!
This method works on shy dogs, confident dogs, abuse cases, chained dogs that come in, rowdy dogs, all temperaments!

(From PBF’s “luvnfstuff”, revised for spelling errors)

Once again, thanks msvett2u.....this still is my all time favorite post. (besides the silliness of the Random Thread)
Sean's Dogs.com
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Crate training will help with the pooping problem... How did you get a dog with no training and you have no clue what to do? Just curious
Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieJ View Post
I'm not sure how long that you've had this girl.
Sounds like not long. This was something posted by msvett2u originally with another member's newly rescued GSD.
If she's fearful or stressed that could be part of the pooping everywhere. A fearful dog won't go in one spot, they feel vunerable. They will "walk poop".....
A fearful GSD may appear "aggressive" and there may be something to that, but it may just be bad posturing to ward off whatever scares it.
Anyway, here's the Two Week Shut Down. This is good stuff.

Once again, thanks msvett2u.....this still is my all time favorite post. (besides the silliness of the Random Thread)
Carrie you should double check with msvette2u to be sure but I'm almost postive that a two week shut down is for an older rescue. A 5 month old puppy needs socialization you could do more harm than good by isolating her that young. at 5 months she is still a baby, still teething and still very much able to adapt.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No, you're right about that. I missed the five month old part for some reason. That just bounced off my very tired brain. (long two days)
D'oh. Apparently I need small words and big pictures tonight.
She probably could handle a puppy social. No dog parks....those don't offer much in the area of socialization.
The poop thing still could be stress. It does take some time to change an environment. And, food....whatever the pup is eating.
Crate training and a professional trainer would definitely help.
Sean's Dogs.com
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default rescue gsd

Hi in answer to all the replies i have had the pup for all of a week . she had been chasing sheep the owner just let the pup do what it wanted he had no secure fences. and the owner of the sheep was going to shoot her so she was given to the rescue service.i already own a 6 yr old male whom i do tracking and obedience with i was asked to take the pup before she was put down she gets on with my male with small issues she is in a crate of a night. i took her to my club, when she seen all the other dogs she went frantic trying to get at every dog she could see and she is very hard to restrain when i came home she went in doors with me and pooped in the kitchen but i will keep her as it is not her fault. Odin
odin1937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got mine at 3 months and she had some of the same issues, mainly the potty training..she too was kept outside I can tell you it will take lots of patience and when you think the dog isn't going to get any better they do It took me about a month and a half to get her where I wanted her, so I imagine it will take you slightly longer. I would take the dog to obedience class asap and exercise her as much as possible(anyway you can). Good Luck
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

With a 5 mo. old you can do a modified version (shorter crate times, etc.), it is not going to hurt to only leash the dog for all outings and keep stimulation to a minimum for the first few weeks. Keep her leashed in the house, too.
Young pups still need to learn who is leader and if you're constantly exposing her to new things the first few days/weeks, she won't do that.
I'd build up the socialization but definitely do not overdo it at first.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
With a 5 mo. old you can do a modified version (shorter crate times, etc.), it is not going to hurt to only leash the dog for all outings and keep stimulation to a minimum for the first few weeks. Keep her leashed in the house, too.
Young pups still need to learn who is leader and if you're constantly exposing her to new things the first few days/weeks, she won't do that.
I'd build up the socialization but definitely do not overdo it at first.
Thanks.

Here is what is working for us:

leashed to us during day/crated at night until we had potty training down. Now just crated at night.

First week small rides in car and watching people from saftey of car. Introduced to one friend visiting at our house. One friend from car.

Second week 1 hour visits to vets office every other day. End of second week visited daughter and her boyfriend.

Thinking this week am going to continue with the vet visits and maybe add in a trip or two to the feed store that allows pets. Am looking for a puppy socialization class, but havent found one yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.