5 month old puppy jumping and biting....HELP!!!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 month old puppy jumping and biting....HELP!!!!!!

We got our first GSD at 8 weeks of age. Her name is Minka and she'll be 5 months old on the 26th of this month. She's an angel inside the house and the best puppy ever, BUT, when we go outside with our two older Labs, she lunges at all of us and shows her teeth and bites us.

She hurt my 8 year old son yesterday biting him. I've tried everything and nothing is working. We love her and want her to be as gentle outside and she is inside...advice PLEASE!!!
medapatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would say get her to group obedience class asap..... nip it in the bud now
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I forgot to add that I've bought training books and I've tried turning my back but she only bites my backside. I don't understand why she's so sweet inside but outside she's a devil...lol.

I might try an obedience class at our Petsmart or Tractor Supply. I'm still working on the leash thing right now.
medapatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I remember when my boy was that age he would lose his mind outside. Being outside was so enjoyable for him it was sensory overload & he could be a wild man!

I would suggest putting her on a leash while outside so unwanted behavior can quickly be corrected.

I would also take her outside alone & work with her without the other dogs.

Bring toys that she enjoys to play but she only gets them after following your commands..whatever they maybe..sit/down, etc.

You start the game & end the game...always your terms.

I also second the training classes, get enrolled in a basic class for now. You will be amazed at her progress!

That's all I have at the moment...I'm sure others will chime in
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks!! We have a yard full. We have a 13 year old Lab, 2 year old Lab, 8 week old Lab puppy, 3 mini Dachshunds and a rescued Papillon and of course this girl who turns 5 months old next week. We are dog lovers and I've always wanted a German Shepherd. My youngest son's father is retired K9 and helped me get her.

I am looking forward to all the replies....
Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh my goodness you do have a house full! LOL

Have you noticed a big difference in the way your GSD acts as a puppy compared to the others?

My neighbor got a lab puppy maybe two months before we brought our boy home...it's very interesting to compare the two & how they act. We take our boys for walks often together & her lab just bounces along/happy go lucky & my boy is alert, looking around, intense gaze at something, looking up at me to make sure I'm still there. Mine was way more mouthy as a puppy too. LOL
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oh Minka definitely knows her place in the household. My old Lab is definitely the king and Minka knows it. She's very docile around him and the other Lab. She's very playful and sweet around the weenies too.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've had Labs my whole life and they are soooo sweet and always eager to please. The GSD is new to me, but I can already tell how brilliant she is. I am hoping to settle her down and be able to enjoy being outside with her.

She comes inside in the morning to eat while we get ready for school/work and again in the evenings to eat. I wish she acted outside the way she does inside. Total different dog!!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Is she living outside for the most part??? All that biting and jumping is her way of saying hi I'm here play with me now now now If she is allowed in only to eat the inside of your house is a place she isn't comfortable with- so she is better behaved there. It sounds like she needs more one on one training time with you, and exercise. Besides yard play do you ever take her out and about?? Shepherds need LOTS of outdoor activity, leashed walks, one on one training, and off leash crazy running time especially for the first 2 years when they are full of energy. With all those dogs it's going to be a struggle to really work with this girl, exercise her enough, and teach her boundaries. GSD's are mouthy little biting tazmanian devils when you allow training and exercise to lapse. I would find a real obedience school in your area- no petsmart and tractor supply, and begin to step up her exercise and mental training. It's the only thing that will calm her down
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks!! We have 5 acres with a full acre fenced around the house. She gets tons of exercise. I just don't want her to hurt my son again by biting him. When Evan turns around and firmly says 'NO BITE' Minka shows her teeth and lunges him again. I know it's going to be hard work, but she's worth it!!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.