6 Months old and still mouthing and nipping - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6 Months old and still mouthing and nipping

My pup turned 6 months old. She is spayed and is learning through our training well except when she first gets up and gets hyper in play she really nips and mouths hard. She is better than she was but still, I thought on the average that the mouthing and nipping should be gone by now ? Her teeth are fully in but she chews on everything. I do provide her with MANY items to chew on and focus her energy on but she stills loves our flesh and nips me in the stomach. I think she is herding me as that happens when we are walking around the house.
GSDMUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've had some trouble trying to get my dog to stop nipping - he is 10months and still does it. However - he is getting much better. The best thing that has worked for me is a firm NO! (A trainer told me to walk away and absolutely ignore him) nipping time is over. Just ignore and show your dog that you won't play if he nips. As for chewing, bitter apple spray, a walk around the block or fetch in the back. If that doesn't work - put him in a time out for 3 minutes. If he comes out and chews again, back in the crate for 3 minutes. Good luck!
danehdee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I have a GSD that's almost 8 years old and I STILL can't play with her mouth or I'll get bit when she's just playing.

So I've 100% taught her we only play with long tug toys or she has to drop the ball. And I still have to reinforce and remind her.

It's really a teaching issue for US. As well as truly being MUCH more an issue for GSD's than most other dogs. So you aren't going crazy, and when people who do NOT have GSD's don't understand it's cause they can't.

Just keep referring back to the Puppy BITING!!! Teaching Bite Inhibition <-- click that!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
As well as truly being MUCH more an issue for GSD's than most other dogs. So you aren't going crazy, and when people who do NOT have GSD's don't understand it's cause they can't.

I'm so glad to just hear you say the above about others not understanding. I have a friend with a poodle that had three GSD's when she was growing up and she said hers learned quickly not to nip...just say, "No!", spray her with water, yelp and she will now not to do it". Well it hasn't been working much, although she is naturally getting better but ouch! People think that all puppies are the same way. These characters are great but VERY much landsharks! Mine is also herding me, nipped me in the butt today!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDMUM View Post
I'm so glad to just hear you say the above about others not understanding. I have a friend with a poodle that had three GSD's when she was growing up and she said hers learned quickly not to nip...just say, "No!", spray her with water, yelp and she will now not to do it". Well it hasn't been working much, although she is naturally getting better but ouch! People think that all puppies are the same way. These characters are great but VERY much landsharks! Mine is also herding me, nipped me in the butt today!!!!
Lol... Mine jumps and snaps for the crotch. Its not uncommon for him to catch my pants right at the point on the seam where the four panels come together in the crotch. He thinks that is the best tug ever, since dad (me) freaks out. And since I am trying to avoid correcting him as much as possible, all I can really do is act like he so strong and try and redirect.

Ezra von der Rennbahn
Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

BR870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I must have lucked out, but my 10 month old Koda started nipping at an early age. We immediately reacted and said NO BITE and immediately stopped playing!!! Very loud and firm, this took about 3 times and he hasn't nipped since.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

You're fortunate!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR870 View Post
Lol... Mine jumps and snaps for the crotch. Its not uncommon for him to catch my pants right at the point on the seam where the four panels come together in the crotch. He thinks that is the best tug ever, since dad (me) freaks out. And since I am trying to avoid correcting him as much as possible, all I can really do is act like he so strong and try and redirect.
LOL! That's hilarious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.