Excessive licking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Excessive licking

So, Luna is a little lickmeister. I come home, and she's all over me, licking every bit of skin that she can get at. I thought it was funny as a young pup. We'd be in class and the trainer would come up behind her and pet her on the head, and Luna would start licking the air. I get out of the shower, and she attacks my shins. We're on a walk and she walks comfortably, then my leg gets too close so she attacks it once more with her tongue. it doesn't bother me so much, but it does bother other people, family and friends. And...it's weird.

Just wondering, is there a reason for her excessive licking? Anyone else have a dog that licks too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My rescue is a licker too. I actually like it, but it does annoy other people. I can't get her to stop doing it. I tried bitter apple, chili powder, corrections, ignoring etc etc and she still does it. I don't think it's something she will outgrow. She is exactly like yours. She licks EVERYTHING. When she's getting scratches or praise, she licks the air like a little furry snake tasting the air. Even inanimate objects aren't safe....she licks furniture, walls, carpet, tile, grass, trees, her crate, doors, rugs.... It's never ending.

Shower licking is her favorite. She camps out and watches me in the shower. The second I come out, she attacks my legs and toes with her scratchy cat-like tongue until she's satisfied. She's also gotten really good at sneak attack lickings. When you least expect it...BAM! She'll get your cheek, lips or ears. Every night before bed, she sits on my feet and gives me a good grooming before drifting to sleep. Another favorite of hers is the "drive-by licking." She'll be walking to her food bowl or going to pick up a toy and any exposed skin that is in her path gets a casual drive-by lick

I have a feeling it might be due to her excessive anxiety (at least in my case). She was neglected and abused by previous owners. As a result, she has some abnormal coping mechanisms. I think licking is just one of them that allows her to self-soothe and calm herself. Maybe a bit like a toddler or baby sucking on a pacifier to self-soothe. My licker also whines excessively and paces. She's a leaner as well and likes to rest her paws on my feet whenever she is sleeping. I think she likes to physically feel others near her. Probably had something to do with being neglected and taken from her mother/siblings too early when she was a puppy

Last edited by qbchottu; 11-30-2011 at 01:55 AM.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

My girl isn't so bad with the inanimate objects. It's mainly just people that she's interested in. It's more funny than anything else, but she's really compulsive about it. Just wanted to know if anything medically could be wrong with her. I keep forgetting to mention it to my vet.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sep View Post
My girl isn't so bad with the inanimate objects. It's mainly just people that she's interested in. It's more funny than anything else, but she's really compulsive about it. Just wanted to know if anything medically could be wrong with her. I keep forgetting to mention it to my vet.
Does she have anxiety? I am considering medication options for my rescue to help reduce her anxiety. After consulting behaviorists, trainers and vets, medication is our next option.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

She doesn't seem to. She's a bit weak-nerved, but I wouldn't describe her as anxious. I guess my best bet is the vet.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I really like this article because it gives you multiple causes, but it can be a little overwhelming. A vet would be a good place to start

Some others:
Is Your Dog Licking or Kissing? - Page 1
Does Your Dog Lick You Too Much? How to Stop Excessive Dog Licking | 123-pet.com
How to Stop Excessive Licking
Article
Merck Veterinary Manual

Snipped from Merck Vet Manual:
Compulsive licking has the following necessary condition: licking in excess of that required for standard grooming or exploration. The following condition is sufficient: licking in excess of that required for grooming or exploration that represents a change in the animal’s typical behavior and interferes with other activities or functions (eg, eating, drinking, playing, interacting with people) and cannot easily be interrupted. The sufficient condition describes the characteristic manifestations of all obsessive-compulsive disorders (OCD): repetitive, out-of-context behaviors that are not interrupted by conventional stimuli (social or gustatory) for more than a short period, and that consistently interfere with the animal’s ability to engage in what were formerly normal behaviors for that age and species. This form of licking can be directed at self (grooming) or toward floors, shiny objects, etc (exploratory). More extreme behaviors are associated with compulsive licking than with excessive licking, which may be just a subset of OCD (see below). It is not clear if the forms of the OCD are indicative of varying neuroanatomic or neurophysiologic pathogeneses. It is also possible that compulsive licking and excessive licking are merely 2 recognizable points on a continuum. Diagnosis of OCD is usually made only when the condition is fully developed—early stages are understudied. Compulsive and excessive licking are also seen in cats.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

have you tried training her not to lick???
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
Yeah, she knows "leave it" really well for most things. If I tell her to "leave it" when licking, she'll stop, look at me, then resume licking on another part of my body. Would you recommend another command to stop the licking?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

We have a Dachshund that licks everyone. She doesn't lick us, except in the AMs when she wants out. Or if we hold her for no reason.
When company comes that's all she wants to do. She's a sweet dog but licks them constantly. It drives them nuts and we have to put her up.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

if it were my dog i would say "no" or "stop that".
you can use any command you want it's the action
you take after the command is given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sep View Post
Yeah, she knows "leave it" really well for most things. If I tell her to "leave it" when licking, she'll stop, look at me, then resume licking on another part of my body. Would you recommend another command to stop the licking?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.