Puppy keeps eating bark/rocks!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy keeps eating bark/rocks!!!

My 8 week old boy keeps eating bark and rocks (among other things, as well) whenever WE go outside together for poo's and wee's. He is always tethered to me wherever he or I go, especially outside!

When I'm walking him around the yard to find him a spot, he will pull on the lead because he wants to eat a piece of bark or a rock. Once he's finally done his business he'll then reach down for a piece of bark or a rock all the way back to the door (sometimes squealing and yelping because he doesn't want to go inside, so I'll stay out and all he does is try eat bark and rocks). I've taken toys out for him to chew on when we go out, but he's not interested.

Now, it's difficult to avoid the bark or rocks because it's EVERYWHERE in the yard!

I'll reach into his mouth and pull it out every time but, i'd like to be able to go outside with him and not have to worry that he'll eat something he shouldn't.

I'm maybe thinking it's because he's not getting enough food. He gets 5/8 cup morning, lunch and dinner with treats in between, but sometimes I catch him sitting or scratching at the door to the room where I keep his food.

I've searched for other threads about this but I'm still unsure.
They say to exercise them to ware them out, but I always thought it was bad at his age.

Any ideas on what this may be or why he's doing it and how to stop it?

Thank you heaps in advance! You're all legends!

"My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am."
RebeccaSierra24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

My pup did same thing, i just kept yanking it out of his mouth and say "bad" its repetitive and it took a week or 2 but now he will look down at something(@ 18 weeks) then look at me to see if its ok, or he just ignore it all together.
persistence is key!
as for exercise at a young age get him to chase you around, or throw a toy ad get him to fetch, him may not bring it back but at this age its fine its mostly to get him to run alil cause 5-10 of playtime shoud tucker him out for a bit.
Grimsin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hello fellow Victorian How warm has it been!!! T-shirt weather in winter.....won't be long till the snakes are out
My Luther is 5 months old and he was a terrible rock eater!!! I don't know how many he ate but he managed to get a few down b4 I could stop him.
Basically I just had to watch him like a hawk and when he did go for one I would tell him NO and either pull him away or get it out of his mouth if he had one. He grew out of it by about 12 or 14 weeks i think but it is common and you just have to supervise all the time.....It felt like having a toddler all over again when you first take them outside
Good luck
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Masi was a big time rock eater as well, I was definately a paranoid momma because ingesting rocks can end up with a hefty surgical bill or could kill them if undetected

I was constantly supervising, AND carried around treats/a toy and would trade her up,,drop whats in your mouth, you get food/toy.. She finally grew out of it thank goodness.

However, I do have a friend with an almost 2 year old golden who STILL eats rocks whenever she gets the chance..I have no idea 'why'

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wolfie did the same thing. I had to fish things out of his mouth for a while. Your pup will grow out of it. Just keep fishing until he does.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Eating rocks, dirt, etc drove me crazy also...

but it went away after like 2-3 weeks...
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Masi was a big time rock eater as well, I was definately a paranoid momma because ingesting rocks can end up with a hefty surgical bill or could kill them if undetected

I was constantly supervising, AND carried around treats/a toy and would trade her up,,drop whats in your mouth, you get food/toy.. She finally grew out of it thank goodness.

However, I do have a friend with an almost 2 year old golden who STILL eats rocks whenever she gets the chance..I have no idea 'why'
Training opportunity like Jakoda said! Bring out some kibble and trade. Give kibble when not doing it so a random reward and saying something like good no rock or something....

Just fishing in there will teach the puppy...not much! Teaching them something will be good just in general!
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Training opportunity like Jakoda said! Bring out some kibble and trade. Give kibble when not doing it so a random reward and saying something like good no rock or something....

Just fishing in there will teach the puppy...not much! Teaching them something will be good just in general!
actually fishing worked will for me as he hates me opening his mouth and sticking my fingers halfway down his throat, so he learned quickly that if he dont want me to stick my hand down his throat then dont eat things laying on the ground lol, i find if you give him a treat for not doing it, how does he know thats the reason he is getting the treat, for all we know he could be thinking something totally different, im not much for "treat training" cause i hate dogs that do some good behaviour automatilcally go to your hands thinking they get a reward,listen to me cause i ask, not cause i have food...... i would rather just give them lots of praise/petting for doing something good.
my 2 brothers trained their dogs with treats, when we have a bbq their dogs WONT LEAVE US ALONE, mean while my dog is off chewing his toy cause he does not know what he is missing OR he is trying to play with the dogs cause he doesnt know why their so excited lols.
Grimsin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsin View Post
my 2 brothers trained their dogs with treats, when we have a bbq their dogs WONT LEAVE US ALONE, mean while my dog is off chewing his toy cause he does not know what he is missing OR he is trying to play with the dogs cause he doesnt know why their so excited lols.
Just wanted to mention - this behaviour has nothing to do with being trained with treats. It has to do with allowing the dogs to beg or otherwise be a nuisance when there's food on the table. If your brothers trained their dogs to go lie down or some such while people were eating, there would not be this problem.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Echo had a visit to the e-vet exactly 1 week after we brought him home (he was 9 weeks) - he had swallowed some small gravel that eventually passed, but not fun. We cranked up the "watchfulness" big time after that. He's 5 months now and will still grab a rock or a piece of mulch if it's in our path, but we taught him "leave it" pretty early so that is still used with a good bit of success. For awhile, we were saying leave it so much when walking, I was worried he'd associate it with heel. Only have to stick my hand in his mouth about once a week now .
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.