6 month old --- still biting! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6 month old --- still biting!

Our 6 month old female GSD is still biting us all the time! I'm worried that this behavior will be harder to break the older she gets. We ALWAYS redirect to a toy but she still feels compelled to bite us when she's excited, hungry, has to go out, or wants to play, or for no reason I can tell. Yelling NO! does not help. She barks back and gets excited which leads to more biting. She likes bitter apple taste, so that was useless. Other than that she's doing great with training. Seldom accidents, loose on leash walking, knows basic commands and some tricks, obeys her limits in the house (no couches, etc..). She gets lots of attention and plenty of exercise every day. Any further advice before we break down and get the shock collar? Should I even expect biting to stop at 6 months? Thanks for any advice.

'Shya' Xaera vom Nordosten Haus, GSD (b. Jan 2010)
'Behr' (2000-2009), GSD, always in my heart.
WynterCote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Give her something else to bite. It's not enough to say No or discourage the biting. Consider that the GSD is a herding breed and very mouthy by nature. Rather than fight instinct, shape it. I know you always redirect to the toy...but what do you do with it once you give it to her? Toys are not fun unless they move. Your hands probably move ALOT. Teach your dog to tug and carry the toy and bring it back to you will keep her mouth off your hands.
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Tampa Bay Working Dog Club
JKlatsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lakota is 5-1/2 months, she has learned bite inhabition from the other dogs, but occassionaly when she's playing, she will mouth me and realize who she has her little jaw clapped down on & then I can feel her loosen her grip almost with out me making a sound. I know she's still teething. She doesn't bite to get my attention. Actually she doesnt bark to ask to go out, I still have to watch for signs. One exercise I learned, teaching "leave it" was to hold a treat in your fist, of course pup will be sniffing, biting & clawing at your fist, when pup stops bitting, sniffing & clawing your fist, release the treat from your hand. That teaches them not to bite your hand. Maybe that would help a little.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

WynterCote,
I am going through the same exact thing, Jake is a little younger and really is a great pup...but sometimes WOW! He biting my arms instead of toy, my toes etc....
I have been giving him a lot more things to chew on...stuffing a kong with ground beef and freezing it, tons of bones and bully sticks....it seems to help if his jaws are tired...he bites and realizes it's my skin and releases.
If you find the magic bullet please share....LOL I was hoping Jake would be past this by 6 months.....OH NO!

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
jakeandrenee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Tire that puppy out! Give her lots of toys to chew when she tries to bite you put a toy in her mouth. When she bites you make a loud "ah ah" noise and stop playing with her, show her your back, if she continues to get out of hand then she should be put into a time out for 15-20 minutes wether you put her outside, in another room or is some sort of crate.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

How old was she when you got her? I second the re-direct theory. I used to freeze a wet wash cloth, shape it so its a rope/cylinder shape and give it to her to chew on. She loved it!
Cluemanti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have done that also...but use chicken broth....I got that idea from this forum. He stays with it longer then just water...I also use muffin tins to make ice and put a drop of broth in it and a few pieces of kibble. Really helps the teething. And I agree, exercise helps so much....he's a different puppy when he is tired.

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
jakeandrenee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

We honestly re-direct to a toy every time. We say "get your toy, ball, rope.." and she does and then we play. Those times are fine and fun.

But many during the day she bites and won't take a toy, just drops it and goes right for my hands/arms. If I say no she barks and jumps. I CANNOT turn my back at this point because I have many bruises on the backs of my legs and butt from trying this technique! We have to use the "reset" room (laundry room) for 10 or 15 minutes. But when she comes out, we get 5 minutes of a good dog and then its back to biting! Exercise is a great thing because a 1 mile walk around the neighborhood and we get about an hour of a pooped out pup. But if she's not lethargic from exercise, she's biting! There's no in-between normal dog time.

kiya - Thanks for the "leave-it" game advice -- we have not tried that yet and definitely will.

Cluemanit - We got our pup when she was 8 weeks old.

'Shya' Xaera vom Nordosten Haus, GSD (b. Jan 2010)
'Behr' (2000-2009), GSD, always in my heart.
WynterCote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Probably not what you want to hear...but sounds like a normal active GSD female! That's how our girl was...And at 2.5 years old now she's much better...but that's more because she's learned to calm down. Now she only gets mouthy when she gets REALLY excited and there's no toy to hand.

She's asking you to play. And it's her way of getting attention. With Anka...if I didn't want to play/focus on her, she had to be in her crate. She is only recently old enough to earn free time in the house. If she started to jump and bite me and I couldn't get her interested in a quiet activity like chewing on her bones- She'd go in her crate. She didn't know how to settle, there was too much going on in her body and her mind...She had to be doing SOMETHING.

Sometimes the best cure is maturity and time.
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Tampa Bay Working Dog Club
JKlatsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree- sounds like normal female behavior for that age. Uschi was relentless, she always had to be doing something. I had the same bruises, nips on the back of my legs from her trying to herd me, bite marks on my forearms, etc. Once she quit teething and hit 8 mos old it really subsided. Stosh, a male, is just now 6 mos old and he does a little playful nipping when he's excited, being petted, wants to go out, anything other than what he's doing at the time. When they try to bite my niece she grabs on to a tooth and holds it and they HATE that and leave her alone. The trainer put his thumb against the roof of their mouth and that seems to work for him.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.