Won't STOP barking!! Help please!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Won't STOP barking!! Help please!!

Help!!! Charlie is now about 5.5 months and BARKS at EVERYTHING!! He is a great driver, but when we are stopped at a light, a stop sign, anything...he goes crazy and barks with no sign of stopping. We have tried the "quiet" command, a pinch collar with a correction, and nothing helps. I feel like it is a fear based response on his part, but we don't know why? He has been very well socialized I feel and loves people once he meets them. I work at an office where I can bring him a couple times a week, and without fail every time someone walks up the stairs, Charlie goes crazy....barking and barking. He even breaks at children, which is awful....we are planning on starting a family soon and want to feel good about Charlie being around kids! I am so desperate for some advice....I don't want to have to resort to a barker breaker collar...but I feel like I am at my wits end! He's had 2 in home visits with dog trainers, and 1 puppy class and this is really his only issue. Any advice is appreciated!!
Charlie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mom View Post
Help!!! Charlie is now about 5.5 months and BARKS at EVERYTHING!! He is a great driver, but when we are stopped at a light, a stop sign, anything...he goes crazy and barks with no sign of stopping. We have tried the "quiet" command, a pinch collar with a correction, and nothing helps. I feel like it is a fear based response on his part, but we don't know why? He has been very well socialized I feel and loves people once he meets them. I work at an office where I can bring him a couple times a week, and without fail every time someone walks up the stairs, Charlie goes crazy....barking and barking. He even breaks at children, which is awful....we are planning on starting a family soon and want to feel good about Charlie being around kids! I am so desperate for some advice....I don't want to have to resort to a barker breaker collar...but I feel like I am at my wits end! He's had 2 in home visits with dog trainers, and 1 puppy class and this is really his only issue. Any advice is appreciated!!

ok, heres my advice, i have a barker, (see my sig line), get some pop cans rise them out, go to the dollar store and buy some marbles, put about 6 marbles in each can, tap the top closed, you`ll have to do this at home for now, when he starts barking for no reason throw the can at him, if he keeps it up throw the other cans, always say NO! or what ever command you use when you throw the can, he`ll think you lost your mind throwing things at him, but after a few times he`ll get the idea, this method also works for other negative behaviors, after awhile all you have to do is mention "Mr. can" or pick one up and he`ll stop

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Clicker and treats, with the Quiet command, worked for me. A prong collar just ramped her up but the clicker is a beautiful tool!
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken k View Post
ok, heres my advice, i have a barker, (see my sig line), get some pop cans rise them out, go to the dollar store and buy some marbles, put about 6 marbles in each can, tap the top closed, you`ll have to do this at home for now, when he starts barking for no reason throw the can at him, if he keeps it up throw the other cans, always say NO! or what ever command you use when you throw the can, he`ll think you lost your mind throwing things at him, but after a few times he`ll get the idea, this method also works for other negative behaviors, after awhile all you have to do is mention "Mr. can" or pick one up and he`ll stop
I am not an expert but could throwing cans at him possibly freak him out and cause him to have fear of balls or something?

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I thought you just shake the cans. Throwing them seems a little strange, but glad it works for the op.
Relayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I am not an expert but could throwing cans at him possibly freak him out and cause him to have fear of balls or something?
no, this method comes from a retired military trainer, that has been doing this for 45 years, others on this board use the can method also, my 3 have a fear of the can, nothing else

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I use the can/plastic bottle with stones or coins for a few things. Apache only has to see it and he immediately stops whatever he's doing, Kiya needs it rattled or thrown in her direction mostly for barking on the fence line. In the house when puppy gets too wild playing with Kiya or chasing the cats. I find it's much better than yelling "bla bla bla bla bla".
The element of suprise when thrown in thier direction is a quick "stop now" almost immediately for us.
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

it does work really well for those "fence runners"

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Old 06-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well...sometimes. What helps is when I walk to the fence, put myself between Kiya and the fence, then she walks away from the fence or I will take her by the collar. The neighbors are down to 1 dog and he's pretty good he doesnt run the fence.
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Shaking the can with the marbles I have heard of; not throwing at the dog.

And live with/married to a former military K9 instructor, trainer and handler.....
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.