Won't STOP barking!! Help please!! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't aim for my dogs, just in thier vicinity when it's intense fence barking outside. In my house the poor cats would have heart attacks if it was the can was thrown. I started using the can when Apache was a pup about 7-1/2 years ago, recommended by his breeder & my trainer.
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken k View Post
it does work really well for those "fence runners"
Ahhhh...interesting. Hondo runs the fence when ever we fire up the tractor or lawn mower, barking like an idiot. Drives me nuts. And with the (loud) equipment running, he really doesn't focus on voice commands. I'm not opposed to trying the marbles in the can.

I would suppose I need to work on it before I work with the equipment because he won't hear the marbles, and will just chase the can..... but I could utilize it for the barking at the cats and running the fence, and then he'd associate stop barking/running when he sees the can (or bottle), right? I would also add the verbal command too, right?
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Ahhhh...interesting. Hondo runs the fence when ever we fire up the tractor or lawn mower, barking like an idiot. Drives me nuts. And with the (loud) equipment running, he really doesn't focus on voice commands. I'm not opposed to trying the marbles in the can.

I would suppose I need to work on it before I work with the equipment because he won't hear the marbles, and will just chase the can..... but I could utilize it for the barking at the cats and running the fence, and then he'd associate stop barking/running when he sees the can (or bottle), right? I would also add the verbal command too, right?

after a few times, all he has to do is see you pick up the can, he`ll stop

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie86 View Post
Shaking the can with the marbles I have heard of; not throwing at the dog.

And live with/married to a former military K9 instructor, trainer and handler.....

so what do you do when the pup ignores the "shaking of the can"? to be honest it does not matter to me if anybody believes or have heard of this method or not, some may think its cruel and or mean, the OP has a problem with her pup, 2 instructors later and her problem is not solved, and she`s concerned about the pup barking at kids, which she wants to have later, so what about the pup?, if this behavior is not brought under control whats next for the PUP, a "rehome" or a trip to the pound because they dont know how to deal with the problem, its just a suggestion whether or not they use it, is up to them, but at least a suggestion is out there

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

When Dexter started his barking at everything phase, instead of trying to figure out why he was barking I tryed to shake a can of penny's to quiet him, he barked louder and lunged for the can of penny's, took it, rolled it on the ground and played with it and "killed it" I am pretty sure If i ever threw it he prob would have chased it.... needless to say that method def didn't work for us, and I realized that the same thing dose not work on every dog, there are no quick fixs when it comes to any animals behavior (human or canine)

Dogs are creatures with feelings emotions If you believe your dog is barking out of fear, i wouldn't recommend punishment to try and stop it! You have a very young puppy on your hands kinda like a pre-teen, very impressionable, still learning, still bonding with you learning to trust you. Throwing something at the dog to try to stop a behavior may stop the dog from barking, but why was your dog barking to begin with, because he is afraid? Now that doesnt seem very fair, teaching your dog to listen to you out of fear will more then likely damage your relationship, and your dog will learn to not trust you.
A better way, when your dog starts to bark (if you learn to catch your dog right before he starts even better!) redirect him to you, Once you can get his attention away from whatever is scary and he stops, give him something he REALLY loves, maybe a delicious treat, a tug game, a job, sit/down/stay for a treat? I personally don't want a dog that respects me out of fear, I want a relationship that is built on mutual trust.
If your dog is sacred of something he needs to know his "leader" is there to protect him to call the shots about whatever it is that is scary. Its really not fair to punish a dog for something he doesn't understand is wrong.

The what were the instructions the trainers you used before? If you are not happy with your current trainer, there are bundles of great trainers all with many different methods and ideas you could always look into as well... i am sure you could find great recommendations on this board. In the meantime I also second, Teaching your dog how to speak and be quiet on cue for fun and bonding
nysirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Fritz was a machine gun barker at everything. 3 weeks of a dogtra collar has it reduced to almost nothing and never needing to use it.
lrodptl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
dOg
Elite Member

Default Can of Noise

It works because the sound interrupts the dog's behavior, and
then once interrupted, the misbehavior stops, and the dog can then be redirected.

Doesn't matter if it's pebbles, coins or what in the can. Bend the can's sides so it doesn't roll much and toss it.

This is the same method described by "The Puppy Wizard" who stole the idea from Dr. Dare Miller, who did the research and developed throw chains eons ago.

It's not cruel, it's a useful application of sound and science and involves
no pain, no compulsive correction which causes a breakdown of the bond, and costs nothing,
uses no electrocution.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

My dog is afraid of a squirt bottle...you know, the ones used for cleaning; we had some empty ones and filled one with water when he was a puppy (since he hates water spraying at him anyway) and we used it to correct barking in the house (at nothing) and that's pretty much all we corrected. But even to this day if I pick up the squirt bottle he'll shy away from me...although he's brave if it's not in my hand. This method only works if the dog doesn't enjoy water being squirted at them...and the dog is responsive to training; I would have to squirt him once and say 'no' and he'd respond to it. Some dogs aren't quite that easy. haha
Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Would this work while your on a walk? SHould I carry the can during our walks like in a pocket or something? Hero is great in the house and most the time in the care but as soon as we are out ANYWHERE he barks maniacally at EVERYTHING!! dogs, people, squirrels, trees, cats, kids, he wants EVERYONE to know he is there. He is pulling on the leash and going nuts. My wife went and got a bark collar but I really don't like it and I don't think it works, he will bark on and on get shocked, bark like he is scared or hurt then keep barking... I have to basically put him in a sit, and hug him close to get his attention. I really want to socialize him more but he is kinda rude so it makes it hard, when he was younger we took him to petsmart and petco all the time but now he is just so loud in there I can't do it to them. He is 5 months old almost and has completed Puppy kindegarden and passed his AKC S.T.A.R Puppy certification. The hurricane sandy has stopped us from going onto basic obedience until the school opens. He did great in class! I exersize him daily and he doesn't bark at my 2 kids or wife but god forbid someone comes to the door or he sees you while we are walking. He is getting so **** strong it is getting harder to control him. Any advise would be great!!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In the car: crate him with a meat filled Kong and block his view by covering the crate with towels. Allow for some ventilation. Then ignore everything he does. Scaring an already frightened dog is sad and leads to more problems.
If you have a helper, have that person click and treat (but dog in the crate) for being quiet.
Safe travels.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.