Peeing when excited/nervous....do they outgrow it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Peeing when excited/nervous....do they outgrow it?

Ranger is 10 weeks....and he pees when he gets excited or nervous. He doesnt do it every time. When I come home and let him out...he doesnt do it when he's excited to see me. He does it when my husband is around and he did it at the vet's office today. I think he's a little scared of my husband...he yells sometimes. I think he did it too when running through the kid's play tunnels. He either peed because he was excited...or he just peed in it and ran through it.

Do puppies outgrow this? Is it behavioral....or developmental? Anythign I can do to help him not do it?
lauramichelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Peeing when excited/nervous....do they outgrow it?

If you can anticipate when you're husband will be coming home and greeting the puppy, I'd let Ranger out to pee right before he sees him. The same with the vet office, try to get him to go potty before going in. I'd say its perfectly normal and he will grow out of it.

<span style="color: red">Markos Ezekiel vom Spartanville (Zeke)- Born July 2008</span>
rucker105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are plenty of threads on this issue if you just look around the puppy section. I've never had this issue, but my friends boxer did it. I think it's called submissive urination or something like that. They grow out of it eventually, but there's plenty of tips on how to handle it when it happens, just look around a little.

If he's doing it when he's playing and excited, my guess is he just isnt being let out enough. How often are you taking him out? Puppies have no control over their bladder so they need to be taken out all the time. Like at least once an hour, maybe more. Always take out after getting out of the kennel, waking up, playing, going for a walk, eating, etc.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine did (outgrow the pee-ing thing). Had one bitch that never did though so I guess the best answer is..... it all depends (no pun intended).
Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a 2+ yr. old female foster who was an abuse case. She has a huge problem with this.
wsumner26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Jessie Jane had a terrible problem with anxiety peeing when we first rescued her. This was her fourth home at 15 mos. She overcame this with hugs and reassurances. But a puppy that age I would think doesn't have complete control over his bladder yet or his happy button.

I will say that Jessie would do this whenever a voice was raised although it was never to yell at her. When she realized this, that helped too. We just yell to each other across the house or calling some dog or other critter to come to us. Maybe your husband could try to control this and also try to show extra affection to Ranger? Best to nip it in the bud, this is such a formative time for the little guy. Actually, human kids do the same thing. But you've had some excellent suggestions above. There's a wealth of info in the archives.
Strongheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.