German Shepherds Forum banner

Can I feed only commercial raw patties to a puppy?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cup-of-Tea 
#1 ·
My 8 week old pup has soft stools from 2 kibble brands we tried (Fromm and Taste of the Wild), but she has normal stools from frozen raw patties. Would feeding just the raw patties (Stella and Chewy's and Nature's Valley Instinct Raw) be sufficient or do they need to be supplemented?

#2 ·
With my next pup I will only use raw a few times a week, but not as their main diet. I just am not convinced that raw is the perfect food for a growing pup as nutrition is so critical at that time in their lives. Just because it 'commercial' doesn't mean it is complete. I am sure that companies are cashing in on the fact that raw seems to get more popular.

#3 ·
I ran out and my delivery didn't come so I ran out and got the Turkey and Sardine(I think it was primal) I was pretty impressed with the ingredients and the dogs loved it. 4 meals costed an arm and a leg but if I had one dog I would go that route. I felt it had better ingredients then kibble and it was fresh. Again I was very impressed.

#5 ·
Puppies and growing dogs need a lot of calories. I have to add baked sweet potatoes, brown rice or 1.5 cups dehydrated food to 3% of body weight prepared raw and my pup is 21 months. I agree with wolfy dog in that I wouldn't feed a puppy that young a raw diet, too much protein, calcium and not enough calories. Fromm and TOW can cause soft stools for some puppies. What did your puppy eat when you got her? How were her stools? She's too young to be trying to switch kibbles so much. I fed my pup what the breeder had fed, Royal Canin Medium breed puppy then transitioned to Maxi breed puppy at 4 months or so. Everyone hates the ingredients but she grew just and had decent stools with that kibble. I've never heard anyone complain their dog had soft stools with Victor kibble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.