German Shepherds Forum banner

Raw Bone Question

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  melissajancie 
#1 ·
I just gave my puppy (5 months) his first raw marrow bone. I got it at the feed store and they are for dogs.

It says to take it away after 1 day. Does this mean he can keep it for a whole day, or should I take it away occasionally and put it in a freezer bag in the fridge and return it to him later?

Thanks!

Karla

#2 ·
I take the bones away for a while during the day, when they naturally lose interest, then give it back. More so because I want to be the "owner" of the bone and "she who giveth and take away". Sometimes they just naturally fall asleep with it, and sometimes their little jaws get tired.

#5 ·
I would just put it in a bag and toss it in the fridge. It won't take him long to get the meat off it.

I would caution against playing games with him and taking it away. You gave it to him, it's his. Messing with his bones and other high value things are a good way to create a resource guarder. If he's done, pick it up. If you want to take it, trade him something. I've never just taken something from my dogs. I want them to know it's theirs....simply for that ONE time I do have to take something in a hurry, there won't be a fight.

#6 ·
You gave it to him, it's his. Messing with his bones and other high value things are a good way to create a resource guarder. If he's done, pick it up. If you want to take it, trade him something.
I don't really agree with this, but also it seems sort of contradictory. I've had a dog that I adopted that had serious resource guarding issues and the way I combated it was like you said .... by trading for a toy, another treat and then what I did was 'traded' for praise. It would be the same concept of taking the bone away, giving praise. Pretty soon I had my raw fed dogs able to drop whatever bone they had by putting my hand out, this was really useful when I'd give them chicken quarters and I'd notice something on the bone I wasn't comfortable with etc. I don't think they meant 'oh it's a game' but more of a training exercise, you know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.