Thoughts on dehydrated raw food. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on dehydrated raw food.

Has any one tried, or does anyone have an opinion on the EasyRaw dehydrated dog food?
Dehydrated Dog Food - Raw Made Easy | Only Natural Pet EasyRaw

We are thinking of eventually moving our new pup (get her in just 2 weeks) to a raw diet, and are also thinking it would be good for our older non-gsd dog.

Due to a number of factors we are limited in our ability to prepare our own raw diet for our dog. This seems like a nice option, as it is still a raw diet, but it looks like it stores well and would be easy come meal time. Definitely more expensive then even high quality, grain-free kibble (what we give our dogs now) but it looks like it would be affordable for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 08:24 PM
Knighted Member

I supplement my raw with some dehydrated raw. I've seen that brand on their website, but haven't heard any feedback on it. I feed The Honest Kitchen personally. I've used their Preference Base Mix (just mix in raw with it), and have tried their complete meals like Chicken and Quinoa (on currently), and have used their two value lines which are Revel (chicken) and Keen (turkey). My dog has liked all that he's eaten so far and THK uses all human grade ingredients.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Elite Member

Just looking over the ingredient list... that is a whole lot of $$$ for not a lot of meat.

I would contact the company before purchasing and inquire about the temperatures the food was dehydrated at. If the temps were too high then you are defeating the purpose of raw feeding.

I would look into ziwipeak. It's closer to a raw diet. Mostly meat, organ and bone. Air dried like beef jerky at low enough temperatures to keep enzymes and nutrients intact

They also use all grass fed hormone and antibiotic free meats, have absolute zero China ingredients (their vit mix is sourced from australia, Europe and North America) and do quality testing out the wazoo.

Here are the main ingredients
Beef Meat, Beef Liver, Beef Lung, Beef Tripe, New Zealand Green Mussel, Lecithin, Inulin from Chicory, Dried Kelp, Parsley, Vitamins & Minerals

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Knighted Member

Here is the difference between the terminology of how the foods are processed (from true carnivores):

DEHYDRATED:

Dehydration is one of the earliest methods of preserving food by removing all moisture, making the end product smaller and lighter. Dehydrated dog and cat food is processed at very low heat for a very long time to draw any moisture out of the food. Because of the small amount of heat used, the food is not considered completely raw but is also far from being considered ‘cooked’. Dehydrated pet food still falls under the category of raw food because it contains very similar nutrients, enzymes, amino acids and vitamins to that of raw frozen food.

This one looks and feels completely different from the other two methods:

AIR-DRIED

Raw pet food that is air-dried, has all moisture removed via evaporation. The process is very similar to dehydration, without the addition of heat. Air drying minimizes damage to proteins, vitamins and sensitive nutrients and enzymes contained in the natural ingredients so your pet is getting nearly all the benefits of a raw food diet. Air dried pet food retains its conformation quite well, resisting any crumbling that may result from freeze-dried food.

FREEZE-DRIED:

When raw pet food is freeze dried, this essentially means that all moisture is removed from the food, while still keeping the food frozen. This ensures that all liquid is removed without moving the food from a raw state. In order to achieve this, without going into too much detail, the raw food is first frozen and then through a process of low temperature and pressure, the liquid is phased from a solid to a gas. This takes out all moisture without actually allowing the liquid phase to take place. By bypassing the liquid state, you can be assured that your pets food was never exposed to temperatures above freezing. Thus making freeze dried food nutritionally equal to its frozen counterpart, except for the lack of moisture.

Since he is a puppy, and needs the correct Calcium/Phosphorus ratio, make sure that the information on the food you choose says something like:
"formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages" OR suitable for puppies

Best of luck!
Moms

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM

I may try that food as I've been looking for a dehydrated Lamb food. I feed The Honest Kitchen beef. This food is lower in calories than THK so I guess you'll have to feed more of it. Also the calcium to phosphorus ratio is 1:1. Not sure about effects of this? I've read many times the ideal ratio for a growing GSD pup is 1.2:1.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Knighted Member

Only Natural Pet is a retailer, out of Colorado. I buy a lot of stuff from them, but not their private-label food.

The reason I haven't tried their private label food is that I haven't figured out yet who the manufacturer is. I'd really like to know that -- hidden manufacturers creep me out. I'm not saying they're intentionally hiding anything for bad reasons...just that I'm the sort of consumer who would want to know who the manufacturer is and check into their quality-control.

ONP is a great retailer. I don't know enough about their contract with the mfr for their line of dehydrated food to form an opinion about it (and I haven't tried feeding it). If anyone finds out more about who makes it, please post here!

Other brands to look at include Sojos (they are more convenient than THK because they sell their food in huge sacks not just 7# boxes), so you could separate into smaller bags and store in your deep freeze at substantial savings.

Dr. Harveys is another one, at about the same price point as THK. It's a freeze-dried food (mix of meat and veg). I tried their Veg-to-Bowl base mix, but it didn't do as well for my allergy-prone dog as THK's preference. If you want to investigate it, it's here:
https://www.drharveys.com/products/dogs

Wysong's Archetype was one of the first freeze-dried foods. I'd forgotten about them until recently. Raw Dog Food & Treats*|*Wysong
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Knighted Member

Magwart, do you have a link to the big bags of Sojos? I wanted to look at it, but only see 8 lb sacks for sale. THK complete meals come in up to 10 lb boxes (base mixes up to 7 lbs). I would like to get something bigger if possible, although I only give 1 cup a day of the complete mix, added to his raw he gets.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Knighted Member

I use the primal freeze dried nuggets but use it only as a topper because it's crazy expensive. They love it. Primal does carry the raw food I had used the pronto and honest kitchen when I did raw once or twice a week but really have not kept that up. I like the freeze dried as you can add it to your dry food.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
Magwart, do you have a link to the big bags of Sojos? I wanted to look at it, but only see 8 lb sacks for sale.
No. The last time I was in the little specialty store near where we vacation in Colorado, the guy in the store showed me the Sojo base mix (pre-mix) in orange bags that were 25 and 40 pounds. I didn't look at the other varieties. Maybe it's just the base mix that comes in such big bags? The 40 pounder was about $100, which is significantly cheaper than THK's base mix (it's grain-based instead of vegetable/fruit based).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:35 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
No. The last time I was in the little specialty store near where we vacation in Colorado, the guy in the store showed me the Sojo base mix (pre-mix) in orange bags that were 25 and 40 pounds. I didn't look at the other varieties. Maybe it's just the base mix that comes in such big bags? The 40 pounder was about $100, which is significantly cheaper than THK's base mix (it's grain-based instead of vegetable/fruit based).
@Galathiel
Looking at Sojos website it looks like the only mix they sell in 25 and 40 lb bags is their Original Base mix that is NOT grain free. The largest size all of their other mixes come in is 8 lbs. 8 lbs does rehydrate to 40 lbs of food. I have been looking into giving Sojos a try myself.
If you can't find it locally Chewy.com and Amazon both sell Sojo's

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page