Raw Diet Poop-White Poop - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Raw Diet Poop-White Poop

I recently changed from Nupro Gold to Nupro Silver. Nothing else in my dog's diet has changed but his poop is now light or white..small amounts, solid, but white. I'm confused. Doesn't white mean too much bone content?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Crowned Member

If the stool was white-ish right after the first feeding of the "Silver" Nupro, I would suspect the product due to the additional "Joint Formula" that was added to the "Gold" daily supplement.

Nupro Silver (site #1) Ingredients: Glucosamine Complex, MSM, Ester-C Chelated Mineral Blend, Norwegian Kelp, Organic Cold-Milled Ground Whole Flaxseed, Nutritional Yeast Cultures, Desiccated Liver, Amino Acids and Enzymes, Garlic, Calcium Citrate, Lecithin, and Lactobacillus Acidophilus.
Nupro Silver (site #2)Ingredients - Organic cold-milled whole flaxseed, Norwegian kelp, Propietary blend (Bee pollen, Lactobacillus acidophilus), Glucosamine Sulfate KCI (Shellfish), MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane), Vitamin C (as Ester-C, Chelated Calcium Ascorbate), Shark Cartilage (Source of Chondroitin Sulfate), Calcum Citrate, Desiccated Liver, Garlic, Lecithin, Nutritional Yeast Cultures (Vegetable Source).

Nupro Gold (site #1) Ingredients; Desiccated Liver, Norwegian Kelp, Amino Acids and Enzymes, Imported Yeast Cultures, Flaxseed, Lecithin, Garlic Concentrate, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, and Calcium Citrate.
Nupro Gold (site #2) Active Ingredients - Desiccated Liver (Pork), Norwegian Kelp, Bee Pollen, Imported Yeast Culture, Flaxseed, Lecithin, Garlic Concentrate, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Calcium Citrate

Moms
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mom. :-) When you highlighted the MSM i remembered that i was also giving 1/2 tsp MSM when i was feeding the gold but stopped with the silver. I guess i'll switch back to gold since everything was good.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh and Jagger View Post
Thanks Mom. :-) When you highlighted the MSM i remembered that i was also giving 1/2 tsp MSM when i was feeding the gold but stopped with the silver. I guess i'll switch back to gold since everything was good.
The Chondroitin/Glucosamine/MSM/Vit. C in the Silver is good for the joints.

His stool may even out in a few days once his body adjusts.

How old is he?

Which raw diet are you following?

Moms
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
The Chondroitin/Glucosamine/MSM/Vit. C in the Silver is good for the joints.

His stool may even out in a few days once his body adjusts.

How old is he?

Which raw diet are you following?

Moms
Hello I have the same light color stool issue with my pup on raw. I also feed her NuVet Plus Vitamins supplements and Cosequin DS Joint Health Supplements. Do you think that might be why and should I stop? The joint supplement specifically advertised for Glucosamine. The time when I received the supplements via shipping was around the same time I started raw! She is 3 and a half month old right now and is eating a chicken blend prepared by a local trainer. Thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

First, I would check the bone % in the mix your trainer is making.
(please make sure that this home-made food
"meets the AAFCO standard for complete and balanced nutrition for ALL life stages" )

What you might want to consider doing is to stop One (1) of the supplements for a few days, and see if the color changes.

Then stop the second supplement to note changes.
Which ever product you stop second, add that one back to the diet first to see if stool changes color. That way you'll have your proof of both being fed separately and can form a plan from there.

Depending on which formula you are using, some of the Cosequin products contain questionable ingredients:

Yellow #5: From the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI): “Yellow #5: May be contaminated with such cancer-causing substances as benzidine and 4-aminobiphenyl (or chemicals that the body converts to those substances).
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or SLS: can cause hormone imbalance, protein denaturing and carcinogenicity.
The AJT report (American Journal of Toxicology) states that "Other studies have indicated that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate enters and maintains residual levels in the heart, the liver, the lungs and the brain from skin contact. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate had an LD 50 (Lethal Dose for 50% of the animals tested) of 0.8 to 110 g/kg in rats. A formulation containing 15% caused depression, labored breathing, diarrhea and death in 4 out of 20 animals.
FD&C Blue #1 : Per CSPI Tests on lab animals of Blue 1, Blue 2, Green 3, Red 40, Yellow 5, and Yellow 6 showed signs of causing cancer or suffered from serious flaws.

So you may want to consider switching to something more natural for such a young pup like raw chicken's feet.
Or The Nu Vet company (where you purchase the vitamin supplement) produces a Condroitin/Glucosamine product:
NuVet Product Purity: http://www.nuvet.com/products.html?sectionid=32 More than mere vitamins, NuVet® goes beyond industry standards by using natural, human-grade ingredients that are microscopically tested for purity and potency. We then utilize a FDA registered laboratory for formulation and specially compound using state-of-the-art manufacturing techniques.
NuJoint Plus: http://www.nuvet.com/products.html?sectionid=18

Here is another product:
K9 Level 5000: http://liquidhealthpets.com/k9-level-5000 - Contains a comprehensive blend of natural, cutting-edge support ingredients to further enhance its effectiveness. These ingredients include Aquamin® Algae mineral blend, enzyme support from Bromelain, antioxidant support from grape seed extract, and Boswellia.
Liquid Health’s™ most powerful formula yet! 5200 mg of Glucosamine Hcl and sulfate forms per serving. With a colossal 100 mg of Hyaluronic Acid, 1000 mg of Opti-MSM®, and 1000 mg of Chondroitin, K9 Level 5000 contains exceptionally high doses of the most widely used joint ingredients found in one product.
Keep refrigerated
About the ingredients: http://www.liquidhealthpets.com/down...oducts2011.pdf

Hope that helps!
Moms
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Hope that helps!
Moms
I don't know how to mention someone on the forum, but hey thanks a lot definitely help! I chose Cosequin because quite a few people with dogs with joint injuries said the product helped in their reviews and since my floors are slippery wood floors all over the house, I thought some soft tissue injuries would be inevitable for a happy running pup as from my experiences, puppies would run and fall at corners and bump into furnitures because of their poor motor skills and the slippery floors. I will definitely try your suggestion to eliminate the cause of white stool though, thanks for pointing the method out! I agree I need to do more research on the supplements and I will enlist my vet's help (she suggested Cosequin to me as well!). Thanks

I will ask my supplier their bone mix next time they deliver, the person is in the dog training and raw field for a very long time so hopefully he knows what he is doing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecat View Post
I don't know how to mention someone on the forum, but hey thanks a lot definitely help! I chose Cosequin because quite a few people with dogs with joint injuries said the product helped in their reviews and since my floors are slippery wood floors all over the house, I thought some soft tissue injuries would be inevitable for a happy running pup as from my experiences, puppies would run and fall at corners and bump into furnitures because of their poor motor skills and the slippery floors. I will definitely try your suggestion to eliminate the cause of white stool though, thanks for pointing the method out! I agree I need to do more research on the supplements and I will enlist my vet's help (she suggested Cosequin to me as well!). Thanks

I will ask my supplier their bone mix next time they deliver, the person is in the dog training and raw field for a very long time so hopefully he knows what he is doing.
Unfortunately, most western medicine vet's do not research ingredients. They also think Science Diet is a great food!
Researching ingredients has been a hobby of mine for the last 20 years!

Make sure that you contact the joint supplement company that you choose and ask for specific dosage for a very young pup!

Best of luck to you with your pup!
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 01-17-2017 at 03:31 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:42 PM

From my experience white poop is usually undigested bone in the diet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rallhaus German Shepherds
Deer Park, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page