Food questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Food questions

Hello All,
I some questions regarding my 9 month old, 83 pound, male GSD and I know this is a great place to get advice.
First I will state that I was one of those arrogant people who thought she knew enough to handle a GSD after not having a dog in 30 years. Please don't judge me harshly, because I now acknowledge how arrogant and wrong I was.

Anyway, to my questions regarding Luka:

Currently feeding 6 cups of Fromm's large breed puppy food mixed with 1/3 can of puppy canned food (because he won't eat straight dry food) a day. Recently he seems to have lost interest in his food. We have to coax him to eat breakfast. Tonight I was curious and before mixing his supper, I offered him some of his Fromm's kibble. He was uninterested. He did eat his supper, so I'm wondering if he has decided he doesn't like the Fromm's. Suggestions?

This is a tough question: how much exercise is a good daily amount for him? I would say he is a medium to high activity level GSD. In the mornings he either spends and hour to two hours at the dog park or he goes to the park and walks about 1.5 miles and then in the evenings he gets. 30 minutes to one hour of walking. I am trying to build myself up to 2 miles but I've got some health issues and sometimes walking is painful. We are working on adding a backpack with about 10% of his weight in it, that doesn't phase him at all. Please know that he has had inflamed growth plates in the past so we ae trying to balance his activity with the possibility of the inflammation reoccurring. Once he stops growing, that will know longer be a concern.

I have read suggestions for doing "nose work" but nobody has explained how to do nose work with him. I have tried playing hide the treats, but he doesn't seem to use his nose, he just plows through the plastic containers used to hide the treat until he finds it.how do I teach him to use his nose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	401114  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Elite Member

You can switch him to Fromm large breed adult. I add a half pound of raw lean meat to my dogs kibble. Mix it in like you were making a meatloaf. Add a little hot water to the mix. He will probably never get tired of raw meat and mixing it like that will ensure he has to eat the kibble in order to get the meat. I only add meat in the evening meal. If he doesn't eat breakfast no big deal if he's hungry he'll eat the AM kibble dry.
What is his obedience training like. A balance of physical exercise with mental stimulation works best for my dogs. You and your vet knows your dogs physical limits better than anyone on the Internet. Follow his advice and if needed to tire the dog up his obedience part.
There are plenty of really knowledgeable people in nose work. I'm sure they will chime in here in a bit.
BTW nice looking dog.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 AM

It turns out that GSDs can be finicky eaters. I use the "if you don't eat it in 15 minutes I'm putting it away" technique. Since I serve a smaller breakfast I can use it later as part of dinner. For dinner I give kibble with some sort of topper, some canned food or meat scraps. My boy gets a bully stick for "dessert" and my gal gets a big crunchy carrot. Are my dogs spoiled? Yeah, somewhat.

For treats and nose work, first you have to show them what you want. For instance my husband hides my cup of coffee and my boy has to find it. I started by showing him my cup of coffee on the low table. If he put his nose next to it he got a treat. After he got good at that we hid it in easy places. We also taught him he doesn't get a treat for empty mugs. Now we can hide the coffee in a cabinet or in a closet and he can still find it.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Knighted Member

My pup was finicky and had a hard time holding weight on Fromm. Also loose stool issues. One thing was it seemed like he had to eat so much Fromm and he just didn't want it. He would eat some and then walk away

He is now eating Victor High Energy or whatever it is in the red bag. I rotate between evangers salmon, lamb, and lamb tripe mixed in. He chows every meal now the minute I put it down, is maintaining weight on about 3 cups and 1 can per day (sometimes a bit more if he has had a really active day and seems extra hungry)...plus often he gets a bully stick or a trachea and of course training treats.

I tried him on a few other kibble in between and he definitely does best on the Victor.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Knighted Member

Sorry I should add with regard to food amount, he really isn't a "pup" anymore, he is like 19 Mos now I think, so probably growth spurts are over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page